Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Not sure what to do
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

orthodon

USA
4 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2015 :  12:33:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hello , I am a newcomer to AYP . I have been a member of SRF for a bit over 10 years .I meditated once a day for the first 4 years or so. I have been meditating once or twice a day for anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour per session for the last 6 years.
SRF discourages talking about meditation experiences between devotees and that is what brought me here . My question is : I have yet to have any significant experiences with my meditations ( eg. bliss, seeing or hearing " spiritual " sights or sounds). Is this rare , or is it likely that my spiritual development is not ready for these experiences? TO be honest I have used tobacco once or twice a day the entire time but was hoping that meditation would result in the habit dropping away on its own .So far it has not . On the other hand , I would say my life in general has improved over the last 10 years in terms of relationships with my family and financial matters. I understand that these spiritual sights and sounds are not the goal of meditation but I assumed they were a marker of progress in meditation.
Thank you in advance for your replies.

BillinL.A.

USA
375 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2015 :  1:02:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi orthodan, great to have you here at the forum.

Many people have found a lot of guidance from AYP and Yogani who started out at SRF. I'm one for sure too.

Like you say sights and sounds aren't the goal and AYP says the same calling them "scenery". Better to ignore scenery and continue to favor the practice. Mantra meditation practice (or SRF Hong-Sau) is called Deep Meditation here. And Kriya Yoga is called Spinal Breathing here.

You'll find lots of people to talk with you about meditation experiences at this forum. Plus just reading old threads and new posts is awesome.

I highly recommend that you read Yogani's lessons. I know you've read tons of SRF Lessons but I promise that its worth the effort. Plus they're free! And you have access to all of them right on the left side of this page under "Key Lessons" where it says "Start Lessons Here".

Yogani's summary of Yoga complements Yogananda's. Its made all the difference in my life. I've been able to accept who and what I am sexually way better than before and identify a critical posture issue that I just danced around until I was exposed to Yogani's ideas for a while.

So check out the Lessons and see what others may have to offer for advice too.

Take care orthodan.
Go to Top of Page

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2015 :  1:02:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome orthodon.

We call experiences 'scenery' at AYP. You may or may not have the colourful, uplifting, euphoric type, but I can guarantee you are experiencing the scenery of every day existence even when you do not realise it. Some have mind boggling experiences, the rest of us do without them.

As to progress, well that comes when it comes and it won't be how you expected it anyway.

We would discourage hour long meditation sessions and encourage careful self pacing and grounding alongside moderated 20 minute, twice daily sessions of meditation using the mantra.

Less is actually more.
Go to Top of Page

So-Hi

USA
481 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2015 :  1:32:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello also former SRF affiliated, Kind of surprised by Billinla comment concerning Haung-Sau technique of concentration as it is in no way shape or form similar to deep meditation.

Inhaling Haung and exhaling Sau is not the same as deep meditation as no mantra or bodily sound is used in conjunction with timing of breathing in or out.

Sorry Billinla but this needed corrected. If anything the OM technique of meditation is more like DM, but even that is different and in my experience no where near as effective as Deep Meditation of AYP. Not trying to be a jerk just trying to keep people from getting confused.

SRF works for many people, it was not for me. Learned and practiced from different schools of Kriya for years and was happier with these practices by comparrison to SRF but AYP has been the best of all for me.

Maybe it will be for you also orthodon? if not you can always return to SRF Practices.

Go to Top of Page

BillinL.A.

USA
375 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2015 :  1:50:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
No prob So-Hi.
Go to Top of Page

So-Hi

USA
481 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2015 :  2:19:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by BillinL.A.

No prob So-Hi.

Thanks for the understanding.
Go to Top of Page

So-Hi

USA
481 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2015 :  2:43:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Orthodon just remembered something, as BillinLA pointed out Kriya pranayama of SRF is pretty close to Spinal Breathing here, but the part remembered is back when I used to smoke and was SRF affiliated, it was a terrible combination because what would happen is the body would become extremely hot and sweat would pour off of it in buckets.

Spinal breathing whatever the name is a purifying process. So with this body it was a very, very bad combination sometimes the body would get so hot it was having a fever and afterwards was no fun either because the heat would persist.

Karl has also pointed out something that is important aside from what was just shared above there was never any experiences or scenery during my smoking years with SRF practices.

After my SRF years were concluded ZAZEN was taken up and contacting the still point daily led to active Kundalini awakening in a rather painful way, this led back to a more structured practice of Kriya from Shibendu Lahiri and also Hariharananda.

These paths were practiced separately in the following years.

