Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 I can't get it
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

timothyschilling

France
8 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2013 :  06:50:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi. I've been practicing meditation for about 3 weeks using the deep meditation method but I'm not getting anything. OK. I think my general life experience is better, maybe more positive, more tranquil, etc.. but the actual meditation practices seem to be increasingly monotonous. My mind seems to always flip back to some silly thing I have to do, a work problem, etc.. I keep going back to the mantra but this just keeps going on and on. I sometimes wonder if my mind is just not cut out for this. I read where some people are talking about bliss after just a few sessions. My mind seems to be 'avoiding' anything deep and always insisting to throw up some work problem or issue.

I've had a daily practice with asansas, non-guerrilla style, for about 2 years. Did other people's pranayama and mediation exercises without much happening. Very glad to find your site and writings. I live in a remote place and have never had a 'lesson' per se but have watched a few videos earlier on.

Any insight on what might be happening in my mind when I try meditating will be very welcome. I'll keep doing my 2 sessions a day.

Thanks. Tim

woosa

United Kingdom
382 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2013 :  07:05:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Tim

You will get phases where meditation can be very boring. But purification is still happening even when you don't think so. In a few weeks you may have overcome this slump and will progress into something else. Bliss will come, but you can't make it - it'll just happen.

Thoughts coming up all of the time while meditating is a good thing - it shows that you have your work cut out! Easily favour the mantra when this happens - you are not forcing your mind to go to silence with it.

Is your asana practise very slow and relaxing? If it's tiring and fast then it might be worth changing it. You don't want to be going into meditation sweating and panting.
Go to Top of Page

Mykal K

Germany
267 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2013 :  07:31:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mykal K's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Timothy,
meditation is a very personal journey. Best to view it in a way that you will experience what you need to experience in the time that you need to. If you feel good things happening in your life, then meditation is good for you. There are lessons to be learned in every stage of meditation practice, and they are very valuable IMO.

Best of luck.
Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2013 :  07:54:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Greetings T-Chill,

The barometer of meditation's success is always revealed in the improvement of quality of life during daily activity--which may or may not have corresponding "bliss" during actual meditation sessions. Quite often, I've had meditations with lots of thought-streams, but when I've come out of meditation and rested, my mind is ready to engage in life in a much more peaceful and relaxed way.

If you think of it like housecleaning, then you can be thankful that whatever arises is being surfaced by the grace of stillness, and that by allowing and easily favoring the mantra, you are going through exactly what you need to go through at any given time.

The more we let go of expectations, the more we can actually enjoy the process, even if that means sitting with a barrage of seemingly mundane thoughts. From the perspective of stillness, all this scenery plays an equal and necessary part of our unfoldment, so we don't have to struggle with the prioritization of the flavors of phenomena. This has been a great learning experience for me, since I have a tendency to crave mystical panoramas.

Sounds like you are off to a great start. This is a long journey, so relax into the ride, and the bliss will come. Actually, it's already here. We're just becoming more aware of it.
Go to Top of Page

timothyschilling

France
8 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2013 :  09:24:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks. I really appreciate your thoughts. Sometimes I think I'm too stressed about work and my mind tries to 'deal' with it, like find solutions to problems, while I'm meditating. It upsets me since I don't have a lot of time during the day and if I devote 30mn to meditation, then I should be meditating and not thinking about work problems. I will continue as you suggest and expect less. It's true that I'm also secretly waiting for the the white bliss to decend on me. Thanks. Tim
quote:
Originally posted by woosa

Hi Tim

You will get phases where meditation can be very boring. But purification is still happening even when you don't think so. In a few weeks you may have overcome this slump and will progress into something else. Bliss will come, but you can't make it - it'll just happen.

Thoughts coming up all of the time while meditating is a good thing - it shows that you have your work cut out! Easily favour the mantra when this happens - you are not forcing your mind to go to silence with it.

Is your asana practise very slow and relaxing? If it's tiring and fast then it might be worth changing it. You don't want to be going into meditation sweating and panting.

