Other Systems and Alternate Approaches
 RE: mindfulness of breath
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JosephUK

United Kingdom
212 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2014 :  2:15:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi everyone,

i've been practicing mindfulness for some time with the notion that as Yogani says less is more and its best to cut down when experiencing overload.

I have found through experience that if one does have the guru within which i have described as absolute boddhicitta then its simple to learn, simply expecting the guru within to master all the attitudes described by mindfulness teachers will (correct me if i'm wrong) grant you the gift of looking at the mind with the right attitude.

this i believe might be called vipassana, as opposed to the mind looking at the breath and developing insight.

it is the guru that looks.

but in looking at the mind instead of the breath you are practicing something which will develop and open the nervous system although whether you can practice samyama to the same effect as a practitioner meditating on iam is not for me to answer.

it can be quite scary to be mindful of thoughts and one can lose sense of self quite quickly so its nice to have a teacher or guru who can support you.

I am finding that spinal breathing could become a much easier thing to bear given the inherent softening of the mind which vipassana gives as opposed to the relaxation created by breath meditation or shinay which i believe can be useful on occassion to relax the nervous system.

So just to repeat with the more sensitive meditator breath meditation is good but i am not sure any real purification takes place perhaps a little relaxation feels good.

but when looking at ones mind with the right combination of attitudes one can open nadis, meridians, see beyond obstacles and be just as much on the journey to enlightenment as those creating pure bliss consciousness.

the upside is that during vipassana you may have some rather extreme experiences based on your karma but your day to day living will be as it always is without space cadet requirements, so not to much emotional highs.

I'm not sure how yogani would see this but i felt it required further elucidation and perhaps someone with more experience can add more.

so if you experience this (below) then your on the right path:

the mind is looking for the absolute and the absolute is looking at the mind.

joe

Edited by - AYPforum on Feb 25 2014 2:45:42 PM

AYPforum

351 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2014 :  2:45:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Moderator note: Topic moved for better placement
Go to Top of Page

Holy

796 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2014 :  6:52:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit Holy's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi JosephUK,

watching the mind brings very fast the seeing that you are not the mind and with that also fastly that you are not the body. It is one of those practices that make you glimpse into enlightenement very often. The only problem that happened here after some time was, that the mind becomes absolutely nonfunctional for daily tasks.

For some weeks it seems to keep up its role of used tendencies to act and react, but very soon this ability is lost by constant watching and then what remains is no mind, no will, no breath, bliss to death :P So the question is, how long have you tried that one out and what is your experience with it? :)

Thanks and peace
Go to Top of Page

JosephUK

United Kingdom
212 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2014 :  12:14:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi holy,

i have seen it opening up my meridians of my body, and also it has purified a great deal of mental afflictions.

however for me no bliss just like this void mixing with my energy which leaves me very drained.

i have generally stopped that practice now as it is a bit much and just practice shinay until i can get some decent advice from my Guru.

i have sight of my yogic body and the associated karmic blockages of each petal of the chakra (not massively deep)

but generally i feel empty all over and am drawn to fill the gap but nothing fills it, no real pleasure.

i think it is because my guru decided to focus the void into my meridians in order to purify a very dark blockage which was harmful, but its left a bloody great whole in me which feels like void and not just emptiness.

i understand emptiness in terms of the mind having phenomena arise in the emptiness but in the void nothing can arise and i just fall into it.

its like the abyss or where the anti christ goes oblivion imagine just falling and falling and never stopping thats how im beginning to view my afterlife based on this hole in me.

anyhow back to mindfulness, yeh i think that it purifies a lot but it doesnt generate much awareness and doesnt generate focus. any insight that comes seems to go to the absolute instead of the relative (not sure)

its just the lethargy and sick feeling i'm dealing with at the moment, it's torture. it feels like things are coming to a close and i'm doing death yoga as i've been fighting a powerful spirit who intends to make me sick and scare me half to death.

but mental suffering is way down, just need to work on yamas/niyamas now as my disicipline is terrible, coffee and cigarettes.

although ive cut most meats out of my diet apart from chicken :P

i need ecstasy but my gut says that i need to wait until 3 months is up before starting a new practice.

interestingly i've discovered that (imho) the soul is the inherent ability for the mind to create ie new phenomena in the mind, free will, mantra repetition.

when someone is dead inside it means their inner voice is lost. i say this because ive found it quite hard going from creating stabilising phenomena in the mind to prepare for life to doing so much destructive activity of mindfulness where there is no voice.

also i find that when the mindfulness happens the chakras spin and then for some reason when i stop everything just stops.

I guess for me there is such a lot of debris in my mind that is frozen in time and the medication i'm on prevents dopamin reuptake which i believe might leave emotional debris in the mind.

so when i stop looking, this combined with the imbalance caused by the void leads to a problem.

joe

ps sorry for going on, i'm not feeling great at the moment.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000