Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Forum FAQ | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 AYPsite.org Forum
 Asanas - Postures and Physical Culture
 Practicing Asanas, Getting Stuck Burps? Help!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

alexagk

USA
1 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2014 :  8:37:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit alexagk's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hello all,
Very grateful for all the wisdom in this forum. I'm a longtime athlete and dancer, recently developing a regular yoga practice (a daily practice for 10 months now), studying with a variety of teachers and styles. I recently began an ashtanga teacher training as yoga is close to my heart and I would like to share it with others. The problem is, I often have an issue with burps during class. the problem isn't that [font=Tahoma][font=Courier New]I'm burping too much; the problem is that the air forms and there's a lot of pressure in my chest/throat, but I'm unable to push out the burp unless I move out of the asana. I have tried not eating or drinking close to class (as much as 3 hours prior to class), but this has not helped. I sip liquids slowly, and I eat consciously and slowly. My nutritionist/herbalist has suggested it may be a hiatal hernia, but I am doubtful as the problems don't seem to arise from eating very often-- I don't match the symptoms of someone with GERD/heartburn. It's just this problem with burps not being able to come up during yoga practice. Has anyone had a similar issue? Have some insight? It makes it very difficult to talk while teaching, and also means I have to come out of postures. Many thanks! -Alexa

dave

USA
15 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2014 :  07:56:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
There's a lot of compression postures and inversions in ashtanga so if you have some gas your going to feel it. I burp occasionally after coming out of Marichyasana D.

The first thing that comes to mind is that you might be pushing too hard into the asanas and having a lot of tension in your body. I would try having a softer practice with a focus on more relaxed breathing.

If your nutritionist/herbalist suggested you might have hiatal hernia I would certainly get it checked out to just to make sure that's not the problem.

My teacher last monthly topic was Bhujapidasana, which is supposed to be a good asana for the hiatal hernia. She posted an article here http://www.befityoga.com/wp-content....13-pdf.pdf. There's a breathing exercise and some other information on how to treat it holistically.

Hope this helps.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000