Other Systems and Alternate Approaches
 Karma & Baptism
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1553 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2013 :  05:54:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I went to a christening last Saturday in the catholic church and the priest translated the act of baptism as erasing of the original sin. I take that to mean purification of karma of previous life-times. State of purity. Ground zero. He then went on to add that does not mean the person will never sin again - sinning is most likely to happen but that at the moment of baptism, the slate is wiped clean.

Is that possible? Can we somehow wipe the karmic slate (original sin) clean with an act of faith or something?

Another thought: Is it possible to take on and work out someone else's karma? like - say a close relative killed someone and you ask (the Universe /God)that this act be credited to your account. Am I being an idiot?

Sey

Sparkle

Ireland
1457 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2013 :  07:28:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit Sparkle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
HI Sey

I don't know if it is possible but I know many people who attend church only for Baptisms, Weddings, Funerals and maybe on Christmas day and Easter and that is the extent of their practice.
That's not a judgement on them as people, many are what I would consider to be kind people but for some,these religious rituals are an essential part of being with the status quo, and many regard them as kind of little attachments to a person to make their life easier within the framework of mindsets prevalent in the area.
Less stigmatism in the cities and more in the country areas.

But all the above is probably a reflection on how religion is practiced around the world in general, I would guess. What the potential for Baptism is when undertaken in a genuine and serious way is another matter.

Go to Top of Page

kami

USA
920 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2013 :  08:03:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Sey,

My interpretation of the original sin is identification as the separate self - this is what causes birth and death according to accumulated vasanas/karma. "Sin" encompasses every act performed with thinking of oneself (the separate ego self) to be the doer. In this, I agree with the Catholic axiom that we are all sinners - as long as there is doership arising from ego identification.

Now, does Baptism erase karma? That points to another question - will baptizing someone take away their ego identification? Maybe for the rare one that is ready (from previous sadhana) to shed such separateness. In all traditions, there are rituals like these.. They are meant to align us with Divine Grace so we may see through the veils of separation. Grace is ever present; the real question is whether one is ready to open to it. We can go through every ritual in the book and still be sinners, tightly bound as so-and-so. The problem with religious rituals is of the potential to create more divisiveness and further strengthening of the ego-identification, for example, "I am baptized/reborn/whatever. The rest of you are going to hell.."

There are rare gurus that can take some of others' karma, or so it is said. To take on another's karma, even in theory, requires one to be crystal clear in the knowledge and abidance in Oneness. In that abidance, the laws of karma no longer apply.

Go to Top of Page

JosephUK

United Kingdom
212 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2013 :  6:52:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
This is a very interesting question.

from my experience a true Yogi can chose to focus from oneness on a particular perso and thus purify their karmas as has happened to me.

also i think karmic law is so complex that i cannot properly explain as i just dont know. However when i took refuge in the buddha dharma sangha it had a profoundly purifying effect.

original sin is a different thing entirely and i dont understand it. its almost like a cascading effect related to becoming co creators i.e. the gift of birth and the very act of creation itself ie the notion that the almight and true God which reigns supreme speaks a name we all here and thus we become true, but in becoming true the dichotomy of our true nature and our ability to create (free will) causes a lack of harmony with God, our God selves and thus the cascading effect of creation, the big bang expands and the sentient mind of the universe becomes so.

this may sound odd but this is my interpretation of original sin

joe
Go to Top of Page

Experientialknowing

USA
263 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2013 :  7:00:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
A little rough on the details but you said it pretty well, not odd at all. This is how I see it.

The tree of knowledge = taking astral form from casual form, Chakra system pranic body.

Eating forbidden fruit = mixing awareness being within the chakras and experiencing via the alterations of each Psycho emotional energy vortex.

Eating from the tree of knowledge = the act of entering into a dimension of duality gaining an ego and a mind to go with it.

From the animal act of sex a fetus is gestated in the woman the first to become so lowly named Adam and Eve.

From desire for experience of condensed forms of vibration in all it's fullness in the astral form, being is drawn to animal fetus enters through crown plummets to take root with condensed static pranic charge of progenators in muladhara.

Fetus develops exits females body and begins animal life as a human. Human Animal is full of desires to avoid pain and seek pleasure from this human animal trespasses on his brethren in myriiad ways attempting to satify these two conditions in all that it does little realizing there will never be satisfaction by doing so this causes conflict, war, and everything that one should not do.

Thus original sin from the first to all today living in animal bodies continues, as long as one is bound by ignorance to satisfy desires of the chakras and animal form.

Over time and many births this sad creature that is no longer just animal starts to wise up.

Baptism is entry into spiritual life even as the fire ceremony of yogic initiation is.

This initiation of baptisim is to give the person a system to work within to aid in liberation or at the very least to learn control the demonic qualities of sense gratification the senses are the Gods of man so by control one becomes Godly versus ungodly and they do less harm to the community of humans, sadly this does not always work but that is another story.

