New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

kami

USA
920 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2014 :  10:14:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Omsat and TTN,

Omsat, yes, it is like you elaborate on - intent is important; however, in the absence of inner silence, even intents can be misconstrued to be what they are not. This is why left-handed tantra is tricky. We as humans crave pleasure, equating it often with "goodness". Discrimination that arises from inner silence can provide the seeing of what the difference is. Inner silence also provides the ability to be brutally honest with oneself..

Interesting discussion on Brahmacharya. While the most commonly understood definition relates to celibacy or cultivation of sexual energy, traditionally that is not the case. Brahmacharya is also an ashrama or stage of life. It also relates to moderation in everything, with redirection of energies toward self-realization. Ultimately it evolves from self-control to sublimation in all areas of life. While for some it may relate to sexual energies, for many it applies to where attention rests (unnecessary conversations/discussions, nonserving sangha/circle, nonserving habits and tendencies, etc).

Constant redirection of it all and surrendering to the higher purpose is the path of tantra, not just celibacy or sexual energy cultivation.

Go to Top of Page

tonightsthenight

846 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2014 :  11:00:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Omsat

Hi tonightsthenight,

quote:
Originally posted by tonightsthenight

Thank you, Omsat. Very good reading of the codes as they apply here.

I do have one minor quibble. I'd like to point out that bramhacharya can be practiced without the need to withhold physical orgasm. I know this is the common definition, but some practitioners don't require preservation in order to experience ecstatic absorption. Therefore there must be a deeper level to bramhacharya.

My two cents is that the term is better understood as chasity, a sexual purity.

Chastity does not mean abstinent, although that is a popular understanding.

Thank you for this.

quote:
Bramhacharya can be practiced without the need to withhold physical orgasm

I have an idea about what you could mean, eg. if distinction is made between explosive and implosive orgasm. Is that what you meant indeed?

quote:
Some practitioners don't require preservation in order to experience ecstatic absorption. Therefore there must be a deeper level to bramhacharya.

Is the presence of ecstatic absorption sufficient to uphold brahmacharya is maintained?

Could you clarify/elaborate on your understanding of brahmacharya/chastity? Or refer to a source that goes into this perhaps?

I can only speak from my own experience.

Its not necessary for me to withhold physical orgasm in order to reach daily absorption both in and out of sitting practices. In fact, withholding would make the process more erratic and unstable due to excess vitality.

Sex with physical orgasm really gets things revved up for days here, so in my case bramhacarya means a purity in when, how, why and with whom I have sex.

I have never practiced withholding so I can only speculate on the consequences here. As it is, I'll send orgasms up the sushumna for an hour or so and then eventually have a physical orgasm. This is not something I have ever practiced, it is an automatic practice, like dynamic jalandhara, kumbhaka, mudras, qi gong, etc. Its what my nervous syste!m wants to do.
Go to Top of Page

Omsat

Belgium
267 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2014 :  7:37:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by kami
We as humans crave pleasure, equating it often with "goodness". Discrimination that arises from inner silence can provide the seeing of what the difference is.

Very wise. Thank you, kami. Ever deep.

quote:
Interesting discussion on Brahmacharya. While the most commonly understood definition relates to celibacy or cultivation of sexual energy, traditionally that is not the case. Brahmacharya is also an ashrama or stage of life. It also relates to moderation in everything, with redirection of energies toward self-realization. Ultimately it evolves from self-control to sublimation in all areas of life. While for some it may relate to sexual energies, for many it applies to where attention rests (unnecessary conversations/discussions, nonserving sangha/circle, nonserving habits and tendencies, etc).

Very interesting and meaningful interpretation of Brahmacharya. Thank you for sharing this broader definition of energy conservation and redirection.

Go to Top of Page

Omsat

Belgium
267 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2014 :  7:51:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi tonightsthenight,

quote:
Originally posted by tonightsthenight

I can only speak from my own experience.

Its not necessary for me to withhold physical orgasm in order to reach daily absorption both in and out of sitting practices. In fact, withholding would make the process more erratic and unstable due to excess vitality.

Sex with physical orgasm really gets things revved up for days here, so in my case bramhacarya means a purity in when, how, why and with whom I have sex.

I have never practiced withholding so I can only speculate on the consequences here. As it is, I'll send orgasms up the sushumna for an hour or so and then eventually have a physical orgasm. This is not something I have ever practiced, it is an automatic practice, like dynamic jalandhara, kumbhaka, mudras, qi gong, etc. Its what my nervous system wants to do.

Thank you for sharing your personal experience and practice of Brahmacharya; it's an interesting implementation that probably many could relate to more easily than some of the more austere approaches.

The purity of which you speak of seems to be in line with the AYP guidelines and those of some other schools. As well as with the wise perspective kami offered on Brahmacharya.

Thanks again for sharing on this topic. I have a feeling quite a few readers may benefit from hearing your approach.

Go to Top of Page

Radharani

USA
843 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2014 :  11:20:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit Radharani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Beautiful, Kami! Thank you for posting this. You've inspired me to contribute something from the female perspective as well.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000