Go to Top of Page

timothyschilling

France
8 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2013 :  09:31:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks. I see what you are saying. I appreciate your thought on letting go of expectations. I think that's a big part of my problem. I'm thinking too much about the process and expecting something to happen any minute. I'm very impatient. I also wonder about ego. Could it be that my ego is too messed up? Yesterday I noticed a down feeling that I haven't had for a while. As I dealt with it I realized I was letting my ego take over and then expecting, judging and living for it. It's silly. Thanks. I appreciate your confidence.
quote:
Originally posted by Bodhi Tree

Greetings T-Chill,

The barometer of meditation's success is always revealed in the improvement of quality of life during daily activity--which may or may not have corresponding "bliss" during actual meditation sessions. Quite often, I've had meditations with lots of thought-streams, but when I've come out of meditation and rested, my mind is ready to engage in life in a much more peaceful and relaxed way.

If you think of it like housecleaning, then you can be thankful that whatever arises is being surfaced by the grace of stillness, and that by allowing and easily favoring the mantra, you are going through exactly what you need to go through at any given time.

The more we let go of expectations, the more we can actually enjoy the process, even if that means sitting with a barrage of seemingly mundane thoughts. From the perspective of stillness, all this scenery plays an equal and necessary part of our unfoldment, so we don't have to struggle with the prioritization of the flavors of phenomena. This has been a great learning experience for me, since I have a tendency to crave mystical panoramas.

Sounds like you are off to a great start. This is a long journey, so relax into the ride, and the bliss will come. Actually, it's already here. We're just becoming more aware of it.

Go to Top of Page

jonesboy

USA
594 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2013 :  1:20:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit jonesboy's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi T-Chill :)

I have been practing for about 4 months and I have not had a bliss experience but that is ok.

You mentioned how your thoughts just keep wondering off and how it is making you question what you are doing. Think of it this way. Your brain, your thoughts are wild and untrained. They are use to going after one thought, one desire after another. That is where the mantra will help you.

One way to look at the thoughts is that you are doing a lot of cleaning. As things get tidier the thoughts won't wash over the mantra. I know sometimes in the morning it use to be tough to even say the mantra. Now it is much easier but it takes practice. Most people don't learn to skate board and then compete in the X Games on day one of learning to skate. Nor should we expect enlightenment, bliss, visions or visitations when just starting our journey either.

Good luck.
Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2013 :  10:04:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by timothyschilling

I also wonder about ego. Could it be that my ego is too messed up?

LOL! My favorite topic. To paraphrase Yogani: the ego is the vehicle for enlightenment. Same could be said about the body/mind. Ego is identification with body/mind. Sense of self begins to change with deeper levers of stillness...stretching beyond body/mind and space/time.

In my experience, the only choice has been to befriend the ego--rather than make it an enemy. Everytime I try to fight the ego/mind, the ego/mind just fights back.

After all, aren't the layers of self (including the ego) just expressions of the One? Therefore, even in my most "messed up" and depraved conditions, have I ever fully been disconnected or separate from Self? Maybe it feels like that at the time (isolation, misery, chaos), but these sensations are just lower evolutionary stages that fade once we succumb and surrender to the spiritual gravity of the inward pull. Therefore, if they arise, I recognize the flow and ultimate destiny of both personal and global enlightenment. The destination is more undeniable and truthful than minor ego struggles or pitfalls along the way.

You ask great questions, and I relate to them all. Continue to trust your intuition, and I'll trust mine too. Together, our intuitions meet in a quiet place of knowingness. Keep your eyes on the prize!
Go to Top of Page

mr_anderson

USA
734 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2013 :  10:43:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit mr_anderson's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
My meditation sessions are almost always boring. At best, the time passes and doesn't feel like it took all that long. I find it hard to sit still for the entire time. I'm not prone to visions, mystical experiences during meditation, in fact if I just judged meditation based upon what happens while I'm sitting on the meditation seat, I'd say it was a complete waste of time.

All these fancy stories from people who see dead gurus, and feel blessed, and see a light in their third eye, and have wonderful experiences and so on mean absolutely nothing to me. I'm sure it's very nice for them though

But it's all about what happens when you're off the cushion, if you have all sorts of amazing experiences but your daily life isn't changing, then meditation wouldn't be all that valuable. It's about the gradual, subtle changes. A heart that gradually opens and you find yourself more loving. Anxieties slipping away in daily life, so you're free from all worries about present and future, so over just a few years you find you're so confident, fearless and strong no matter what situation you face. A rising joy that occurs for no reason: simply from walking in the rain, or watching sunlight on a windowsill.

