AYPsite.org Forum
 Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 new to AYP
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

babaram

5 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2006 :  8:29:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit babaram's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi,
I have only been meditating with "I AM" for a short time and have questions (I have done other types of meditation). The important thing in deep meditation is "sound," not meaning. Does that mean that one consciously listens to the mantra as one repeats it in one's mind? Or, does the sound asutomatically have the desired effect?
Also...if it is difficult to repeat the mantra, one does not repeat it (apparently)...one lets the attention go to the thoughts or sensations until it is again easy to repeat the mantra (is that correct?) What if it is only a little unpleasant to repeat the mantra (maybe due to fatigue or a slight headache)? Should one then persist in repeating the mantra? Or should one wait until it is very easy (and pleasant?)?
Babaram

Edited by - AYPforum on Feb 03 2007 12:58:49 AM

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2006 :  9:16:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome Babaram.

"Does that mean that one consciously listens to the mantra as one repeats it in one's mind? Or, does the sound asutomatically have the desired effect?"

Babaram, you dont have to listen to the sound... like Yogani says in Lesson#115
"The mind settles down to stillness best when using the vibration alone. Meanings tend to pull us to the surface of the mind, so we easily let them go and favor the finer levels of the vibration of the mantra. Meanings and language are for the outer word. Vibrations naturally becoming finer and finer are for the inner world of pure bliss consciousness. The mantra is for that. It is not a word of meaning. It is a vibrational vehicle that refines and disappears as we ride to the infinite every day."

Look here and here for some good discussions on the "i am" mantra.

"What if it is only a little unpleasant to repeat the mantra (maybe due to fatigue or a slight headache)? Should one then persist in repeating the mantra? Or should one wait until it is very easy (and pleasant?)?"

Well, if the unplesant feeling is not bothering you.. and you can go back to the mantra, why certainly go back to it.. you only have to back off if the feelings are too unpleasant and you cannot stay with the mantra. Only you can decide your level of comfort.

In lesson#15 Yogani says
"Sometimes physical discomfort can happen during meditation. This is usually a symptom of the release of obstructions in the nervous system. If it interferes with the easy process of meditation, then pause with the mantra and allow the attention to be drawn to the physical discomfort. Just be with it for a while. Usually, this will dissolve the discomfort naturally. Once it does, go back to the mantra and continue your meditation until your time is up. Count the time you spent with your attention on the physical discomfort as part of your meditation time. If the sensation does not dissolve, lie down for while, until the sensation subsides."

I hope this helps. Thank you for joining us. Wish you all the best in your path...
Go to Top of Page

babaram

5 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2006 :  10:02:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit babaram's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you, Shanti. Your suggestions are appreciated.
Go to Top of Page

Babaly

USA
112 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2006 :  10:26:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit Babaly's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome Babaram!!

I think Shanti covered everything beautifully in her answer to you. I'll second it.

Just wanted to welcome you to this forum, you'll find a lot of info here and like minded souls...

The great thing about Yogani's presentation of these ancient teachings is that they work (very powerfully) so even though you have done other meditations, know that these ones can knock your socks off (thank God - they work) so just keep in mind the advice of self-pacing.

Best of luck on your path:-)

Babaly
Go to Top of Page

AYPforum

351 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2007 :  12:58:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Moderator note: Topic moved for better placement
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000