Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Those Amazing Egos
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kirtanman

USA
1651 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2006 :  02:41:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit Kirtanman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message

"Resistance only perpetuates the efforts of the ego".
-- Anthem11, Situation Thread, Satsang Cafe Folder

I certainly agree, but would go a bit further, and say that resistance is the ego [or, probably even more accurately: the ego is resistance].

No resistance - no ego.

Adyashanti points out that people in "spiritual circles" often think of the ego as a permanent, undesirable figure -- kind of an evil twin, or a shadow self ..... which is not the case.

He likens ego to hunger.

Hunger can sure feel like a self, and can occupy just about all of our attention, actions and reactions --- until our hunger is filled, and then ... "Voila!" - no hunger.

Ego is just like that.

I literally sat in a meditation group where the leader said, "We are dealing with nothing less than the Death of the Ego!"

This may be a pointer that is somewhat accurate, and helpful for some ... but not for me.

To me this sounds like an excellent recipe for drama and distraction - which may be what some of us choose to experience -- and I can't speak for any of you, of course - but I've had just about enough drama and distraction.

And as with so many things, we tend to want to "mind it" to death (i.e. "Well, if I like blue .... that's still ego!").

[Maybe, Maybe Not]

Adya has [yet another] little quote I love:

"Sense of self is an operational necessity".

Sense of self doesn't mean:

A. That there's a self; just that there's a sense of self.

&

B. That there's an ego; ego implies resistance [spiritually / yogically speaking; I'm not converse with formal psychological definitions of ego].

Thoughts?

Comments?

(And none needing - just hoping these words serve our shared goals.]

Namaste,

Kirtanman

Sparkle

Ireland
1457 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2006 :  05:03:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit Sparkle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I like that Kirtanman
The idea of the the ego , which in these circles is generally regarded as "that which prevents enlightenment" is described by you as "resistance". I love this, it ties in with the notion of "surrender" beautifully.

There has been debate here about the meaning of the word ego and there seems to be so many definitions that people here might be reluctant to use the term.
However, I here it being used all the time and so it has to be addressed, I believe.
It is commonly understood that we need ego to survive and then we might have what Freud described as the superego which I think is better described by you as resistance. Perhaps it could be called Resistance Ego.

I'm sure others will describe it beter than me, but just wanted to show appreciation for your post.
Louis
Go to Top of Page

emc

2072 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2006 :  06:07:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I like the "death of the ego"-thing. It is how I experience it. When "awareness hits me" as I formulate myself at the moment, there is actually noone there to like or dislike ANYTHING, not even the colour blue. There is noone there to care about past memories or future worries or plans. The ego is not of any concern at all. It still carries memories and plans, but it is of no relevance at all. My wantings, ideas or whatever is "dead". I see my body-mind with all its characteristics as a vehicle. My and others attributes building identity is irrelevant. Feelings produced by thoughts about past or future are non-existent. I have no feelings. Only a condition of peace and love. But these moments come in short glimpses. I just get a taste of ego-death. But the memory lingers... and bakhti increases...

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000