Discussions on AYP Pranayama, Mudras and Bandhas
 Jalandhara, Swallowing, and Breath "Waves"
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

tamasaburo

USA
136 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2014 :  12:58:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I recently bought this book: http://www.amazon.com/Pranayama-Bre...ayama+breath

It is a very detailed treatment of all aspects of pranayama and seems quite good in general. Reading it made me realize there are a couple of things I still don't quite grasp about SBP, or which still feel "clunky," though I've been practicing for several years.

First of all, is there any specific technique to the actual motion of the breath in SBP? I think what I've read is that the breathing is basically full and natural, but with the addition of visualization of spinal nerve, ujjayi, bandhas, etc.

But what about the actual movement that powers the inhalation and exhalation? In this book, the author describes two different styles of "oceanic" breathing: one is a kind of wave that goes from bottom to top and down again (start inhaling by expanding lower abdomen, then middle of abdomen, then rib cage; exhale by contracting in reverse order), and the other is a wave which goes up both on inhalation and exhalation (inhale by first expanding lower abdomen, then middle of abdomen, then rib cage, but exhale by first contracting lower abdomen, then middle abdomen, then rib cage). The latter seems a bit tough to me, though I think it is the technique the author recommends for more experienced practitioners.

I have always found it tough to coordinate the "downward" feel of the diaphragm on inhalation with the upward movement of the attention and vice-versa, and even after several years, my SBP still feels kind of "clunky" at times. I think part of the problem is I still don't have a very specific, consistent breathing technique. Is there a specific technique to the breathing part of SBP, like "first expand lower abdomen, then middle abdomen, then chest, then contract chest, then contract middle abdomen, then lower abdomen"?

The other question is about Jalandhara: the author says that one must "swallow" after bringing the chest to the chin, as this creates the true throat "seal" between chest and head, preventing too much pressure from going into the head during kumbhaka. This feels very interesting to me in that it shifts some of the pressure to the lungs, but away from the head, but it might also be counterproductive from the AYP point of view, since it seems we want a certain, mild increase in the pressure in the nasal cavity area, as that's part of what stimulates ajna, correct?

Maybe this extra tight seal is more necessary when using the "double up wave" breath the author recommends, but not necessary when using an "up-down" sort of breath, as I guess is the AYP recommendation? Thanks for any insights.

*I thought I'd add: I've noticed in the past, and again recently, as I've been experimenting with the "swallow+jalandhara" maneuver, that intentionally swallowing and holding for a moment, with or without jalandhara, seems itself almost to be a kind of bandha for me: it seems to stimulate my chest and stomach regions, and makes my stomach want to do a kind of quasi-nauli thing. It also feels good. Has anyone else noticed this? I recall Yogani described a "tongue swallowing" aspect of high level kechari, but can even the swallowing motion itself, without the tongue be a kind of bandha in its own right? Has anyone else noticed this?

Edited by - tamasaburo on Jul 05 2014 3:29:41 PM

bewell

1275 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2014 :  5:18:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi tamasaburo,

I enjoyed experimenting this morning with all the techniques you described above. I've been doing SBP for many years and "full body mudra" (also called "I am embrace") has become a frequent and enjoyable part of my ordinary experience. I found the combination of "double up wave" breathing and swallowing as described above created a lovely, pleasurable burst of energy throughout my body and radiating out beyond my physical body. It complimented full body mudra without eliminating it. A beautiful experience for which I am grateful.

Edited by - bewell on Jul 06 2014 5:20:22 PM
Go to Top of Page

tamasaburo

USA
136 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2014 :  11:03:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by bewell

Hi tamasaburo,

I enjoyed experimenting this morning with all the techniques you described above. I've been doing SBP for many years and "full body mudra" (also called "I am embrace") has become a frequent and enjoyable part of my ordinary experience. I found the combination of "double up wave" breathing and swallowing as described above created a lovely, pleasurable burst of energy throughout my body and radiating out beyond my physical body. It complimented full body mudra without eliminating it. A beautiful experience for which I am grateful.

Hi Bewell, I'm happy to hear you had a pleasant experience with the techniques described! They do seem to be fairly powerful. I can't necessarily say I "recommend" them yet, as I am just learning about these myself, and it is probably good to be cautious about creating too much pressure in the head with the "double up wave," but it sounds like you know what you're doing. Best wishes.
Go to Top of Page

bewell

1275 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2014 :  3:57:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by tamasaburo
\...pressure in the head with the "double up wave,"

I know what you are talking about.

I've learned that a sort pressure from within the brain (as distinct from a kind of blocked pressure on the crown -- blocked between cranium and scalp) can feel sweet, like love when balanced by a "hug from God" --- full body mudra.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000