And gradually: recognizing you were never who you thought you were, as identification with your body-mind slips away, so do all the problems and concerns and constraints you ever imagined were yours. Freedom.

It took me twice daily DM and pranayama (after I'd stuck with the initial first month of just DM) for about 6 months before I became conscious of a subtle bliss (but I'd probably been following meditative practices for about 3-4 years before trying AYP, although I can't honestly say I practiced twice daily, every day, without fail - as I did with AYP pretty much. before I was inconsistent with my routine, and inconsistency gains little or nothing.). Everything has gradually changed, only because I was consistent.

I can only say, be patient my friend! The results come eventually, but nothing special is supposed to happen during meditation sessions, although it's nice if it does!

Love,

J

Edited by - mr_anderson on Jun 11 2013 10:46:13 PM
Go to Top of Page

jonesboy

USA
594 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2013 :  10:21:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit jonesboy's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by mr_anderson

My meditation sessions are almost always boring. At best, the time passes and doesn't feel like it took all that long. I find it hard to sit still for the entire time. I'm not prone to visions, mystical experiences during meditation, in fact if I just judged meditation based upon what happens while I'm sitting on the meditation seat, I'd say it was a complete waste of time.

All these fancy stories from people who see dead gurus, and feel blessed, and see a light in their third eye, and have wonderful experiences and so on mean absolutely nothing to me. I'm sure it's very nice for them though

But it's all about what happens when you're off the cushion, if you have all sorts of amazing experiences but your daily life isn't changing, then meditation wouldn't be all that valuable. It's about the gradual, subtle changes. A heart that gradually opens and you find yourself more loving. Anxieties slipping away in daily life, so you're free from all worries about present and future, so over just a few years you find you're so confident, fearless and strong no matter what situation you face. A rising joy that occurs for no reason: simply from walking in the rain, or watching sunlight on a windowsill.

And gradually: recognizing you were never who you thought you were, as identification with your body-mind slips away, so do all the problems and concerns and constraints you ever imagined were yours. Freedom.

It took me twice daily DM and pranayama (after I'd stuck with the initial first month of just DM) for about 6 months before I became conscious of a subtle bliss (but I'd probably been following meditative practices for about 3-4 years before trying AYP, although I can't honestly say I practiced twice daily, every day, without fail - as I did with AYP pretty much. before I was inconsistent with my routine, and inconsistency gains little or nothing.). Everything has gradually changed, only because I was consistent.

I can only say, be patient my friend! The results come eventually, but nothing special is supposed to happen during meditation sessions, although it's nice if it does!

Love,

J

That is one of the best post ever.
Go to Top of Page

timothyschilling

France
8 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2013 :  07:02:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks. That was extremely important for me to hear. I do already see/feel positive changes in me/my life that I can truly say are the result of DM. They are subtle but they are there. I do feel a stable, inner calmness incrementally growing in me. I do feel more loving. Even my dog recognizes this. One big change readily apparent is that my asana practice has become incredibly deeper, natural and more invasive.

I'm sorry to be so impatient and doubting. I thank all of you for responding. I'm really touched. Tim

quote:

Love,

J

Go to Top of Page

mikkiji

USA
219 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2013 :  5:10:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit mikkiji's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
ANYTHING may (or may not) happen during meditation--our subjective experience might be silent bliss, or a continuous jumble of to-do list, shopping list, chores, work stress, dinner planning, etc., etc... BUT, remember this--we always begin meditation by quietly and easily beginning the mantra, and then just take it as it comes. Everything else after that IS CORRECT MEDITATION and delivers positive results. When we have the thought, "Oh, I'm meditating, I'm supposed to be thinking the mantra", then we easily return to the mantra. If at that point we do not return to the mantra, then we have stopped meditating. That's it, simple and direct--begin the mantra, take it as it comes, return to the mantra when we become aware we're off it. The time we spend lost in thoughts, or with the mantra, or in silence are all equal in value and necessary for continued purification and refinement of the nervous system. Look for results in activity, not anything anticipated during the practice.
Michael
Go to Top of Page

Arman

Australia
47 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2013 :  4:28:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Beautiful post from Mr_Anderson. :)

In my very early meditating days I felt nothing. These days it changes from time to time. For some time my meditation may be very peaceful. I feel like I can sink into a peaceful place and keeping the concentration feels easy and nice. Then for a few weeks meditation may be incredibly boring and thoughts enter my mind easily. Then for a few days I might find I can hardly meditate for longer than 2 minutes without wanting to jump up and down or sing the song that is stuck in my head because of the energy bouncing around.

