Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 DM and Exercise?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

kensbikes100

USA
192 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2015 :  10:07:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
New year's resolution time! I'm starting a daily exercise program now. Should one do DM before exercising or after? How much time should elapse between working out and DM, ideally?

It seems self-evident that I shouldn't do DM until my HR has come back down to near-normal. But with strenuous workouts with a lot of heart rate elevation, HR recovery may not be complete for a day or even more, if one is overtrained and has an elevated resting heart rate.

I'm restarting my cycling, hoping to do a 200 km ride in May. It will be the longest 1-day distance ride I've ever planned for. Not a particularly fast ride, but long. My goal will be to complete it before the time limit and with decent comfort. If I can maintain 13 mph average it will take about 9,6 hours.

I've found my Iyengar practice helps a lot with strength, balance, and form. I'm not too worried about meditating on the ride - the training period will tell me if I can or should meditate while out on the ride. For now I'd like to hear how other AYPers who ride, run, or do other endurance sports have found it best to combine endurance training and DM.

The guru is within each of us, so let's let our gurus speak to each other!

-- Ken

Ecdyonurus

Switzerland
479 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2015 :  04:06:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Ken, I don't do any endurance sport on a regular basis, but I would say that DM requires a calm body/heart/mind. In my case, the heart rate and the mind activity are good indicators: when they are "high", I just wait some more minutes before engaging in yoga/DM. For example, when walking home after a stressfull day which could potentially habe an impact on meditation, I do some relaxation during the walk in order to come home ready for my evening AYP session. Other times it might be an asana session that caused my heart rate to go up (usually backbends), so I just lie a bit longer in savasana before starting DM; there is a right moment when I have to come out of savasana to enter DM, and I may reach it after 1 minute or 10 minutes.
Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2242 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2015 :  06:46:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
I'm not too worried about meditating on the ride - the training period will tell me if I can or should meditate while out on the ride.

Certainly you are not in deep meditation while cycling?!
Go to Top of Page

kensbikes100

USA
192 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2015 :  06:48:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks! I think you've hit the key point, the activity of the mind and the heart rate. Usually DMreduces both levels, but sometimes the needed reduction is large. Plus there's a need for some recovery food and drink, such as a Clif bar or chocolate milk. I don't like to do DM within 45 minutes of eating.

As long as you mentioned DM and savasana, can DM be substituted for savasana?
Go to Top of Page

kensbikes100

USA
192 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2015 :  06:54:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Posted - Jan 02 2015 : 06:46:29 AM
quote:
I'm not too worried about meditating on the ride - the training period will tell me if I can or should meditate while out on the ride.

Certainly you are not in deep meditation while cycling?!

No, certainly not. I mean during breaks after starting the ride. But I do use the postures of tadasana to relax my back and align my head and shoulders while riding.
Go to Top of Page

Ecdyonurus

Switzerland
479 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2015 :  08:05:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Ken, IMO savasana and DM are two very different things, although - like many yoga practices - they partially overlap (both practices have a relaxing effect, for example). I was only suggesting to do savasana before DM because savasa can relax you and therefore prepare you for a smooth transition into DM.
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5201 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2015 :  09:59:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi All:

Here is a lesson that might be helpful: http://www.aypsite.org/147.html

All the best!

The guru is in you.

Go to Top of Page

adishivayogi

USA
197 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2015 :  5:33:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
i think you should do yoga first. if you do it afterwards it will be harder. just like it is after eating, or working hard all day. energy wants to go into body to recuperate
Go to Top of Page

kensbikes100

USA
192 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2015 :  10:45:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yogani, thanks for that! It's what I was thinking of.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000