Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Asymmetrical meditation duration ?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

dofa66

France
46 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2013 :  1:06:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi people !
While it's easy to me to spend 20' in DM each morning, it is often more difficult to find the same time slot in the evening. Therefore I am wandering which of these scenarios would give the best results on the long run :
a) 20' in the morning and 10'in the evening (or sometimes more if possible)
b) 15' twice a day

Love to you all The guru is in us !

jonesboy

USA
594 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2013 :  1:24:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit jonesboy's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi dofa66!

Have you added Spinal Breathing to your practice? If not and you have time 5 min. of sp and 15 of DM works really well. Or 5 sp and 10 dm.

Now as to your question. If all you are going to do is DM then 20 in the mornings and your choice of "b" means you can do 15 in the evening. There is no best answer. Do what you can with the time you have. As long as you are doing it twice a day you should continue to advance so to speak in your practice.

I hope that helps. Good luck!
Go to Top of Page

dofa66

France
46 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2013 :  03:13:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thx jonesboy.

I realize that my options "a" an "b" maybe are not consistent... In fact my point is to know whether it is better to reduce dm time in order to make sure it is the same twice a day, everyday; or if I should go as far as I can in each session (20' being the limit), even if it would be asymmetrical most of the time.

I have not started sp yet as I have been practicing dm for 2.5 months only. I understand from your post that 5' sp + 15' dm might be better than 20' dm ?
Go to Top of Page

jonesboy

USA
594 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2013 :  4:57:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit jonesboy's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
lol I am a little slow sometimes... sorry.

The most important thing is that you do it twice a day. It really doesn't matter if one session is longer than the other. Over the long term things always seem to work out.

If you feel comfortable I would add SP to your practice. SP seems to supercharge DM. So 5 SP and 15 DM or if your are trying to very careful 5 SP and 10 DM would be good.
Go to Top of Page

dofa66

France
46 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2013 :  01:55:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you again jonesboy for your answer. Don't be upset with the next question please : is your advice based on experience, or is it just a feeling ? (I mean the one about asymmetrical durations)

Edited by - dofa66 on Dec 31 2013 02:22:08 AM
Go to Top of Page

jonesboy

USA
594 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2013 :  09:46:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit jonesboy's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
No worries dofa66!

That is from experience. It is what I would do when I would add something new to my routine. For instance. When I was doing 5 sp and 10 dm and wanted to increase my time of dm I would add it at night. So in the morning 5 sp 10 dm and in the evening 5 sp and 15 dm. After a period of adjustment and knowing that it would not create an overload then I would adjust my morning time to 5 sp and 15 dm.

Don't get caught up in the mind. In all of it's worries about having to have every session be just right. It is the consistent twice a day practice that will pay off in the long run. Yogani says that even if you only have time for 5 mins, that is enough and that has been my experience as well.
Go to Top of Page

dofa66

France
46 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2013 :  10:18:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Wow ! Great ! I am very interested in your experience. May I bother you with addiitonal questions then ?

Did you try 20 dm first and then reduced it down to 10 due to overload ? I've been doing 20 dm almost everytime for 2.5 months with no apparent overload so far, and noticed only that I am now almost never angry, irrited nor excited, but I am still waiting for the rise of the "witness"... (well I know 2.5 months is quite short !)

Also did you add sp as soon as I am in the process ? Did it bring really something new ?
Go to Top of Page

jonesboy

USA
594 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2013 :  11:14:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit jonesboy's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I thought I was taking things pretty slow but when I look back I was rushing ahead way to fast and got spanked for it with a major overload that lasted a week. It sounds like you are doing things right and that you are ready to add SP.

Now we are all different in how we experience things. SP WILL bring something new. I had a lot of really cool scenery when I first started it. Most of my scenery experiences has been while doing SP. I have also found that over time I have become more sensitive to the practices and it takes longer for me to advance on the energy side of things. When I took a 2 month break from AYP to do the Presence Process and then came back to AYP. I started at 5 sp and 10 dm. SP is a very deceptive, powerful practice. It will add a lot so go slow. Only you will know what is right for you with regard to the amount of time. Give it a try, don't over do it and enjoy the journey :)
Go to Top of Page

dofa66

France
46 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2013 :  11:27:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks a lot for all these details. My last one : what is a "major overload" as you mention it ? What are the symptoms ?
Go to Top of Page

jonesboy

USA
594 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2013 :  12:44:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit jonesboy's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Ask away that is what the forums are for :)

For me it is major anxiety. I become over sensitive to emotional situations which can cause me to have a emotional outburst that is not in porportion to the situation. It is a feeling that does not go away, or thought that I can't get rid off.

Being spaced out so to speak. I remember sitting in a meeting at work having no clue what was going on. A good sign that I needed to cut back on my practice.

As you advance overloading or doing to much to soon can provide other symptoms also. I just tried to increase my time of SP and got what could be discribed as a sunburn. I still feel it a week later. Everyone is a little different. I am sure you will experience it. Our bhakti wants us to do more and more but Yogani has taught us to self pace. Most of the time an overload lasts for a day. We skip a practice or cut back down on our time to let the energy settle back down. Most of the time it is manageable and helps guide us by letting us know when we are ready or not for the next addition to our practice.

Now I mentioned anxiety. Sometimes anxiety is just telling us to rest longer after our session. It is a little thing of something not being right. You will know the difference.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000