Right now meditation is somewhere in the middle of all those things. I think some people never experience any kind of "symptoms" or energetically occurrences during their meditation.

You may find a time where you wish that your meditation experiences were as simple/'boring' as they once were... or maybe not. I can see many benefits in both having interesting experiences and not having then. I suspect your nervous system is perfect for your journey so I wouldn't worry... although I highly doubt you're still worrying after all the amazing advice and words from the members here.
Go to Top of Page

Arjuna

USA
69 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2013 :  2:35:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Give up all expectations of any type of experience whatsoever. But then you may ask, "why bother sitting?" There is no answer that will satisfy the mind. If you need a reason, then my answer is to "just" sit.
So your daily routine becomes, now I am sitting, now I am not sitting.
Now, here's the paradox my friend. The Truth of this practice is beyond anything you can ever imagine, and sooner or later it will be revealed to you, and you will experience the Truth.
Go to Top of Page

BillinL.A.

USA
375 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2013 :  6:40:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Arjuna...I like to think I have a hint of what you've said so well.
Go to Top of Page

timothyschilling

France
8 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2013 :  05:02:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
So I'm still doing everything I should be doing according to DM text and this forum but sometimes I'm getting frustrated at what seems like nothing really happening. Now it's been 70 days of DM and about 40 days of DM + SB. I keep reading Yogani's writings looking for something I missed but end up longing for all the ecstatic bliss, spinal openings, light gushing, that he writes about. According to lots of Q&A, everybody can't wait to get back to their DM pillow to reap the bliss and the inner bliss silence, the light, going inside infinity and all that great stuff that is constantly described but has not materialized for me. I know it sounds like I'm complaining but sometimes I can't help but wonder if this is being made up or what.

So what have I noticed changing? More calm. more steady like the text say. My asana practice in particular has more meaning and more effect now that I'm doing the DM. I guess it's all good but if I'm like this and I am sincere and others responded to me saying they have/went through the same thing in terms of not much happening then maybe AYP Yogani needs to look at this and address it somehow. I mean the text makes it sound so natural, fast and quickly blissful and beautiful...

Or is it just a long purification? It's hard for me to think that this is all purification. I don't see anything being purified or else I'm so un-pure I can't even begin to feel anything, which could be the case... Any thoughts again from you out there will be appreciated.

Thanks, Tim
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2013 :  12:12:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Tim,

I feel your pain as I can see how it could be easy to interpret Yogani's writings in a way that could create expectations for near immediate results. In reality however, it took you your entire lifetime (or hundreds of lifetimes if you are inclined in that way) to accumulate the current obstructions so expecting 70 days of meditation to reverse all that is a tad unrealistic.

I think there are a couple of things worth pointing out here:

1) At a certain point, usually when the identification with the body/mind is dropped, the concepts of time and space become transparent and the "timeframe" that events take place in becomes less "rigid." What I mean by that is that at a certain point, 40 years can seem like the blink of an eye... and when writing from that perspective, which I'm sure Yogani is, the writings could easily be interpreted by others as taking 'no time at all'.... and in the grand scheme, 40 years really is the blink of an eye.

2) The results/effects of AYP practice are often very subtle. Often it is other's that notice the differences even before we do simply because we are so close to ourselves that we miss these subtle changes. With some time and an increase in sensitivity the benefits become more and more evident.

