Enlightenment Milestones
 yesterday class
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2014 :  05:37:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
as you know when we do variations in sun salutations, we have to do the variations on both sides to keep the symetrie
ex: we do crescent moon pose when right leg is back
then we have to do crescent moon pose when the left leg is back

many time i takes me several seconds to remember the variations that i did with students on one side ,so we do them on the other side too

and sometimes i just can not remember so i ask my students, they remind me

yesterday i forgot what variation we did in the sun salutation.So i asked my students: what did we do on the right side?

i was happily surprised that none of my students remembered.They totally forgot They were so aware of the present moment that all of them forgot what variation we did

i was so happy for them. I explained to them that their practice is excellent . Totally living the present moment and immediately dropping each passing moment.WOWWWW

Ayiram

88 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2014 :  07:24:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ayiram's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

yes, beautiful, the same thing happens to me with my students...enjoy!
Go to Top of Page

Ecdyonurus

Switzerland
479 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2014 :  07:53:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting idea! However, during asana I don't think one should go so far and loose control completely. I can remember a couple of times where I went in a kind of meditation/trance while doing asanas and the result was not funny in terms of impact on the body afterwards (lower back, in my case). Also, if you have specifical conditions, you have to be aware of safety during certain asanas.
Go to Top of Page

Ayiram

88 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2014 :  10:43:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ayiram's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Ecdyonurus,

certainly, one can always get injured while doing asanas and one should always listen to its own body.
from my experience though, there´s less danger of causing yourself some injury while being in this meditative state than while "having control". it´s because the wisdom of prana takes over and one becomes more in tune with one´s own breath. the tricky business there is as always the mind that will even then try to interfere and then it´s up to our discernment and our choice.

but those are great chances for surrendering and one should not miss them.one should just stay with the breath.

Go to Top of Page

Ecdyonurus

Switzerland
479 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2014 :  2:20:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Ayiram

Hi Ecdyonurus,

certainly, one can always get injured while doing asanas and one should always listen to its own body.
from my experience though, there´s less danger of causing yourself some injury while being in this meditative state than while "having control". it´s because the wisdom of prana takes over and one becomes more in tune with one´s own breath. the tricky business there is as always the mind that will even then try to interfere and then it´s up to our discernment and our choice.

but those are great chances for surrendering and one should not miss them.one should just stay with the breath.

Hi Ayiram, I agree that doing asanas in a meditative state is a beautiful thing, and also a gentle practice - much safer than doing asanas like mere physical exercices or straining to achieve a "perfect" pose.

But I also think one should not emphasize to much the meditative side during asanas. I think that each practice has its own natural scope/range. There may be a link to other practices, like between some asanas and some pranayamas, but one should always be aware of the main scope of the practice he or she engages in and stay in that range.

As I described before, I had some bad experiences. For example, I once went into a deep state during an inversion, for a much longer time than my body can handle. Another time I went in a similar state and finally fell asleep in a backbend restorative pose... that pose is fine for me if kept for some minutes, but staying for 45 minutes in the same pose injured my back (I have back and neck condition).
Go to Top of Page

Ayiram

88 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2014 :  05:15:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ayiram's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Ecdyonurus,

that has never been my experience! shavasana was the only position in which i or my students fell asleep. but maybe it´s beacuse we don´t hold the positions for more than 5-10 inbreaths and outbreaths.i don´t know how your asana practice looks like, but if that´s the case, maybe you should set an alarm clock for yourself...

i get what you mean when you say one should not emphasize the meditative side during asanas, but sometimes it´s enough just to activate the ujjayi breath and to start practicing to get into that state. afterall, asanas are meditation in movement, so they are meant to purify your nervous system too, not only to make your body more flexible or physically stronger.

but i have learned something here.thank you for sharing and wish you all the best with your asana practice!

Edited by - Ayiram on Feb 21 2014 05:15:52 AM
Go to Top of Page

Ecdyonurus

Switzerland
479 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2014 :  07:26:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Sure - doing asanas as physical exercise is pointless, even boring in my opinion (I mean, for mere physical fitness a good gym workout or even dancing are much more interesting).

I also usually hold the poses for 5-10 breaths.

The experiences I wrote about in my other posts happened in restorative poses, which are supposed to be held for longer time, and me being exhausted.
Go to Top of Page

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1553 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2014 :  01:37:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I must say Shavasana is my favorite pose. It is my cat's favorite pose as well. He always joins me on the mat when we get to that pose.

Sey
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000