Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Birthday of Lord Krishna
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bipinjoshi

India
30 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2006 :  05:44:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit bipinjoshi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi Friends,
Today we celiberated the birthday of Lord Krishna popularly known as Janmashtmi or Gopala Kala. There was no holiday for offices but during the lunch time I went to see how various groups make pyramids and then break the "Dahi Handi". It was fun watching it

According to the Hindu lunar calendar Lord Krishna was born on the eighth day (called Ashtami) of the second (dark) fortnight of the month of Shravana. It is believed that he incarnated at the end of Dwapar Yuga and the beginning of the present era i.e. Kali Yuga.

I find Lord Krishna very close to my heart for many reasons. His wisdom Bhagvat Gita is so relavant and useful in the modern age. Daily I read at least one chapter of Bhagvat Gita and every time I read I get some more meaning, some more relavance.

If anyone is interested the story about his birth can be found at http://www.sanatan.org/en/campaigns/KJ/birth.htm.

david_obsidian

USA
2602 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2006 :  10:29:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
There's a time and a place for everything. Bipin, here's a suggestion that today isn't a good day to answer Maximus's question (if you want to answer it). Enjoy Krishna's birthday! Thanks for sharing it with us!
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2006 :  11:46:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Today will be such a beautiful day in India.. I really miss these festivals out here in the US. All over town they will hang earthen pots filled with water.. and above that will be money.. These pots are then tied high above the ground... the higher the pots.. the more the money.. and then men make a pyramid and try to break the pot and get the money.. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Krishna_Janmaashtami
Not to forget all the food and fest that goes along with it.. Couple of years back my kids got to watch it.. they were really impressed.
Luck you Bipin.. wish I was there...
Go to Top of Page

riptiz

United Kingdom
741 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2006 :  12:04:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit riptiz's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi,
It is also a special day for many others as today and tomorrow mark the mahasamadhi of Dhyanyogi Madhusudandas-ji who spent 4 yrs in the USA in the late 70's.There will be great celebrations on the ashram at this time and many visitors to his mahasamadhi.
L&L
Dave
Go to Top of Page

Maximus

India
187 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2006 :  11:23:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit Maximus's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Ok guys I just deleted my wrong posts. Lets celebrate the b'day boy.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000