Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Legs falls asleep - will it ever stop?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Untitled

USA
5 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2014 :  5:22:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
When I meditate in the seated beginner's position (as described in "Lesson 33 - Meditation Q&A – A new way to sit in meditation), my legs start to become uncomfortable and fall asleep after 10-15 minutes. I asked another man who I go to group meditations with, as he sits in the same way, if the same thing happens to him. He's meditated for years, and says that his legs still fall asleep but he's gotten used to it. I was wondering if the same goes for anyone else. Also, is it just this sitting posture? Do the more advanced sitting positions also make your legs go asleep? Is it because my knees aren't fully touching the ground because I'm not yet that flexible, and they won't fall asleep if the knees do touch the ground?

AumNaturel

Canada
687 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2014 :  07:25:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Untitled,
setting up a relatively comfortable sitting posture I believe to be one of those things that takes a lot of time and persistence. Asanas no doubt help with this, and it is also mentioned in the lessons that originally asanas were partly a way to learn to sit still for prolonged periods of time. I have done a combination of brief asanas, stretching after exercise or practice, and just sitting in meditation to loosen up the legs and improve sitting posture. Even now, I have to switch legs 3 times during an AYP session (which at its lengthiest can exceed 2 hours) partly because of numbness but mainly to ease pressure on the ankles, whereas before it used to be the knees, and before that the back. So there is a progression in posture, and improvement in circulation that occurs very slowly over time with persistent practice. I find the biggest factors in leg numbness to have been sitting with legs crossed ordinarily, which shifts the weight back instead of partly distributing it more evenly, and of the amount of tension in the back and legs. A teacher with experience should be able to speed things up and lessen the discomfort, though also recall that AYP is set up to work in any sitting upright position with or without back support.
Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2242 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2014 :  09:34:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Sitting on the edge of a blanket or pillow tilts the pelvis forward and allows the knees to rest on the floor. This should offer some relief.
Go to Top of Page

Untitled

USA
5 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2014 :  9:26:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you both for your answers. :3 I will definitely keep the information in mind.
Go to Top of Page

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2014 :  10:53:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Or just do it the way you are comfortable if you has no legs would it prevent meditation ?

I have bad circulation so crossing legs isn't a good option for me. I just sit upright with legs outstretched on a comfy sofa. Its more important to just do the practices.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000