New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

whippoorwill

USA
450 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2014 :  10:26:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Bewell!

The improved posture sneaked up on me. I attribute the change mostly to doing the Presence Process. Before doing the Presence Process, I was aware that my breathing was dysfunctional -- especially while working -- but I wasn't able to change it.

For the presence process, you sit and breathe deeply with a little throat constriction on the inhalation and exhalation and with no pauses between the inhalation and exhalation. You can't do it hunched over. I would do it before work, while I was still in my PJs, and I would have no trouble tilting the pelvis forward, keeping the shoulders back and down, allowing the ribcage and belly to expand -- all the things you need to do to get a really good breath. Then I'd get dressed for work, get into things, and then realize my breathing was dysfunctional again. For a long time, I thought the breathing dysfunction was related to the kind of work I do -- all analysis all the time. It took several painful weeks for me to realize I was shrinking in on myself to fit into my clothes -- that the breathing dysfunction was related to my inability to straighten the spine and expand the ribcage.

Then I had to admit that my body isn't what my vanity wants it to be.

Happy new year!

P.S. So it was really two related dysfunctions that corrected: breathing and posture. The dysfunctions where held in place (probably for decades) by an egoic desire to be "thin." Thin is beautiful - right?

In the Presence Process, whenever you notice something is off, you're supposed to return to the breathing technique. So I'd return to the breathing throughout the work day, trying to achieve the same openness that I experienced in the morning. It took weeks of sore muscles and popped buttons to get through to me that my clothes were too small. That's quite the egoic block!

Edited by - whippoorwill on Jan 08 2014 11:27:46 AM
Go to Top of Page

adishivayogi

USA
197 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2014 :  12:16:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
a year of penance, i feel like thats all this life will be
Go to Top of Page

kami

USA
920 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2014 :  05:49:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by whippoorwill

Hi Bewell!

The improved posture sneaked up on me. I attribute the change mostly to doing the Presence Process. Before doing the Presence Process, I was aware that my breathing was dysfunctional -- especially while working -- but I wasn't able to change it.

For the presence process, you sit and breathe deeply with a little throat constriction on the inhalation and exhalation and with no pauses between the inhalation and exhalation. You can't do it hunched over. I would do it before work, while I was still in my PJs, and I would have no trouble tilting the pelvis forward, keeping the shoulders back and down, allowing the ribcage and belly to expand -- all the things you need to do to get a really good breath. Then I'd get dressed for work, get into things, and then realize my breathing was dysfunctional again. For a long time, I thought the breathing dysfunction was related to the kind of work I do -- all analysis all the time. It took several painful weeks for me to realize I was shrinking in on myself to fit into my clothes -- that the breathing dysfunction was related to my inability to straighten the spine and expand the ribcage.

Then I had to admit that my body isn't what my vanity wants it to be.

Happy new year!

P.S. So it was really two related dysfunctions that corrected: breathing and posture. The dysfunctions where held in place (probably for decades) by an egoic desire to be "thin." Thin is beautiful - right?

In the Presence Process, whenever you notice something is off, you're supposed to return to the breathing technique. So I'd return to the breathing throughout the work day, trying to achieve the same openness that I experienced in the morning. It took weeks of sore muscles and popped buttons to get through to me that my clothes were too small. That's quite the egoic block!

Adore the honesty and innocence Liz.

Funny, I've noticed errors in my posture lately too. And unlike your learning with the PP, for me, it is with asanas and a new series of vinyasas I have been practicing. Throughout the day, I notice that my shoulders can tend to slump particularly while doing concentrated sitting work... The most important lesson has been that there is no demarcation between the mind and body. Recently, I've noticed a deep connection between emotional well-being and chronic pain I've carried in my legs the last two years. Researching it, I found that most people tend to hold emotional hurts in the hips and the deep muscles around it, such as the iliopsoas. Makes sense your hip pain went away with a big release!

Hope you have a wonderful 2014, and to meet you again this year.

Love and hugs.
Go to Top of Page

kami

USA
920 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2014 :  05:50:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Gabe Miller

a year of penance, i feel like thats all this life will be

Hope it is also light and joyful and filled with laughter.

Go to Top of Page

bewell

1275 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2014 :  6:01:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by whippoorwill

Hi Whipoorwill,

I'm glad you shared that! It sounds similar to what I'm doing lately to facilitate "whole body mudra" (which is spontaneous, not a clinchig) in daily life.

Namaste

PS. To whom it may concern: I'll be away from internet for the coming 30 days (perhaps with exceptions, but away mostly). I'll be on an solitary retreat. It will include daily AYP practices.

Edited by - bewell on Jan 15 2014 6:03:39 PM
Go to Top of Page

whippoorwill

USA
450 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2014 :  8:39:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Good luck with your retreat, Bewell!

Hi Kami! Hope to see you again this year as well!
Go to Top of Page

AumNaturel

Canada
687 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2014 :  11:37:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
It wasn't long ago I mentioned stability with so many practices that I had to, for various circumstances, put a pause on everything, bow to life's lessons, allow myself to be vulnerable and accountable. It is still much too early to say anything to any degree of certainty, and neither is this a suitable forum topic other than to redress my prior comments despite everything appearing to proceed smoothly on the surface and still having an insatiable urge to ramp up practices even higher. Cutting back, pressing forward, customizing, and listening to the inner guru and unique matricies of obstructions are all part of AYP. Evidently it also includes coming upon blind spots in oneself, and effects or amplifications of inner struggles that have both desirable and undesirable characteristics that can overlap or merge imperceptibly, at least until they run their course.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000