3) How one defines "bliss" is very subjective. What you are calling bliss may not be what Yogani (and other's) are pointing to. In my opinion/experience, bliss is simply a lack of suffering. The "ecstasy" that others talk about is, in my opinion, a sign of imbalance and not necessarily a sign of advancement. At least that's how it was for me. Now, when I am balanced, there is no "ecstatic bliss" there is simply quiet compassion. Before, when I was unbalanced, I would experience ecstatic sensations so strong that communication was nearly impossible and normal human functioning was very very challenging.

Not sure if this is going to be helpful, but hopefully there is something here that resonates.

Love,
Carson
Go to Top of Page

mr_anderson

USA
734 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2013 :  12:34:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit mr_anderson's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Dear Tim,

On practical note, I was doing meditation practice quite regularly for 5 years before I had even an inkling of bliss. And frankly, bliss, in my view, is the most irrelevant benefit of meditation practices. It’s good when bliss is experienced, I don’t care when it’s not happening.

Spiritual seeking, for the majority of us (including myself), almost always starts out with the seeker transposing their seeking of happiness/good feelings in the world to seeking happiness/good feelings from spiritual experiences.

In other words, we become aware of the inherent unsatisfactoriness (Dukkha) of trying to get happiness from a job, a car, money, the right girlfriend, the situation in life, drugs, alcohol, diet, losing weight, gaining muscle, getting that new TV we wanted… whatever it is, we’ve realized these things don’t bring any lasting happiness. When we get them, feels good for a little while, then it’s onto the next thing, and nothing has really changed.

On becoming aware of Dukkha, the longing for happiness from gross objects (as described above), turns into what is just a slightly wiser approach. Happiness is just a feeling right? If there are practices that can give us the feeling that we want, without needing to be reliant on gross objects, we could get some of this elusive “inner happiness” or “inner peace”.

So we instead of longing for gross objects, we start longing for subtle objects. Bliss, non-dual awareness, unity, whatever fanciful and attractive spiritual experiences we read about someone else having. If I just had that, then I could be happy! In fact just by reading about these experiences others are having and we are not, the unsatisfactoriness of our own experience is more keenly perceived.

There’s a word for this mechanism of seeking what is not present, and hence slightly resisting what is present, and it’s called Ego. It’s this very mechanism that is the cause of suffering, and the process of endlessly chasing desires, and ultimately continuing to suffer from the inherent Dukkha irrespective of whether or not those desires are fulfilled.

This mechanism of seeking/resisting (being motivated to gain pleasure and resist pain) only has power over us as so long as we are identified with it (not consciously witnessing it from a detached perspective). I think bliss, which transcends pleasure & pain, is perceived in direct correlation to the amount which we have ceased to identify with the ego’s mechanism of continually resisting the present moment by seeking pleasure which is not present, and resisting the pain that is present. At least if there's not bliss, when we cease identifying and being swayed by the pain/pleasure mechanism, we find equanimity.

I am one of the worst possible failures as a spiritual practitioner. My bhakti was so intense, I was so unbearably conscious of Dukkha, and so strongly desired this enlightenment panacea I was hearing about. I can’t describe the pain I suffered under this intense desire for some sort of spiritual experience that was absolutely not happening to me. I just failed miserably to derive anything noticeable from my practices for year after year.

The pain of my failure eventually forced me to stop seeking anything, and simply confront my experience as it was: immensely painful and dissatisfying. When I learned to stop running from this, I woke up out of identification with this mechanism of constantly resisting all pain, and always seeking to control experience into being more pleasurable. I found my true nature was altogether beyond these opposites.

This mechanism is right at the heart of the ego. If this resonates with you, I suggest listening to Adyashanti’s talk about this called Fierce Grace, and as a practical guide to specifically targeting this deeply ingrained resistance/seeking mechanism, I suggest the Presence Process by Michael Brown. A book that takes us deeply into the present moment, willingly opening ourselves to whatever it may contain: especially the aspects which are deeply unpleasant.

Then you might start to realize yourself as something which is altogether beyond that apparent person who is solely motivated by its own pleasure and pain.

Fierce Grace is free for download: http://www.adyashanti.org/cafedharm...ibrary_audio

And The Presence Process is on Amazon.

Love,
Josh
Go to Top of Page

BillinL.A.

USA
375 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2013 :  12:58:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm in the same boat as you a lot of times Timothyschilling.