Spiritual life no matter the sadhana undertaken is the process of returning. The point of all of this I am certain has to do with the experiences of living gained, what they are for though eludes this mind, perhaps it is so the being will be not only whole as it always is but mature from experience of having traverssed the creation first hand.

The constant

quote:
Originally posted by JosephUK

This is a very interesting question.

from my experience a true Yogi can chose to focus from oneness on a particular perso and thus purify their karmas as has happened to me.

also i think karmic law is so complex that i cannot properly explain as i just dont know. However when i took refuge in the buddha dharma sangha it had a profoundly purifying effect.

original sin is a different thing entirely and i dont understand it. its almost like a cascading effect related to becoming co creators i.e. the gift of birth and the very act of creation itself ie the notion that the almight and true God which reigns supreme speaks a name we all here and thus we become true, but in becoming true the dichotomy of our true nature and our ability to create (free will) causes a lack of harmony with God, our God selves and thus the cascading effect of creation, the big bang expands and the sentient mind of the universe becomes so.

this may sound odd but this is my interpretation of original sin

joe

Go to Top of Page

JosephUK

United Kingdom
212 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2013 :  1:37:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
yeh, i guess thats closer to how i truly understand it.

i am not enlightened (a paradoxical phrase i know) and yet deeply i know it.

thanks experiential knowing

Joe
Go to Top of Page

nandhi

USA
362 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2014 :  10:54:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit nandhi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
aum

divine brother sey and all the other amazing divine beings here- grateful for this post as each of your wisdom add to the light- sparkle, kami, joseph, ek!

yes, baptism is a powerful concept. it is the surrender of the past to the 'guru' and come into the now as spirit, devoid of the past- the body, its karma and its ignorance. the 'guru' traditionally (as in yoga tradition and as in christianity) is able to dissolve the ignorance of our past to reveal to ourselves the mirror of pristine wisdom- by absorbing our sin/past/karma.

every day, when we have a cold shower (or a warm shower but cold water works best), it can be used as a daily baptism for us to fine tune into the now. this cold shower could be the mother ganga in our own home.

the grace of baptism as in surrender of ourselves to the 'guru' works when we understand the thread of grace. this grace is the guru concept- be it christ or be it source in any name.

it is a daily journey, if not each breath's journey to be 'born again' as in realization of whom we truly are.

aum

Go to Top of Page

nandhi

USA
362 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2014 :  11:41:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit nandhi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
aum
"Another thought: Is it possible to take on and work out someone else's karma? like - say a close relative killed someone and you ask (the Universe /God)that this act be credited to your account. Am I being an idiot? "

divine sey- its interesting to see the workings of hono opono. it addresses your thoughts-
a story-
http://rosariomontenegro.hubpages.c...-Hooponopono

Edited by - nandhi on Jan 12 2014 11:47:27 PM
Go to Top of Page

Ayiram

88 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2014 :  04:07:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ayiram's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by nandhi

its interesting to see the workings of hono opono.
http://rosariomontenegro.hubpages.c...-Hooponopono

thank you so very much for this inspiring article, dear Nandhi!

i believe it to be very much true and i´ll definitely give it a try!

Go to Top of Page

nandhi

USA
362 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2014 :  8:28:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit nandhi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
aum

divine ayaram, gratitude!

living in southern california, nandhi has the luxury to be able to have a cold shower, the daily baptism. imagine if it was canada

the most important aspect of the inner journey through our yogic practice is grace. this grace is in the surrender to be. in this grace is the now that as treasure of each moment awakens through our daily discipline. the sum total of all our spiritual journeys of the past is in the now.

as one, born of each moment as the eternal wisdom in the now- the grace of baptism.

aum

Edited by - nandhi on Jan 13 2014 8:30:05 PM
Go to Top of Page

Sparkle

Ireland
1457 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2014 :  9:46:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit Sparkle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Nandhi

Very interesting the way you linked Hoponopono with Baptism.
Interesting that the first premise of Hoponopono is to take responsibility for everything, not only your own stuff, as ultimately it is all our projection anyway. I love how radical this is.

For those interested there is more information here
http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....=Hooponopono

Go to Top of Page

nandhi

USA
362 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2014 :  1:39:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit nandhi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
aum

gratitude divine sparkle!

we utilize each tool of consciousness effectively efficiently. efficiency is condensation of time.

when we utilize mantra resonance to focus the feelings of each layer of the mind, for instance- i am sorry- we multiply the effectiveness of this emotion as to evolve from within and universally.

the unfolding of consciousness as in 'i love you' 'thank you/gratitude' as in the higher layers is to be absorbed.

the infinite wisdom within all this is the guru. baptism through our surrender.

to be one. as one.

aum

Go to Top of Page

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1553 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2014 :  01:48:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Very interesting. I will start this practice.

Go to Top of Page

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1553 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2014 :  01:56:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hmm.. I just tried it on illnesses. I seem to instinctively want to ask the Divine in the person for forgiveness rather than the Divine in me... Same thing I guess.

Sey
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000