Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Etymology of the word "Ecstasy"
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mr_anderson

USA
734 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2013 :  09:43:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit mr_anderson's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I recently learned that the word "ecstasy" derives from the Greek "Ekstasis" Ek - Stasis meaning "to stand outside oneself".

Just thought I'd share, it's really put an understanding of my on-going experience of ecstatic bliss into context for me. When feeling ecstatic, one forgets to believe oneself to be confined and limited as a separate self, hence Ekstasis/ectsasy is such an excellent word to describe the experience.

Another great factor of the AYP system, ecstatic bliss seems to be massively overlooked in many other traditions and teachings. More "serious" enlightenment teachings often kind of disregard ecstatic bliss as being a kind of diversion (which i guess maybe it could be if you were more into a personal pleasure trip than realizing the Self) but it's been such a crucial component of the path here.

Edited by - mr_anderson on Nov 13 2013 09:52:43 AM

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2013 :  11:37:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting... but I think it's possible to interpret the original meaning of "ekstasis" completely differently than you have mr anderson.

I would agree wholeheartedly that ecstasy is indeed "to stand outside oneself" as that is exactly what ecstatic states do to me... they take me away from myself. To me however, this indicates imbalance and not necessarily a release of the identification with the separate self. To me, ecstatic bliss takes me away from "pure, unlabeled, present moment awareness" into the reverie of sensation... which, if nothing else, is a subtle veil overlaying perception (for me).

Neat how we can view the same thing so completely differently... really goes to show just how unique each path is.

Love,
Carson
Go to Top of Page

mr_anderson

USA
734 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2013 :  12:10:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit mr_anderson's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Carson,

I don't think we differ actually.

Having written and deleted a few paragraphs to explain why, several times, I've decided it's simply too much effort to think through and write down a long-winded conceptual explanation to explain myself.

But basically, I agree with and experience things in the way you describe!

Love,

Josh
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2013 :  12:18:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hahaha... then I guess I could say that it's neat how I can interpret something you write in such a radically different way than how you meant it! Hahaha! "Words are but symbols of symbols, thus twice removed from reality" ACIM (quoted from memory so could be totally misconstrued, misinterpreted or just plain straight up wrong ).

Love,
Carson
Go to Top of Page

mr_anderson

USA
734 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2013 :  1:05:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit mr_anderson's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
lol

nice acim quote, so true!!!!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000