Discussions on AYP Pranayama, Mudras and Bandhas
 beginner SBP question on visualizing
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

thibaud05

France
86 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2014 :  09:17:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi,
I would like to know how important it is to visualize the spinal tube when doing SBP? I have difficulty visualizing the tube so instead I just go up and down the spinal cord with feeling instead of visualizing anything.

bewell

1275 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2014 :  12:47:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi,

Part of the lesson is to do SBP with ease. Seems to me your interpretation of the lesson is fine.

Enjoy!

Go to Top of Page

thibaud05

France
86 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2014 :  11:02:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you very much bewell.

Yes part of the lesson is to do SBP with ease but the other part of the lesson is to visualize a tiny tube in the spinal cord.

I wonder what will be the effects over the long term if I continue doing SBP with feeling going up and down my spine. Hope it turns out fine because it is very difficult for me to visualize.

Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2014 :  02:08:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
hello thibaud05
i never was sucessful in visualizing the spine. I only moved my attention up and down the spine and the practice was very sucessful. It was so succesful that few years ago i had to stop SBP for several months cause it overloaded me
Go to Top of Page

thibaud05

France
86 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2014 :  07:35:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi maheswari,

Thank you very much. Glad to know it worked out for you. Hope I don't get into overload symptoms soon. Next thing I have to integrate is sambhavi mudra and that is a tricky one to do for me also.
Go to Top of Page

bewell

1275 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2014 :  4:13:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi thibaud05,

Yogoni's shambhavi lesson is beautifully written. (I just reviewed it). The mudra is subtle and gentle. My advice: when you are inclined, review the instructions and be lovingly present to the inner neurological wisdom of your body. Trust that over time, with a little nudging, your body will want to do shambhavi mudra naturally.

Edited by - bewell on Jul 07 2014 4:14:46 PM
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2014 :  02:12:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Hope I don't get into overload symptoms soon.

as Yogani says, even in the smoothest journey there will always be energy overload symptoms
no need to worry in advance cause there is an excellent tool called self pacing
Go to Top of Page

krcqimpro1

India
329 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2014 :  08:47:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Everybody,

When I started off with SBP, I too had difficulty visualizing the silver tube and even tracing the spinal column with my attention. I would start tracing from the perineum but soon lose track and after a brief interruption,continue again where I had "left off". This interruption would occur several times each breath. This was very unsatisfactory.
To help with this, I took a stick, about 10 to 12 inches long, and after ensuring there were no sharp edges, I starting going up the spinal column from the outside at the back with the stick held in my left hand, slowly during inhalation, going about halfway up and then continuing without the help of the stick after I "reached" the heart or throat chakra, till I hit the third eye. On exhalation, I start without the stick from the third eye to about the throat chakra at the back, and again resume with the stick till I reach the lower point. I found the whole process going very smoothly.Since I only had to feel the tip of the stick it was easy visualizing it going up and down. It was not hard to start from the perineum without the stick till I reached the Swadishtana chakra during inhalation, and from the third eye to the vishuddhi or heart chakra on exhalation. After a month or so you can discard the stick, and the process carries on smoothly.

Krish

Edited by - krcqimpro1 on Jul 12 2014 08:03:32 AM
Go to Top of Page

thibaud05

France
86 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2014 :  10:02:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you all very much for your suggestions and help.

@maheswari: It took me years to start off my SBP practice as I wanted first to be stable in meditation.
I am not a big fan of energy overloads, my way is smooth and easy.

@bewell : beautifully said. Thank you.

@Krish : It is a very interesting method that you are sharing. I think I could benefit from it also because I have the same difficutly of "feeling" the spinal cord at the lower back level.
Also I have a small breathing capacity due to small lungs (my rising astral sign is Gemini and people with it are known to have small lungs). This means I barely have enough time to trace in detail my spinal cord. Some parts I scan slower, others I go faster because I run out of breath.

Go to Top of Page

sunyata

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2014 :  09:59:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi thibaud05,

I had similar problems like you in the beginning. I just followed Maheswari's advice and moved my attention up and down the spine(I had posted same question in the past). It worked and currently overloading.
I introduced AYP to my Mom few months back and she's already seeing the silver thread (not fair). As, Yogani says everyone is wired differently. I too follow the motto "Slow and steady wins the race" with AYP.
Just follow your attention up and down the spine if visualizing is difficult.
quote:
Some parts I scan slower, others I go faster because I run out of breath.

I had same issue, it will get smoother with practice.

Love,
Sunyata

Edited by - sunyata on Jul 12 2014 10:03:48 AM
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2014 :  04:41:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Frankly I m not interested in seeing the silver thread
if it happens then ok
if it doesn't then ok too
Go to Top of Page

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2014 :  10:00:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
What silver thread ?

Yogani gave it as an example to help understand the practice it isn't sacrosanct. It would perhaps have been useful to add - feel, hear, smell or any other way it works for you.
Go to Top of Page

sunyata

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2014 :  2:33:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Frankly I m not interested in seeing the silver thread
if it happens then ok
if it doesn't then ok too

I'm with you

quote:
What silver thread ?

Yogani gave it as an example to help understand the practice it isn't sacrosanct

Karl,

I stand corrected. It just came up in a conversation. I double checked and these are the specifics- she sees white thread and sometimes colors of the rainbow in the spine. All just scenery
Go to Top of Page

Wafu

United Kingdom
76 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2014 :  4:00:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi thibaud

quote:
I have difficulty visualizing the tube so instead I just go up and down the spinal cord with feeling instead of visualizing anything.

I'd say you've got the method down just right here. Letting go of any expectation to see or experience anything during the practice is the best way to go and will make the practice feel much more effortless and enjoyable.

I'm also one of those who has never visually experienced the spinal nerve, something that used to bug me in the early days I was so excited and quite desperate to see this thread! Now I do very little spinal breathing as I've become quite sensitive to it. When I do there is still no visual, but the feeling of moving up and down within a great space can happen.

It helps to have the intention to breathe slowly and deeply during spinal breathing. In my experience it's easier to feel the way up and down when your breath is a little slower than usual. As your practices continue you might find your breath slowing down naturally. It seems that as stillness grows in the body, less and less breath is needed to sustain it. I doubt a small lung capacity will hold you back much in practice. As yogani says, the most important thing is to be at the third eye at the end of the inhalation and at the root and the end of exhalation. What happens in between is less important.

Hope this helps

Edited by - Wafu on Jul 13 2014 4:01:35 PM
Go to Top of Page

Anima

484 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2014 :  10:50:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
This sounds like you're off to an excellent start
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2014 :  03:10:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
What silver thread ?

hahaha
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.07 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000