Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 4 AM Meditation?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

technoyogi

Canada
158 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2015 :  9:55:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit technoyogi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I am considering waking for 30 minutes to do meditation at 4 or 5 am and wondered if Yogani had any specific advice about what to do if someone tries this, or if it was discouraged for any reason, etc.

It is said that the "veil" is thinnest at this time so it is an ideal time to meditate. It is also a good way to help induce OBEs (i.e. waking up and going back to sleep). I have reached my deepest levels of consciousness so far during meditation in OBEs, so I was thinking maybe I can get two for the price of one this way

AYPforum

351 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2015 :  11:24:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Moderator note: Topic moved for better placement
Go to Top of Page

jusmail

India
491 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2015 :  11:53:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Any time is good before meals.
Go to Top of Page

technoyogi

Canada
158 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2015 :  01:43:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit technoyogi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Jusmail. I did recently change my dinner time to accommodate meditation but it does in general mean that I am eating later at night. I guess this would still have to count as a morning meditation, but then I could do a mid-day meditation and eat at a more normal time, I may try this. Famous last words though, getting up at 4 am haha
Go to Top of Page

Ecdyonurus

Switzerland
479 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2015 :  06:39:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Technoyogi, IMO it is better to engage in daily activity right after yoga practices.

Also, having tried to practice at different times, I found that the best way is to do a session every 12 hours (I do mines about at 6am and 6pm).

Go to Top of Page

technoyogi

Canada
158 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2015 :  12:31:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit technoyogi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Ecdyonurus, that makes sense and I do recall in the writings somewhere that Yogani says what you mentioned about integration into daily activities.

I suppose I could shift my sleep schedule to wake at 6 am and try that in order to not eat so late. I admit to never having been much of an early riser, so even this 4 am - go back to sleep thing would probably be overly ambitious to try every day anyway. I woke naturally at 4:45 this morning and tried to meditate in bed but fell back asleep immediately.

For now it seems an 8 am 8pm schedule is probably what I will do most often even if I do try the 4 am thing here and there. Maybe over time the meditation will let me require less sleep and i will shift to 7 am, then 6 etc.
Go to Top of Page

Prem

Canada
90 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2015 :  3:10:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit Prem's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I was never blessed to be able to rise early, heaven knows I tried - so I stopped fighting it and meditate At 10 am and 4 pm. For me this is before meals and gives me plenty of time to integrate into daily activities. We are all wired differently. Perhaps in time and with purification I may become an early riser but I don't think it's mandatory to get good results. If we make our routine too difficult we will have trouble sticking with it. Better to meditate twice daily at an easy time than to make it difficult and get discouraged.
Go to Top of Page

pkj

USA
158 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2015 :  1:54:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Technoyogi

For me it is better when it is dark. Usually I start at 5:00AM and works best for me as it is still dark. Agree with you 4:00-6:00Am is the best time to meditate.

PKJ
Go to Top of Page

Will Power

Spain
415 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2015 :  2:12:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with you 4:00-6:00Am is the best time to meditate.For me the best is a nap after that, then breskfast then daily activities
Go to Top of Page

technoyogi

Canada
158 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2015 :  2:15:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit technoyogi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks everyone for the input. Still have not managed to get up at that time, I use a vibrating alarm so as not to wake my wife, but it is seldom insistent enough to wake me fully to where I get up myself! I will figure out something though...
Go to Top of Page

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1731 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2015 :  3:15:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
If you find it difficult to wake up, perhaps you should heed the need for sleep. Yogani emphasises the importance of a balanced daily routine, with enough rest. You may find that going back to sleep after meditation doesn't work so well.

If you practice daily as instructed in the lessons, you will not be short of experiences, though perhaps you will become less attached to them
Go to Top of Page

Ecdyonurus

Switzerland
479 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2015 :  3:38:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Technoyogi, the most important thing is IMO to find a time slot that you can sustain without strain.

Doing yoga at 4am may be great, but wuld you force yourself if your body don't accept it?! It is much easier to do practices at a more comfortable time - and let yoga find its own natural time slot in your schedule.

In my case, I used to do my morning practice at 6.30am and found it difficult in the beginning. Now I begin at about 6am and it feels good. It has been a spontaneous fine tuning process, setting the alarm 5 minutes earlier every 3-4 months. Also, there has been a change in the evening time too: I used to go to bed about at midnight, now I usually do 1 hour earlier.

By the way, I also use a vibrating alarm (a Sleeptracker watch that really helped enhance the way I manage my sleeping and waking time).
Go to Top of Page

technoyogi

Canada
158 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2015 :  6:43:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit technoyogi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
So many perspectives, thanks everyone for sharing. Seems like everyone has a little bit different perspective on what works for them, which makes sense when you think about it.

FWIW, I get up fine if I have a normal alarm, my point was that with a mild vibration on my wrist I got used to it very quickly. It woke me the first few times. But it also only snoozes once. I think I would have the same issues with it as a morning alarm.

I will check into the Sleepwatch Ecdyonurus, thanks! Or maybe even an Iwatch if they have good vibration settings, may have to go into an apple store even though it is pretty expensive...
Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2242 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2015 :  7:31:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
My youngest is my alarm clock
Go to Top of Page

technoyogi

Canada
158 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2015 :  9:44:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit technoyogi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Haha that is awesome Dogboy, sounds MUCH more effective than my pidly Fitbit charge watch vibrations haha
Go to Top of Page

Will Power

Spain
415 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2015 :  3:02:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
http://www.stevepavlina.com/blog/20...rm-goes-off/
Go to Top of Page

technoyogi

Canada
158 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2015 :  3:19:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit technoyogi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
That is pretty brilliant Will Power, like pavlovian conditioning for waking up, thanks for sharing that. I could indeed try that with the vibration of my watch. The problem was that it is so subtle really, but maybe adding the conditioning part to it would make it work.
Go to Top of Page

Will Power

Spain
415 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2015 :  1:36:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks technoyogi. I use two alarms. The first one is very soft and very near so that I wake up very softly, and then I do baby pose. 3 minutes later anotuer alarm goes off, this time farther away so that I am forced to get out of bed to set it off . It's better to avoid temptations
Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2242 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2015 :  2:45:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Brilliant tactic
Go to Top of Page

Will Power

Spain
415 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2015 :  5:33:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

Edited by - Will Power on Mar 21 2015 04:00:17 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000