Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Forum FAQ | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 AYPsite.org Forum
 Asanas - Postures and Physical Culture
 Uddiyana bandha - energy rising up while holding?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

cartman

United Kingdom
2 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2014 :  5:04:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi,

I've been following the lessons and can feel my energy moving easily (I've been doing yoga for 10+ years).

I've never really got the hang of uddiyana bandha though despite it occasionally occuring spontaneously. With mulabandha I feel energy rising when I engage it. But with uddiyana bandha I don't feel energy rising anywhere (even from mulabandha when I apply them both together). Perhaps I'm targetting it wrong. However, after I've finished it and I release it, then I do feel a lot of energy at my navel. Alternatively, if I inhale a small sip of air after applying uddiyana bandha, it seems to open everything up inside and I do feel energy rising from mulahadhara up through the navel and higher into my body.

As I understand it, in uddiyana bandha the navel should come close to the spine to stimulate manipura. The external breath retention with sucking the diaphragm up is to help draw the navel to the spine. The fact that uddiyana means "flying up" refers to energy, not the movement of the navel. Is that correct?

Also, should I expect to feel energy being drawn up from mulabandha through the navel while I've got uddiyana bandha engaged? If so is taking a small sip of air OK if that's what I need to do (I've not read anywhere that I should take a small sip...)? Or am I doing it correctly by only experiencing energy when I subsequently release the lock (that would seem to make jalandhara & maha mudra pretty pointless...)? I'm just trying to work out whether I'm doing it correctly already or whether I need to spend more time tweaking it.

Thanks
Carl

AumNaturel

Canada
687 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2014 :  9:26:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome Cartman,

external kumbhaka is done only gently and sparingly from an AYP point of view because of the negative impact in can have on lungs. I've found this quite true when I was experimenting on my own back when I was just starting out. Yes, flying up points to the energy and effect it has, not the movement which apparently become more subtle and integrated. Whether the energy should rise up through navel or not, I can't answer as I don't really feel it, but it's advised to focus on the practices and not so much what the energy is or is not doing because they will have the desirable effects anyways so that the energy will flow as it should. Taking small sip, if you know what you're doing, or are advised by a method sounds fine, though it isn't in the lessons here. If you follow with something, or with the lessons, I don't think there needs to be a concern about the mudras and bandhas being done incorrectly. Jalandhara as static form is part of maha mudra, and they add to the effect of all other practices, so there's no redundancy. I'll leave it up to more advanced practitioners if there's anything else to add or clarify further for you.
Go to Top of Page

cartman

United Kingdom
2 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2014 :  9:56:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for your reply AumNaturel. It seems I can answer my own question after my last practice session.

Yes, energy should rise up while applying uddiyana bandha. It turns out that the way I was standing was interfering with my root lock. I've found the right way to relax into it now. I also had more success with a more subtle version of uddiyana bandha that is more like Taoist reverse breathing (basically just pulling in the abdomen on inhalation). It would seem that the rising energy is then channelled into the third eye area by jalandhara bandha & shambhavi.

Whoa, I'm buzzing now :-)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000