AYPsite.org Forum
 Other Systems and Alternate Approaches
 An evening with Buddhist monks
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2014 :  10:25:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Last night I drove to Orlando, Florida to meet a Vietnamese Buddhist monk who had invited me to a temple there. He was visiting from Dallas, Texas.

At the temple, there was a small festival. Food stands were set up, and live music was playing. The atmosphere was full of family-oriented, community-united vibrations. High resonance. I immediately felt the outpouring of divine love circulating through the air. The monk greeted me with a hug, and he had a young American novice at his side, who was equally congenial.

We walked to one of the food stands, and he gave hearty instructions to one of the tiny Vietnamese women. Then we sat at a long picnic table, where there were other Vietnamese families eating. Everyone bowed to the monk with their hands in prayer position (), and we were showered with respectful attention. Lots of cheer. In a matter of a few minutes, the little woman rushed to our table with an assortment of fresh food, all of which was superb.

The monk spoke broken English, so I mainly spoke to his American novice--in between my spontaneous bouts of laughter. I was just laughing and smiling because of the energy flow, and the monk was doing the same--just laughing with no reservation. Very light and jubilant. Throughout the course of the meal, different people came by to say hello, and the little woman kept bringing new food, and that increased my laughter, because the portions were generous and I couldn't eat it all.

The American novice had been training with the monk for 3 years and had even stayed in Vietnam with the monk's family. He said there are no locks on the doors in that town, and practically no shut doors. Friends and neighbors come and go without the rigid, pre-arranged niceties of most urbanites. Also, the families often live in the same building where their business or service is located. The bottom floor might be the restaurant, and the top floor is their dwelling. The culture is more interconnected and fluid--at least on a physical level. (We Americans tend to hide behind computers and smartphones, and communicate across long distances.)

Anyway, after dinner, we walked to the main house to have tea, and yet another table had been set up for us, with a complete meal, which triggered more laughing and a friendly declining of the abundance of gifts. It was much quieter in the house, so we started diving deeper into discussion about our meditation practices and spiritual principles. The monk asked me if I was attached to money or possessions, and I said: "No way. I don't care much about those things." And then he asked: "And how about women?" I busted out laughing and said: "Now that's a different story."

I asked him about tantra sexual practices, and he said that they could help in the beginning, but that they wouldn't take me to the highest level. He said it was just like a band-aid on the wound of suffering, but not a permanent cure to the disease. He made the metaphor of a surgeon that applies anesthesia to the area of incision. It can ease the pain, but it won't fully liberate someone, except in rare cases, and only when needed. He said that I could have a healthy relationship with a wife, but it must be based on more than friendship. It would have to be about giving up personal attachment for the sake of the family, and the wife would be more like a business partner.

But he said he believed my true nature was to be a free spirit, and that I would do well as a monk. He said he was completely free, and could go wherever he wanted. I told him I was pretty sure I was a monk in a past life. I asked the young novice if he thought he had been one. The young novice said: "I don't think, I know." He remembered his past life as a monk, and he was merely finishing the job and following through with this momentum towards liberation. Neither of them tried to persuade me, per se, they were just offering insights and experience. The monk said I could come to his monastery anytime for a personal retreat and do my own practices..."Your way," he said. "You don't have to follow our way." I thanked him for his gracious generosity, wisdom, and company, and he gave me a gift of mala beads before I left. The beads have little bodhisattvas and Vietnamese characters inscribed on them.

Needless to say, this evening got me thinking about my path, celibacy, attachment, and the different shades and colors spirituality can take. Just wanted to share. Any thoughts or similar experiences gladly welcome.

jeff

USA
971 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2014 :  11:11:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Very beautiful and thought provoking. Thank you for sharing.

Edited by - jeff on Jan 12 2014 11:11:30 AM
Go to Top of Page

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2014 :  12:03:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you
Go to Top of Page

Indigo

USA
54 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2014 :  4:12:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
What a wonderful experience. Especially how everyone was so open, and friendly.
I like how the monks were caring and took an interest in your life.

Are they Theravada Buddhists or Mahayana? Thank you for sharing this experience!
Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2014 :  6:41:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
They were Theravada...wearing orange robes.
Go to Top of Page

nandhi

USA
362 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2014 :  8:15:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit nandhi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
thank you for sharing this beautiful heart warming experience.

its inspiring to see how consciousness is slowly but surely reaching everyone. in time, the wisdom of the monks will surely be ingrained as ours in the 'flow'.

gratitude. aum
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2014 :  04:14:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice
Go to Top of Page

mr_anderson

USA
734 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2014 :  10:07:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit mr_anderson's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Lovely! Thanks for sharing.
Go to Top of Page

Zlarp

Switzerland
46 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2014 :  10:18:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hahahahahahahhhaha!
Go to Top of Page

pkj

USA
158 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2014 :  3:39:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice reading . Thanks for sharing.
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2014 :  02:47:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Dear BT
I really loved your post....yet i feel that this monk believes that being a monk is superior
my 2 cents
Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2014 :  09:43:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by maheswari

Dear BT
I really loved your post....yet i feel that this monk believes that being a monk is superior
my 2 cents

It's funny, I didn't directly say that in my post, but I also sensed that from him. Ultimately, after some deep reflection, I'm pretty committed to the path of the yogi, which is being in the world, but not of it. A monk is, in some sense, removed from the burdens of the world, as the monk emphasized. He was almost trying to recruit me with that promise of being free of worldly attachments.

But I feel like I can have a job, a family, secular duties, etc., and still reach high levels, so long as I'm incorporating practice and daily immersion in boundless consciousness.

Thanks for that insight, maheswari.
Go to Top of Page

jonesboy

USA
594 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2014 :  11:42:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit jonesboy's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting,

It seemed to me that they felt they knew a secret. Like we feel we know a secret compared to those who don't practice. My take is they wanted you to join them but in your own time and way. I felt they were honoring you.

Of course I wasn't there so it is interesting to see the different projections from the very beautiful experience.

Thank you for sharing Bodhi Tree
Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2014 :  1:00:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by jonesboy

It seemed to me that they felt they knew a secret. Like we feel we know a secret compared to those who don't practice. My take is they wanted you to join them but in your own time and way. I felt they were honoring you.

Yes, exactly. I felt fortunate to be there, but there was an angle. I think there will always be an angle. Some angles are more benevolent than others. Their's is a very benevolent one.

Parahamansa Yogananda talked about "sacred selfishness", in which even the most saintly, holy acts are done for the benefit of the Self, which is very far-reaching and encompasses many.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000