Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Am I overdoing it?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

TRVeda

India
4 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2014 :  01:28:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I've been practising the SN Goenka Vipassana for a few years. I made it part of my daily routine about six months ago.
However, more recently I found that I'd like to try out other meditation techniques as well. Last week I was directed to the AYP site by a friend.

I've spent a couple of days doing the DM - 20 minutes in the morning, and 20 minutes in the evening. I sit in either padmasana or sukhasana.

Here is what I have observed: Thoughts arise and pass and sometimes I get distracted by them and follow them. However, the moment I pay attention to the I-AM mantra, I feel a flow of energy that starts from the top of my head and moves to the bottom of my core. This energy feels like a cross between pins and needles, a crawling sensation and a flow of particles. Between each mantra recitation, my heart chakra feels warm and raw.
After the meditation, I feel more composed, concentrated and have the ability to be more present in the moment. This lasts till the end of the day. No real 'negative' side effects to speak of. But then, it has been only 2 days since I started.

I wasn't expecting to have such a strong response so fast to the meditation.
Should I change what I'm doing? Reduce the amount of time I am with the mantra?
Or add a pranayam to it? Or should I not worry and keep going with the I-AM mantra for the next few months before adding/changing anything?

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1553 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2014 :  01:35:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Dear TRVeda,

You are doing just fine. No need for worry.

Sey

Go to Top of Page

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1731 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2014 :  05:19:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello TRVeda

Sounds like you're making good progress with the AYP meditation.

When you say "try out other meditation techniques as well" do you mean you are still doing your SN Goenka Vipassana?

Doing both types of meditations would very likely be too much.
I wouldn't add pranayama so soon. Best to carry on with the I AM meditation for a few months, and then try adding something new if you feel so inclined.

Enjoy your practice!
Go to Top of Page

TRVeda

India
4 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2014 :  07:53:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Sey and thanks BlueRaincoat.

Sometimes that kind of watchful awareness that vipassana encourages happens as part of regular life while I'm doing other things, like driving or while taking a walk. But I don't sit down for dedicated practise of vipassana.
I'm only practising the I AM meditation now. I intend to keep this up for a few months more and follow the next step that Yogani has laid out in the lesson plan.
Go to Top of Page

colours

Sweden
108 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2015 :  7:25:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
TRVeda:
If I feel I am doing too much, I Do DM for shorter period of time. But since you are not having negative effects, maybe it is fine for you with 20 minutes! :)

Edited by - colours on Jan 02 2015 7:45:49 PM
Go to Top of Page

TRVeda

India
4 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2015 :  11:33:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Colours, I think you may be right!

Today was the 7th day of practise and I experienced a continuous burning sensation around heart and solar plexus. My head has been buzzing and I found myself getting irrationally angry/irritated.
I'm not doing the evening sitting today and will reduce the amount of time to 5 minutes per session starting tomorrow for a few days.
Go to Top of Page

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1731 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2015 :  11:50:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi TRVeda

You are right to cut back. Mantra meditation is very powerful. You may find that after cooling off for a few days/weeks you will be able to increase the time to 10 minutes per session (don't go back straight to 20 mins)

If 10 minutes of I AM meditation turns out to be too much, you may want to look into a lighter form of meditation. You will find it in Lesson 367, towards the end - "Replacing the Mantra with Breath as the Object of Meditation"

Best wishes
Go to Top of Page

TRVeda

India
4 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2015 :  01:57:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi BlueRaincoat
Thanks for the advice. I've been working with 5 minutes each sitting for a few days and that constant burning sensation inside has subsided. From tomorrow I'll start increasing this duration slowly, working up to 10 minutes.
Go to Top of Page

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1731 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2015 :  05:52:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Sounds good.
When you get to 10 minues, stay there a while to see what the cumulative effect will be.
Safe practice and steady progress.
Go to Top of Page

colours

Sweden
108 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2015 :  06:32:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
TRVeda:
Good luck with the practises!
Go to Top of Page

Prem

Canada
90 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2015 :  3:18:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit Prem's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Sounds like you are doing very well. Be sure to rest in savasana for ten minutes after DM. This will help to prevent overload and feelings of irritation etc. Yogani talks a lot about self pacing. This is no sprint. It's a marathon. Enjoy the journey. No need to hurry. When I get those feelings I will immediately lie down and rest. You might also try solar centering. Look for it in left hand column. Good luck.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000