Other Systems and Alternate Approaches
 AYP vs Barry Long ?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

dofa66

France
46 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2013 :  12:38:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi everybody ! I'm new here and it's my first topic. I've been thru the main lessons and practicing DM twice a day since 6 weeks, and enjoyed the first results. But in the meantime, I also read 'Meditation - A Foundation Course' from Barry Long, which offers a different way of meditating, a kind of body scan and additional practices in the 'real life' all day long, not only twice a day. Has anybody read and tried it ? I am not sure which path I should follow, as both claim for very good results...
Thx

Mykal K

Germany
267 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2013 :  1:30:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mykal K's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi,
welcome to the forums!
Tried to give you an answer but I realized I had nothing to tell you .
It is because I know there are many paths that are legitimate and claim good results as you say - and I think it is up to you to find yourself in one or a combination of few of them.
Good luck with your dillema!
Go to Top of Page

dofa66

France
46 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2013 :  3:41:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Mykal K for your answer... even if of no great help indeed !
In fact I would be in heaven if Yogani himself (herself ?) would have a statement about Barry's teaching, which sounds very solid too !

Edited by - dofa66 on Nov 30 2013 3:45:38 PM
Go to Top of Page

Will Power

Spain
415 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2013 :  4:28:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi dofa66,

can you describe that type of meditation, and what are the exercises to do during the day?
Go to Top of Page

snake

United Kingdom
277 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2013 :  4:40:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Read the book and heard saw many of his vids tapes etc,my friends also went to his weekend teaching a few years ago.he has a lot of good stuff to say,not overly keen on his practical teachings but I'm sure a lot find it useful but not for me.
Go to Top of Page

dofa66

France
46 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2013 :  04:54:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Will Power. The main differences I see compared with AYP are :
- Meditation sittings based on mind attention to the body (body scan)
- Additional meditation sessions whenever you can during the day and whatever your physical stance(e.g. waiting for the bus,washing dishes, etc...)
- Taking benefit of the witness growth (thanks to meditation on the body) to practice 'self inquiry' during daily life : this to be made thru voluntary attention unlike AYP.
The book is made of 10 lessons, starting with basic meditation sitted sessions, growing thru different additional practices applicable during daily life (all aiming at separating and killing the ego).

Hi Snake. Thanks for your feedback. Are you 'not overly keen on his practical teachings' further to personal trials or is it just a feeling after reading the book & discussing with friends who tried it ?
Go to Top of Page

Will Power

Spain
415 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2013 :  06:36:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the description dofa66.

There was a topic on body scan vs Deep Meditation (DM) but I don't remember now the name of the technique of body scan that was discussed.

AYP Cosmic Samyama is on its first part a type of body scan, which I do after DM while lying down.

Go to Top of Page

snake

United Kingdom
277 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2013 :  08:55:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Dofa,
yes i did try his methods at the time especially as my friends were into Him,not saying they were not good but didn't resonate with what i like to practice which is either breath or mantra type methods,but having said that
he was a no nonsense teacher with some good practices.
wish you the best
chris
Go to Top of Page

snake

United Kingdom
277 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2013 :  08:57:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Oh re the body scan I do like to use the yoga nidra recording by janakanada which i find very refreshing after a hard day,:)
Go to Top of Page

dofa66

France
46 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2013 :  10:05:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you all for your kind answers. As I kept searching thru the forums, I found this (to me) very interesting thread :
http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....OPIC_ID=3454

I believe Barry's method is quite similar to the Vipassana path explained by Christi as quoted below, but starting at step #2 (no breath meditation in Barry's teaching) :

1. breath
2. body
3. mental objects (thoughts and feelings)
4. consciousness

I understand from the discussions in this thread that daily life practices instructed by Barry should in fact come as automatic behaviors generated by the daily AYP DM practice after some time.

So I think I will keep on following AYP process, and see what happens !
Go to Top of Page

snake

United Kingdom
277 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2013 :  10:30:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
to me AYP is like putting a cake in the oven and allowing the heat to bake it quite naturally.
Vipassana i feel is like watching the cake bake:)
enjoy
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000