Discussions on AYP Pranayama, Mudras and Bandhas
 SBP - Heel under perineum?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

GregM

USA
51 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2014 :  6:40:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit GregM's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Is it ill-advised to place the heel under the perineum during spinal breathing pranayama? Perhaps I missed it, but I found nothing advising for or against it in the materials I've read thus far, but iirc, Yogani suggests doing so during DM. Can anyone clarify this for me?

Much thanks,

Greg

Edited by - GregM on Mar 05 2014 6:41:54 PM

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1553 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2014 :  01:44:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Dear Greg,

It is indeed suggested - sitting in Siddhasana is supposed to be done throughout your sitting practices, if you're comfortable enough.

Sey

Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2014 :  10:57:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
In Yogani's novel "Secrets of Wilder", the main character John gradually implements siddhasana in all of his sitting practices. But the proper sequence is to get comfortable with it in Deep Meditation before adding it to any others like SBP. Same could be said about the other enhancements (mudras, bandhas, solar plexus centering, etc.).

Siddhasana is sporadic for me during DM, but the natural tendency and trend has been to use it more and more. It's a path of pleasure. I'm just trying to ride the wave. Glad you are coming along.
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5201 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2014 :  11:54:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Bodhi Tree

In Yogani's novel "Secrets of Wilder", the main character John gradually implements siddhasana in all of his sitting practices. But the proper sequence is to get comfortable with it in Deep Meditation before adding it to any others like SBP. Same could be said about the other enhancements (mudras, bandhas, solar plexus centering, etc.).

Siddhasana is sporadic for me during DM, but the natural tendency and trend has been to use it more and more. It's a path of pleasure. I'm just trying to ride the wave. Glad you are coming along.

Hi Bodhi and All:

The Secrets of Wilder novel is the "rough cut" on the rediscovery of full scope spiritual practices, and John Wilder fell off the wagon with overload more than once as a result of his daring explorations. Ah, those pioneers.

With the later development of the AYP lessons, and for ease of learning with minimum distraction during meditation, it became the other way around, so our spinal breathing pranayama (SBP) session is where it is suggested to develop siddhasana and certain mudras and bandhas that can ultimately become compatible with all our sitting practices. During our deep meditation and samyama sessions we only use them as they come naturally, so there will be minimum distraction.

This was not emphasized in Lesson 75 on siddhasana, and was clarified later in Lesson 235, and elsewhere in discussing the various mudras and bandhas.

It is also covered in the Asanas, Mudras and Bandhas book, particularly on page 76:
quote:
Mudras & Bandhas (and siddhasana) in Deep Meditation & Samyama

Deep meditation and samyama are different
from spinal breathing pranayama, in that they require
attention to be free to follow the procedures of
practice. We do not use our deep meditation and
samyama sessions (typically 20 minutes for
meditation and 10 minutes for samyama) for
developing mudras and bandhas, as this would
distract us from the specific mental procedures being
utilized. Once our mudras and bandhas have become
automatic habits, developed largely during spinal
breathing pranayama, then we may find them
cropping up in our deep meditation and samyama
sessions. This is fine, as long as we give them no
attention other than what may occur normally during
the procedures of these practices. In deep meditation,
this means easily and comfortably coming back to our
mantra whenever we realize we have drifted off from
it. In samyama, it means continuing with the specific
procedure of picking up and releasing our sutras in
inner silence.

The mudras and bandhas can be there during
these mental procedures or not, and we do not mind
them if they are. In this way, as we develop the habits
of mudras and bandhas in spinal breathing, the
automatic physical maneuvers may occur (usually
subtly) during deep meditation and samyama, or at
other times, including during our daily activity. And
if they do not, that is okay too.

Over time, mudras and bandhas become a natural
response in our body, both stimulating and
responding to the flow of ecstatic energy within us.

Sorry for any confusion on that.

All the best!

The guru is in you.

Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2014 :  1:23:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Ah! Thank you for the clarification, Yogani. I stand corrected.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000