Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 mantra I AM vs AUM - I am switching back to AUM
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

iamseeker

USA
8 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2013 :  1:30:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit iamseeker's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I am sure it did come up somewhere before but I cannot find this topic with search... neither could I find it in my AYP book index...
I am not bringing this comparison to speculate but to get advice.
I was initiated into a number of Yoga and Buddhist practices in the past. Two of those included AUM mantra... my body feels comfortable with it... and since I AM sounds somewhat similar to AUM, my mind gradually falls back to accustomed AUM during meditation. I wonder - is there a problem? After all this switch into AUM happens naturally in my mind and goes on with similar vibrations which is the very purpose of mantra (not the meaning)...not much difference between them and I feel easy...
The only confusion is this pending thought: is this switch good or bad for my practice?
Sincerely
Vlad

tonightsthenight

846 Posts

Posted - Dec 26 2013 :  7:46:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by iamseeker

I am sure it did come up somewhere before but I cannot find this topic with search... neither could I find it in my AYP book index...
I am not bringing this comparison to speculate but to get advice.
I was initiated into a number of Yoga and Buddhist practices in the past. Two of those included AUM mantra... my body feels comfortable with it... and since I AM sounds somewhat similar to AUM, my mind gradually falls back to accustomed AUM during meditation. I wonder - is there a problem? After all this switch into AUM happens naturally in my mind and goes on with similar vibrations which is the very purpose of mantra (not the meaning)...not much difference between them and I feel easy...
The only confusion is this pending thought: is this switch good or bad for my practice?
Sincerely
Vlad

That's a personal choice and nothing to do with good and bad. If you feel confident that aum won't be causing any problems than I don't see why you shouldn't switch back. The whole reason to use ayam over aum is because of the latter's greater power and scope over the former.

Over here, Om or aum is like ringing a bell thru the entire spinal network, and I use it as part of the mantra enhancement. But took a long time to work up to being comfortable with that. Ayam is very gentle, even more than breath meditation in my estimation.

So if you feel ok with aum, than go with it. As stated, its a much more powerful mantra and can be dangerous. Greater results, greater risk.
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4429 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2013 :  06:00:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi IamSeaker,

If you follow the mantra enhancements through in AYP, the second enhancement will take you to "Sri Om Sri Om Ayam Ayam Namah". So you end up using both Aum and Ayam in the same manta. By following this method you get the benefits of both mantras at the same time.

The progression process takes time though and should not be rushed so if you want to follow this course it is best to follow the main lessons through, adding the enhancements as suggested in the right order.

Lessons 116 and 186 cover the first 2 mantra enhancements.

Lesson 188
gives a detailed overview of how different mantras work in the body.

Christi
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.07 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000