Other Systems and Alternate Approaches
 AYP spinal breathing
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

snake

United Kingdom
277 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2013 :  02:01:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
id like to ask those of you with experience with Kriya if you've also practised AYP spinal breathing and how it measures up in your estimation to the 1st kriyas you've practised from other teachers and schools.
thanks

Experientialknowing

USA
263 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2013 :  1:53:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi snake re-read the section on Kriya Pranayama in Swami Nityananda's book it gives you a very clear answer as to how the technique works regardless of the name or lineage.

As far as the differences which are minor, it will not make any real sense to anyone unless they try it for themselves. If you sit down and try to make a practice of just this one technique it will not be very effective. weather it is called spinal breathing or Kriya Pranayama proper of initiation 1.

Here is an analogy: If I decide to remove the paint from a piece of metal I can take my scraper and start scrapping right off the bat, not very effective and extremely time consuming with a doubtful end result which in this case the desired outcome is the removal of the paint.

Now if I take that same piece of painted metal and clean it with soap and water then rinse it off then dry it off with a towel and allow it to finish drying in the sun and then apply a paint removing chemical and let that sit and loosen the paint I can walk up to the nicely prepared surface with the paint already loosened and peeling bubbling up and with a few strokes of the scraper remove the paint.

Kriya Pranayama is the scraper. The earlier Kriyas are more than just preparation to be sure but they do this as well.

In Kriya the preliminary Kriya techniques practiced prior to just this one pranayama technique as well as ones that come after it and it makes a big difference in the effectiveness of the pranayama.

If you throw a hand full of seed on the ground something might grow. If I till the land and prepare the soil something will grow.

To make this pranayama effective you must be a farmer. Kriya techniques leading up to this pranayama are the preparation of the soil.

Once you become proficient which you will know by the automatic Khumbaka and the prana moving on it's own then pay very close attention and the Prana will teach you how it is to be done when you are one with the prana. When your mind is silent and receptive the Prana will teach you and you will know.

The reason I write this is because a person might be tempted to ignore the guru within which is this and just keep doing what you think is correct because someone else wrote it or told you rather than obeying your one true inner guru.

A hint the technique will be largely the same but the prana will show you how the modification is correct for you to do.

A person will know this by inner feeling, a person will feel it and when they do it will feel right, a person can test this and ignore it and feel the wrongness of doing so.

To clarify the correct way always leads to a feeling of free flowing openness the wrong way leads to feelings of constriction with resistance.

So here is how to know I am writing the truth sit down on day one and practice Kriya Pranayama just sit and do. When you are done get up and go live your life doing whatever it is you do.

On day two do the same with spinal breathing.

On day 3 practice all the kriyas before and after Kriya pranayama proper.

On day 4 do the same with Spinal breathing. instead of the technique of Kriya Pranayama proper.

Now you know.
Go to Top of Page

Holy

796 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2013 :  2:08:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit Holy's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Snake,

AYP's spinal breathing pranayama is really nice. Yogani has also finetuned it very elegantly with mudras and bandhas and gives VERY nice insights into the practice especially in his book spinal breathing which I recomend also to all who are into kriya pranayama.

But within AYP SBP is followed by DM and is not a standalone practice. The reasons for this can be found in Yogani's life and descovery of practices and causes and effects. Together with DM, the practice of spinal breathing becomes more efficient, as the mental obstructions loosen fastly and the ability to come back to the object of attention increases dramatically through DM, which also helps SBP very much.

AYP is surely a different approach to kriya yoga, it is more top down, which means bliss consiousness first, body-mind transformation gradual afterwards. At least Lahiri's, Hans', Gurunath's kriya have an bottom up approach, means body-mind transformation first, bliss consiousness gradually with the rising capacity of the body-mind to enter it. The only kriya that differs from this is Hariharananda's kriya as taught right now (2013) by Atmavidyananda, Mangalananda etc. That kriya prepares body-mind only and for the sole purpose of opening the crown more and more and more which results in fast entry into pure bliss nondual paradies, the body-mind transformation being somewhere in the middle between AYP and classic kriya.

The question is not which is the best, as all are very good and have their strengths, but what works for you and your lifestyle will determine ultimately what you will practice :P

Start with one and look how it goes. Peace
Go to Top of Page

snake

United Kingdom
277 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2013 :  3:37:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanyou Ex and Holy.
I didn't mean my question to come over as which was best but either way both your answers I found useful and I thank you for them.
I have practiced Kriya as taught by SRF and read what is available in books and on the web and am grateful to hear others take on these.
thanks again

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000