Yogoni said once in his nonchalant but poignant way that 2 to 3 years seems an important average for seeing the effects of AYP techniques. I couldn't say where he said it but I'm using that as a goal for me to keep on keeping on!
Go to Top of Page

timothyschilling

France
8 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2013 :  03:15:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you CarsonZi. That is indeed very important to hear and I deeply appreciate you reflecting on it and responding. So true, the relativity of time, 70 days, expecting so much. In reality, when I pull myself away from myself, I can see the deeper, subtler effects on different everyday aspects of my life. It is there, down deep, soft and subtle but rooted. Thanks for grounding me. I need that.

And your analogy of "ecstasy" to imbalance and your own personal life experience is also very illuminating. Never thought of that quite like that, but I see what you are saying.

Again, thank you, thank you. Tim

quote:
Originally posted by CarsonZi

Hi Tim,

I feel your pain as I can see how it could be easy to interpret Yogani's writings in a way that could create expectations for near immediate results. In reality however, it took you your entire lifetime (or hundreds of lifetimes if you are inclined in that way) to accumulate the current obstructions so expecting 70 days of meditation to reverse all that is a tad unrealistic.

I think there are a couple of things worth pointing out here:

1) At a certain point, usually when the identification with the body/mind is dropped, the concepts of time and space become transparent and the "timeframe" that events take place in becomes less "rigid." What I mean by that is that at a certain point, 40 years can seem like the blink of an eye... and when writing from that perspective, which I'm sure Yogani is, the writings could easily be interpreted by others as taking 'no time at all'.... and in the grand scheme, 40 years really is the blink of an eye.

2) The results/effects of AYP practice are often very subtle. Often it is other's that notice the differences even before we do simply because we are so close to ourselves that we miss these subtle changes. With some time and an increase in sensitivity the benefits become more and more evident.

3) How one defines "bliss" is very subjective. What you are calling bliss may not be what Yogani (and other's) are pointing to. In my opinion/experience, bliss is simply a lack of suffering. The "ecstasy" that others talk about is, in my opinion, a sign of imbalance and not necessarily a sign of advancement. At least that's how it was for me. Now, when I am balanced, there is no "ecstatic bliss" there is simply quiet compassion. Before, when I was unbalanced, I would experience ecstatic sensations so strong that communication was nearly impossible and normal human functioning was very very challenging.

Not sure if this is going to be helpful, but hopefully there is something here that resonates.

Love,
Carson

Go to Top of Page

timothyschilling

France
8 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2013 :  04:00:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi again Josh. Wow. Very well articulated. To say that it resonates with me is an understatement. Yes. The ego and dukkha. Huge elements of dark light in my life. Even over the 2-3 years of private asana practice and 70 days or so of DM, my increasing awareness of ego and dukkha is certainly THE big KEY thing that keeps me connected to ever-expanding yoga... because I 'see' that as I 'give me up' (ego), dukkha is proportionally reduced, and I become increasingly 'spiritually solid' or 'real' or 'spiritually connected' and not merely 'silly happy'. Thanks for helping me see that.

I will most definitely seek Adyashanti and Michael Brown's work.

I am so thankful for your taking time with me. It seems like you've traveled this road before and it means a lot to me because I'm just out here. I don't have groups around me or yogis or gurus. It's a rural place. So thanks from deep down.

Tim

quote:

Dear Tim,

On practical note, I was doing meditation practice quite regularly for 5 years before I had even an inkling of bliss. And frankly, bliss, in my view, is the most irrelevant benefit of meditation practices. It’s good when bliss is experienced, I don’t care when it’s not happening.

Spiritual seeking, for the majority of us (including myself), almost always starts out with the seeker transposing their seeking of happiness/good feelings in the world to seeking happiness/good feelings from spiritual experiences.

In other words, we become aware of the inherent unsatisfactoriness (Dukkha) of trying to get happiness from a job, a car, money, the right girlfriend, the situation in life, drugs, alcohol, diet, losing weight, gaining muscle, getting that new TV we wanted… whatever it is, we’ve realized these things don’t bring any lasting happiness. When we get them, feels good for a little while, then it’s onto the next thing, and nothing has really changed.

