AYPsite.org Forum
 Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Some questions about AYP
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mysticyogi

17 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2006 :  11:37:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit mysticyogi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi Yogani,
Since last month or so I am visiting this web site and I like your effort to spread the ancient science of Yoga in modern way. I have few questions about the lessons. I hope you will clarify them. I know these questions are not so important compared to actual practice but if you can clarify them that would be great:

1. Whay AYP is called as "advanced"? Is it because it is higher that yoga postures? Why do you think they are advanced? Is it because few can practice them? I feel "advanced" or "beginner" depends on the practitioner rather than the practice itself. For example Padmasana can be simple for me but very difficult for someone else.

2. In tantra lessons you have used the word "Amroli" for auto urine therapy. I am curious to know the source of this link. I was always thinking that amroli (as in Vajroli, Sahajoli and Amaroli) is completely different than Shivambu Kalpa or auto urine therapy. My defination of amaroli is different than this. It would be great if you can give me more information that clears my understanding.

3. You have used the original Sanskrit names for all the practices such as Maha mudra, Khechari mudra etc. However you call Kundalini Pranayama as Spinal Breathing. Why is that? Is it because you do not want to link your practices directly to Kundalini?

Since you are the creator of this web site I think you are the best person to ask these doubts. I do have few more questions but let me keep them for later time Thank you very much for your efforts in building and maintaining this web site.

yogani

USA
5201 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2006 :  12:30:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Mystic:

I try not to get fixed on labels, focusing more on the thing itself, and the audience it is being conveyed to. For example, the Secrets of Wilder uses common English terms for just about everything we talk about here, because it was written primarily for western Judeo/Christian readers.

The AYP lessons and books use Sanskrit, but it is simplified as much as possible to reach a wider audience.

As they say, "A rose is still a rose by any other name."

Keeping that in mind, here are responses to your questions:

1. In AYP, "advanced" does not necessarily refer to the people using it, but to the integrated open source system that AYP is, which can be used by anyone at beginning, intermediate or advanced levels. I think most would agree that the system itself is pretty advanced in ultimate capabilities, not only because of the full-scope integration of techniques, but for its easy access, the simplicity of the practices, and, of course, self-pacing at every level.

These days, we know that "advanced" technology in the public domain is technology that is powerful and easily accessible to people at all levels of expertise.

Oops, my cell phone is ringing. Someday I will learn to operate all the features on this thing. I'm glad it is so easy to use as a basic telephone ... very advanced!

That is the concept in AYP too.

2. "Amaroli" was used because the term was already in common use in the west. The term "Shivambu Kalpa" was considered, but in the end I decided to use amaroli as the key word -- less esoteric connotation and easier to remember. It was as simple as that. Amaroli is one of the few AYP practices not covered in the Secrets of Wilder. If it were, you can be sure it would have a simple English name. But not Pee Drinking!

3. On "spinal breathing pranayama," I don't believe this wonderful practice has had a common usage name, only many sectarian names. So I made up a descriptive non-sectarian name that everyone could easily understand and relate to. That is where it came from. East meets west!

If this is all wrong, please forgive me. I know terminology is very important, and you should feel free to use whatever terms you are comfortable with. Just make sure we can understand what you are talking about.

Ease of understanding and implementation have been the main criteria used in the development of AYP. It is a blending of the ancient and the contemporary.

It is the practices themselves, and the results, that count. That is always first and foremost here. A rose is still a rose...

The guru is in you.
Go to Top of Page

mysticyogi

17 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2006 :  11:37:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit mysticyogi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Yogani,
Thank you for your answers. I can not say that I am fully convienced but I am now understanding you and your vision more clearly. Thank you.

You rightly said that "Rose is a still rose...". What happened was - since I know that rose is called as "rose", I seriously took the oddity of someone calling it "lotus". I am practicing Shivambu Kalpa for many years and never came across anything that tells me that Amaroli is same as Shivambu Kapla. For me Vajroli, Sahajoli and Amaroli are group of interrelated practices and do not have any direct relation with Shivambu Kalpa or urine therapy. So I was confused at your terminology. But then it might be just me.

You said - "It is the practices themselves, and the results, that count. That is always first and foremost here.".

I agree 100% with you on that.

Thanks again for sparing your time.

Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5201 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2006 :  11:30:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Mystic:

You got me curious, because I have not heard of amaroli referred to as anything but taking urine -- the same as shivambu kalpa. In the Hatha Yoga Pradipika, the word amaroli is used in that way. In the Damar Tantra, shivambu kalpa is used. Both are describing the same action of urine ingestion (Damar Tantra in much more detail). The Hatha Yoga Pradipika is the better known of the two scriptures, so perhaps that is why Amaroli is the term in common usage in the west.

Below are excerpts from both. I see the tie-in with vajroli in the Hatha Yoga Pradipika, but these still are two distinct practices, though they certainly impact one another through the natural interconnectedness of all yoga practices in the nervous system. Both are the "taking back in of bodily substances," so that is the similarity I suppose.

In AYP, we take a more natural and refined approach to vajroli than is described in the Hatha Yoga Pradipika. See http://www.aypsite.org/T30.html and http://www.aypsite.org/T46.html

While it may sound sacrilegious, I consider vajroli as described in the Hatha Yoga Pradipika to be a distortion of the natural processes of preservation and cultivation of sexual energy that occur in us with the rise of ecstatic conductivity in the nervous system. Even if vajroli in the HYP is not intended to be macho and chauvinistic, that will be the outcome for most eager male practitioners anyway, and have little to do with real yoga. There are much better ways to get there, while honoring and promoting the divine unfoldment in both sexes.

We should always keep in mind that ancient scriptures, while extremely valuable, were written by people too, in their own cultural climate, and are sometimes edited over the centuries. They offer much important knowledge to us, but must stand the test of real-time experience, the final arbiter of truth. The quest for truth in scripture is noble. Yet, it is to be finally transcended as the truth unfolds within each of us.

The guru (and final scripture) is in you.

--------------------

From Hatha Yoga Pradipika:
http://www.santosha.com/philosophy/...hapter3.html

The Amaroli.

94. In the doctrine of the sect of the Kapalikas, the Amaroli is the drinking of the mid stream; leaving the 1st, as it is a mixture of too much bile and the last, which is useless.

95. He who drinks Amari (urine), snuff it daily, and practices Vajroli, is called practicing Amaroli.
------------------

From Damar Tantra:
http://www.audarya-fellowship.com/f...-tantra.html

O Parvati! I shall expound to you the recommended actions and rituals of Shivambu Kalpa that confers numerous benefits. Those well versed in the scriptures have carefully specified certain vessels for the purpose. (1)

Utensils made from the following materials are recommended: Gold, Silver, Copper, Bronze, Brass, Iron, Clay, Ivory, Glass, Wood from sacred trees, Bones, Leather and Leaves. (2, 3)

The Shivambu (one's own urine) should be collected in a utensil made of any of these materials. Among them, clay utensils are better, copper are by far the best. (4)

The intending practitioner of the therapy should abjure salty or bitter foods, should not over-exert himself, should take a light meal in the evening, should sleep on the ground, and should control and master his senses. (5)

The sagacious practitioner should get up when three quarters of the night have elapsed, and should pass urine while facing the east. (6)

The wise one should leave out the first and the last portions of the urine, and collect only the middle portion. This is considered the best procedure. (7)

Just as there is poison in the mouth and the tail of the serpent, O Parvati, it is even so in the case of the flow of Shivambu. (8)

Shivambu (auto- urine) is heavenly nectar, which is capable of destroying senility and diseases. The practitioner of Yoga should take it before proceeding with his other rituals. (9)

After cleansing the mouth, and performing the other essential morning functions, one should drink one's own clear urine, which is the annihilator of senility and diseases. (10)

etc...
Go to Top of Page

mysticyogi

17 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2006 :  08:43:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit mysticyogi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Yogani,
My knowledge is based on my Guru's teachings who is a Yogi here in India. I myself was in seclusion for 5 years or so and then he asked me to return to my "normal" life. I practice Shivambu Kalpa myself.

As you know in most of the ancient Indian texts Amaroli is mentioned as "Mudra". It is difficult to call drinking urine as a Mudra. Vajroli, Sahajoli and Amaroli are flavors of the same prosess which differ in only small way. Shiva Samhita explains that difference clearly. You may refer it if you so wish. I do not have english translation of it with me otherwise I would have posted that here. For us they are interrelated practices and Amaroli is not the same as Shivambu Kalpa.

Of course my knowledge is based on what I have been taught and I do believe on that. At the same time I am open to you having entirely different terminology. Only thing is that your terminology struck me heavily at first reading :-)

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000