From these paths after the still point awakening of Kundalini experiences started coming as more and more of the inner matrix of obstructions became unwound, but it is now known in retrospect both of these practices had this neurobiology in a constant state of overload as it is described here in AYP.

Yes the neurobiology did grow from this but it was not as smooth as it could have been nor as easy. It was more like adapt or burn out.

After receiving the higher Kriyas it was found to still just to be not it.

Having been aware of AYP since oh 2005 or so the book the Secrets of Wilder was known but avoided AYP was not practiced for a long time because it just did not gel with me, too much Kriya conditioning the practices theory and results however were all understood in light of Kriya. Many of AYP practices are similar to Kriya things Like Kechari Mudra are not openly taught with SRF but are in the System Shibendu teaches and here as well.

( Shibendu is the Great Grandson of Lahiri Mahasaya and yes what he teaches is different than SRF.)

Anyway after reading the book the secrets of Wilder something broke in my heart and all of a sudden I saw AYP in the light of AYP not in comparison to any other system and understood in a heartfelt feeling way the true spirit of AYP, everything has been so much more wonderful since abandoning the past systems and embracing Yogini’s gift to the world.

to you Yogani

Orthododn you are not alone, not by a long shot, recommend reading the Secrets of Wilder and giving AYP a try.
Go to Top of Page

Before

Hong Kong
11 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2015 :  05:54:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I think to examine whether we have good meditation, the point is whether we live a better life. More love, more patience, more listening. If there isn't, then we might have to see whether we are doing it correctly, or time to look for other approach.
Go to Top of Page

Radharani

USA
843 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2015 :  02:43:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit Radharani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome, orthodon!

quote:
Originally posted by Before

I think to examine whether we have good meditation, the point is whether we live a better life. More love, more patience, more listening. If there isn't, then we might have to see whether we are doing it correctly, or time to look for other approach.

Exactly. Love, patience and other spiritual virtues arising from inner silence and its effect on our life. Then ecstatic conductivity resulting in outpouring of Divine Love, and again how that manifests in our daily life and interactions with others, if there is such a thing as "other," LOL!

I was with SRF for around 30 years and I don't think they would disagree with that basic premise. The techniques and "rules" differ slightly but the goal is the same.

I wouldn't worry about "experiences" or lack thereof in meditation.
Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2242 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2015 :  07:19:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
I have used tobacco once or twice a day the entire time but was hoping that meditation would result in the habit dropping away on its own .So far it has not .

If this is true (once or twice a day) you are so close to not smoking at all. Ten years of meditation should have given you some exposure to "the witness state"; would be worthwhile to witness the true nature behind this continued desire to smoke, to dissect this craving, and perhaps dissolve it once and for all. There are no guarantees this will open you to spiritual experiences, but as you are well aware, it is the right thing to do for your spiritual vessal.

Oh yes, welcome to the forum, Orthodon!
Go to Top of Page

orthodon

USA
4 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2015 :  08:49:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you all for your thoughtful responses . I would like to update you on my decision. I decided to embrace the AYP techniques as they are very close in kind to SRF techniques . I especially am intrigued by the DM technique, It seems to work better for me than Hong Sau or OM ( SRF techniques) . Despite virtually no Spiritual" scenery" I still feel incredibly fortunate to want to pursue a spiritual path and I am also very thankful for spiritual communities such as this one that provides ongoing support and motivation.
Thanks again.
Go to Top of Page

So-Hi

USA
481 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2015 :  09:12:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
I especially am intrigued by the DM technique, It seems to work better for me than Hong Sau or OM ( SRF techniques)

Agreed. Deep Meditation is much more powerful than it's simplicity on the surface would imply only by doing is it known and it is always fresh and always new.

Just make sure to rest afterwards.
Go to Top of Page

BillinL.A.

USA
375 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2015 :  5:26:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Cool Orthodon!

Best of luck with the DM Technique. Sometimes its the love affair I've always wanted.

Edited by - BillinL.A. on Aug 05 2015 5:27:08 PM
Go to Top of Page

sunyata

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2015 :  5:37:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Sometimes its the love affair I've always wanted.

Edited by - sunyata on Aug 05 2015 5:38:36 PM
Go to Top of Page

So-Hi

USA
481 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2015 :  5:51:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

Cool Orthodon!

Best of luck with the DM Technique. Sometimes its the love affair I've always wanted.

Go to Top of Page

Charliedog

1625 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2015 :  02:36:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit Charliedog's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

quote:

@ BillinL.A.

@ Orthodon,
Welcome to this sharing AYP Forums.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.07 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000