On becoming aware of Dukkha, the longing for happiness from gross objects (as described above), turns into what is just a slightly wiser approach. Happiness is just a feeling right? If there are practices that can give us the feeling that we want, without needing to be reliant on gross objects, we could get some of this elusive “inner happiness” or “inner peace”.

So we instead of longing for gross objects, we start longing for subtle objects. Bliss, non-dual awareness, unity, whatever fanciful and attractive spiritual experiences we read about someone else having. If I just had that, then I could be happy! In fact just by reading about these experiences others are having and we are not, the unsatisfactoriness of our own experience is more keenly perceived.

There’s a word for this mechanism of seeking what is not present, and hence slightly resisting what is present, and it’s called Ego. It’s this very mechanism that is the cause of suffering, and the process of endlessly chasing desires, and ultimately continuing to suffer from the inherent Dukkha irrespective of whether or not those desires are fulfilled.

This mechanism of seeking/resisting (being motivated to gain pleasure and resist pain) only has power over us as so long as we are identified with it (not consciously witnessing it from a detached perspective). I think bliss, which transcends pleasure & pain, is perceived in direct correlation to the amount which we have ceased to identify with the ego’s mechanism of continually resisting the present moment by seeking pleasure which is not present, and resisting the pain that is present. At least if there's not bliss, when we cease identifying and being swayed by the pain/pleasure mechanism, we find equanimity.

I am one of the worst possible failures as a spiritual practitioner. My bhakti was so intense, I was so unbearably conscious of Dukkha, and so strongly desired this enlightenment panacea I was hearing about. I can’t describe the pain I suffered under this intense desire for some sort of spiritual experience that was absolutely not happening to me. I just failed miserably to derive anything noticeable from my practices for year after year.

The pain of my failure eventually forced me to stop seeking anything, and simply confront my experience as it was: immensely painful and dissatisfying. When I learned to stop running from this, I woke up out of identification with this mechanism of constantly resisting all pain, and always seeking to control experience into being more pleasurable. I found my true nature was altogether beyond these opposites.

This mechanism is right at the heart of the ego. If this resonates with you, I suggest listening to Adyashanti’s talk about this called Fierce Grace, and as a practical guide to specifically targeting this deeply ingrained resistance/seeking mechanism, I suggest the Presence Process by Michael Brown. A book that takes us deeply into the present moment, willingly opening ourselves to whatever it may contain: especially the aspects which are deeply unpleasant.

Then you might start to realize yourself as something which is altogether beyond that apparent person who is solely motivated by its own pleasure and pain.

Fierce Grace is free for download: http://www.adyashanti.org/cafedharm...ibrary_audio

And The Presence Process is on Amazon.

Love,
Josh

Go to Top of Page

timothyschilling

France
8 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2015 :  4:20:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks josh. this was immensely helpful to me. After another year of practice, I feel like i'm feeling more anchored. No big bliss fests or anything, just calm, normal life flow. Thanks. Tim
Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2242 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2015 :  6:42:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hey Tim,

Thanks for checking in and reporting you're still "at it". Sounds as if your expectations are in your rear view and nothing but open road ahead! Keep on trucking
Go to Top of Page

Prem

Canada
90 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2015 :  10:11:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit Prem's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I can certainly relate to these dry periods of wandering in the wilderness. Wanting, craving, desiring to grab that carrot of ecstasy that is dangled before us. It's a sure recipe for suffering. I realize I'm doing the dangling myself. Its been a year for me and I have let go of any expectations of what my DM session "should" be like and embraced it as it "is". Enjoy the ride even if the scenery is dull at times. We will get there. Chasing happiness in DM or in real life doesn't work. As a friend said its about wanting what we have - not having what we want. Be patient with your practice and even if the session feels mundane you will see results beginning to spill over into everyday life - the proof in the pudding so to speak. Even then we don't cling or grasp it when it happens. As Yogani says "good things are happening" - we are cleaning house in spite of how it "feels" at the time. I'm not experiencing fllashing lights but life just feels more in an easy flow. Relationships are better. Little synchronicities when they happen are a small taste of what's to come. Why is patience towards the self so difficult at times? Wishing you well on the Path.

Edited by - Prem on Mar 07 2015 10:36:57 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000