Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 flying dreams
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

nearoanoke

USA
525 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2006 :  6:01:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Once in a while I get these flying dreams, as if i am flying in air without any gravitational pull and am travelling from one place to other just with the force of will/intention.

It seems so real in dream and i find its not true only when i wake up. Any thoughts on these dreams and how they might be related to yoga?

-Near

trip1

USA
739 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2006 :  8:06:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit trip1's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Near,

I experience these dreams as well and recently had an important revelation relating to my meditation practice during one. It's kind of hard to explain, but I'll do my best.

In this particular dream, instead of just flying around as usual, I faced an obstacle. Getting off the ground was no problem, but I could only get a few feet in the air no matter how hard I tried. At that point I realized that trying was actually the problem, and that I needed to let go. Upon allowing myself to let go, I could travel as high and far as I wanted to with no limitations. I had learned to fly.

Upon waking up, I immediately related the dream to my meditation practice and it has been much deeper ever since. I still feel like it was a message sent through the dream state in order to help me along on the path.

I also had three or four flying (or floating) dreams during a recent retreat. One thing they all have in common is that as you said, they are extremely realistic, and I can still remember almost all of them as if they happened during my waking life.

Thank you for bringing this topic up, I'm greatly looking forward to hearing other stories and throughts regarding this topic and have plenty more to share myself.

Namaste,
Brett
Go to Top of Page

Kyman

530 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2006 :  11:15:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kyman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I love those dreams.

I do my flying at night. :)

"Fly by the seat of your bedsheets" lol

You do think its real in the dream too.

Do you move things with your mind in your dreams too?
Go to Top of Page

weaver

832 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2006 :  11:28:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Near and Brett,

It's interesting to hear about your experiences with flying dreams. They are related to lucid dreams. When the nervous system gets clearer through the practice of yoga the consciousness will be more awake during dreams as well, and can tell that "this is the dream world, I can do whatever I want". One of the first fun things to do then is often the discovery that one can fly. I think spontaneous flying dreams are a prelude to lucid dreams. I have also had more flying dreams recently and they are usually combined with greater awareness. By the way, the Lucidity Institute teaches how to achieve lucid dreaming, but it will come by itself by the yoga practice. Stephen LaBerge even says that one can learn to play tennis for example by practicing during lucid dreams, then come out as a pretty good player in the physical.
Go to Top of Page

sadhak

India
604 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2006 :  11:57:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit sadhak's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by weaver

It's interesting to hear about your experiences with flying dreams. They are related to lucid dreams.

Hi Weaver, I believe flying dreams are very common, and everyone has them some time or the other.

But I was interested in seeing you relate them to lucid dreams. Because I once had such a vivid, lucid dream of flying (in the moonlight, just a few feet above the ground, not very high but it felt extremely real, because I saw myself getting out of bed, open the door and glide out, rise a few feet above, and then getting a little overwhelmed, go back to bed) that I can recall details like it really happened.

The following day was full of exhileration. But other flying dreams I had were like any other normal dream.
Go to Top of Page

weaver

832 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2006 :  5:10:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi sadhak,

Yes, I guess there are grades of flying dreams with more or less awareness, and that many can be like regular dreams. But when you get lucid, at least I find it so much fun to fly that I can't resist doing it. There is also a thin line between what is considered a lucid dream and an OBE (out-of-body experience). When you step out like you did it is usually considered an OBE. I used to practice that many years ago, get up about 4 a.m. and stilling the mind completely until it was rock steady, then lie down in bed and relax the body until I could step out and fly. The environment is often very clear and vivid, like you say. It was fun but I could only make them last maybe 5 minutes.
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2006 :  9:08:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

I used to practice that many years ago, get up about 4 a.m. and stilling the mind completely until it was rock steady, then lie down in bed and relax the body until I could step out and fly. The environment is often very clear and vivid, like you say. It was fun but I could only make them last maybe 5 minutes.

Hi Weaver, nice to have you back... haven't seen you around for a while now. You can actually have an OBE at will.. that sounds fascinating.. Wow!!!
Go to Top of Page

weaver

832 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2006 :  9:37:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Shanti,

Thank you, and it is nice to be back, but so much to catch up on reading all interesting posts since 2 months! I have been away most of the summer. No, I can't have an OBE at will now, at least I haven't tried, it was back in 1992 when I could live under circumstances that involved very little responsibilities in daily life, and really get into that stuff.
Go to Top of Page

sadhak

India
604 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2006 :  10:40:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit sadhak's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

No, I can't have an OBE at will now, at least I haven't tried, it was back in 1992 when I could live under circumstances that involved very little responsibilities in daily life, and really get into that stuff.

Hi Weaver,
Sometimes it appears to me that we all get some fantastic experiences or abilities early on only to push us into practices... a carrot to get us moving. Then we forget the carrot and just be with the moving on.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000