Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Questions about Yogani advice
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

reidmantra

United Arab Emirates
57 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2015 :  6:13:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hello all, reidmantra here. I read a recent post where Yogani advised about how to repeat the mantra in meditation but I am still confused about something he wrote. First off, I know that meditation is supposed to be super simple, almost effortless and that we should not try to complicate it with analysis of the simple procedure, but at this stage in my journey to enlightenment I can not get beyond it. I know this and the other AYP support forums encourage questions. I also believe that the only stupid question is the one that never gets asked. So with that in mind, here goes:

1. Yogani says that we begin the mantra at the beginning of meditation by repeating it back to back and then "let it go how it will". The phrase let it go how it will to me, sounds like he is advising us to repeat the mantra once or twice and then drop any rigid fixed structure of repetition and simply (listen) to the mantra and when we discover that the mantra has disappeared and we do not hear it anymore then we innocently re-introduce it once or twice and repeat the listening process over again. Is this how DM is done?

I am sorry if I have asked the above question before in a slightly differ-ent way. The practice and the understanding of how to practice DM for some weird reason does not come easily for me. I have Yogani's book on it which helps some, but still find my self confused. These forums and all of you answer peoples questions are a God-sent to me. Any help I receive from any of you would be deeply appreciated. Thank you in advance!!! Namaste!!!

Reidmantra

jusmail

India
491 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2015 :  9:00:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
1. Begin the meditation with about a minute of silence.
2. Gently repeat I am as often as you can.
3. A stray thought may arise, say the dinner you are planning for friends, what ingredients you need to buy. That may remind you to fill gas on the way or to pay a bill.
4. Suddenly you remember you are doing meditation. So back to I am it is for a few more cycles when ego reminds you perhaps plan for the upcoming holiday. It reminds you to check the hotel website and the car rental options for sightseeing. This may trigger something else until suddenly you recall you are sitting in meditation and you have to repeat I am.
5. Back to step 4. Some other thoughts might arise.
6. Before long the meditation timer goes off signifying the end of 20 minutes.
7. As meditation deepens, you might experience a feeling of deep silence where you have a feeling of no thought and no repetition of I am. Yet when you remember you are not repeating I am, you try to favor the mantra by repeating it.

So keep at the practice. Hope this helps.
Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2015 :  9:26:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
This should help resolve the issue for you:
http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....15385#130881

Other than Yogani's clarification above, one thing to really take to heart is the power of language here. The words we use in instructions have great power to lead us in the most beneficial direction.

If you take a little time outside of your meditation session to get in touch with the meaning of "easily favor", then the technique becomes remarkably clear. Deep down, you know what "easily" means, and you know what "favor" means. Both are filled with pleasure. We are taking the path of least resistance here. We are surrendering to pure bliss. That is all it is. That is how the mantra is repeated and refined into stillness. It is a merging.

If it is difficult to repeat the mantra at any stage, then we don't do it. It's really that simple. It is more of a feeling than a strategy or plan. Repeating the mantra is like being massaged by waves in the nervous system. It's relying on our natural impulse for pleasure and reward. It is not self-punishment; it is self-liberation. It's not like trying to study hard for a math test which has all kinds of rules; instead, it's like singing a song to bring you joy, and singing the song in as many ways as you want.

What you need to come to terms with is that the technique is a bliss trip. It's not some harsh discipline where we're whipping ourselves or trying to prove our worth by exerting extraneous amount of effort. Instead, it's like watering a plant, like tying our shoes, like taking a relaxing shower, like humming a very loose melody with plenty of room for improvisation.

You got it. You know the technique, deep down. It is sublimely natural. It is familiar and native to the core of our being.

I admire you for your persistence and inquiry. I agree 100% that all questions are worthwhile.

Ease. Comfort. Fluidity.
Go to Top of Page

sunyata

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2015 :  10:23:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Great advice by jusmail and Bodhi.

Bodhi- If I were you,I would start copyrighting your posts

Easily favor the mantra- Fluid, Relaxed but alert are the words that helped me understand the term "easily favor the mantra".

Edited by - sunyata on Jul 10 2015 10:23:52 AM
Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2015 :  2:41:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by sunyata

LOL. Well, I gotta roll with the open-source style. Ain't no need to copyright material that's given freely.
Go to Top of Page

sunyata

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2015 :  4:50:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
True dat...Stillness in action my friend.
Go to Top of Page

reidmantra

United Arab Emirates
57 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2015 :  1:05:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi everyone, reidmantra here. I wanted to thank jusmail, bodhi-tree, and sunyata for your insights and I also want to say that I read the post that yogani wrote about not enforcing any rigid structure or back to back repetition. I have practiced DM for the past couple of days and have come to the conclusion that when I repeat the mantra once and then let it go and simply listen to it and then when it fades away easily come back to it and let it go and listen to it over and over for 20 minutes, I feel peace inside and meditation seems to flow easily. In activity afterward I feel increased energy and happiness. I believe that the technique of DM that I practice is what yogani is teaching and when I do it as I described above, meditation is quite enjoyable. If anyone has any concerns about the way I practice Yogani's deep meditation, please let me know, otherwise as I believe Christi said in another post: (Beyond right and wrong there is a field, I'll meet you there). I love this forum. I love DM, I love the wisdom and instruction I get from all of you here. Until my next question, peace and blessings to all of you!!! :))) Namaste
Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2015 :  11:33:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yay!
Go to Top of Page

heartandsoul80

USA
11 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2015 :  5:12:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Exellent posts! This topic deserves to be stickied!
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4429 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2015 :  07:27:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi everyone,

Great thread.

quote:
Sunyata wrote:

All the posts that people contribute are already copyrighted. See the bottom of every page where it says: "© Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors)".

quote:
reidmantra wrote:
I believe Christi said in another post: (Beyond right and wrong there is a field, I'll meet you there)

Actually that was a quote from a poem by Rumi. This is the full poem:

"Beyond our ideas of right-doing and wrong-doing,
there is a field. I’ll meet you there.
When the soul lies down in that grass,
the world is too full to talk about.
Ideas, language, even the phrase ‘each other’
doesn’t make sense any more."

Christi
Go to Top of Page

sunyata

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2015 :  08:26:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Christi,

I was joking. But that's a good reminder for everyone.

Edited by - sunyata on Oct 22 2015 08:27:00 AM
Go to Top of Page

alecpeace

USA
95 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2015 :  12:08:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by reidmantra

Hi everyone, reidmantra here. I wanted to thank jusmail, bodhi-tree, and sunyata for your insights and I also want to say that I read the post that yogani wrote about not enforcing any rigid structure or back to back repetition. I have practiced DM for the past couple of days and have come to the conclusion that when I repeat the mantra once and then let it go and simply listen to it and then when it fades away easily come back to it and let it go and listen to it over and over for 20 minutes, I feel peace inside and meditation seems to flow easily. In activity afterward I feel increased energy and happiness. I believe that the technique of DM that I practice is what yogani is teaching and when I do it as I described above, meditation is quite enjoyable. If anyone has any concerns about the way I practice Yogani's deep meditation, please let me know, otherwise as I believe Christi said in another post: (Beyond right and wrong there is a field, I'll meet you there). I love this forum. I love DM, I love the wisdom and instruction I get from all of you here. Until my next question, peace and blessings to all of you!!! :))) Namaste

You know you've done it right when after your session is over and its time for you to open your eyes, you feel like you're "coming back to this world"
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000