Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 It seems, somehow, familiar
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

SwamiX

USA
35 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2013 :  1:26:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I have been practicing DM every day for the last four and half years. About two years ago I added SB pranayama. The SB has proven to be quite a powerful technique. After a few weeks I start to feel an overload and I self-pace back to DM until things smooth out – then I add SB for a few more weeks, etc. I had a partial kundalini awakening in the 70s while practicing TM, which may explain why I tend to overload fairly quickly.

I first started to notice the sensation of heat in my back about a year ago. For the last six months or so when I meditate (and sitting here at work), waves of heat (mingled with coolness) radiate through my back and chest – and at the edge of this sensation of heat is bliss. In addition, I often settle into a state that is difficult to characterize. It’s not exactly joy, but more like a sense of joy coupled with “reverence”. My online dictionary defines reverence as: “a feeling or attitude of deep respect tinged with awe; veneration”. That’s pretty close to it, I guess.

But more interesting, to my mind, is the sense I have of recognition or remembrance. It’s as if I have experienced this state before and forgotten it. It seems very familiar to me, though I know that I have never practiced this long or progressed this far. It does not have to entail a belief in past lives. Freud, for example, claimed that there was a period in infancy and early childhood when we are with our mother that we experience a sense of oneness and completion, and that, at some fundamental level, we never forget that experience. As I recall, Ken Wilber, in the Atman Project, makes a similar claim when discussing transpersonal states of consciousness.

At any rate, I was wondering if anyone else has this experience of recognition or remembrance?

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1553 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2013 :  02:03:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Dear SwamiX,

Sounds like good things are happening to you. Yeah, I too have this sense of recognition at times... perhaps more a "Knowingness" than recognition but it has certainly lead to me believing in reincarnation. I think we have lived before.

Sey
Go to Top of Page

Anima

484 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2013 :  08:08:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Swami,

Thank you for sharing this

I do not know if its past lives, really. I do know its a recurrence of sorts (the familiarity of joy in the moment). All stories have one thread. Personally, Im rather fond of overloads, but maybe that's just my tragic mindset.

Go to Top of Page

DoctorWho

USA
47 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2013 :  9:11:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi SwamiX,

I've experienced that kind of 'remembrance' too. I find it fascinating as it seems to indicate an almost primal memory of a state of being, now lost or forgotten. It always deepens my bhakti and commitment.

I don't recall the circumstances but I remember one incident as a child (8 or 9 perhaps) I found myself in a state of blissful happiness that I could not fathom. The unexcelled joy that I experienced at that time even then seemed familiar. Even at that age I remember formulating the thought (though somewhat crudely) that no matter whatever else happened for the rest of my days, this moment of supreme joy was worth it all. I hope I am able to find that state again someday.

Be Well

Edited by - DoctorWho on Nov 08 2013 9:12:07 PM
Go to Top of Page

AumNaturel

Canada
687 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2013 :  04:59:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
During childhood or various stages of growing up, some sensations and states of being have stayed in memory, along with a special tag that serves as a little anchor of what it was that made them exceptional, whether in emotional intensity or state of peace and energy. Re-experiencing some of those is like being in a dream where everything is somehow different. With practice, especially meditation, I see more of that pristine state returning. The remembering also effectuates the letting go and just observing or being.

Some people directly remember past lives, down to specific details, and I wonder what impact that may have after the experience in one's world view and approach to living. If they are stored deep in consciousness, doing the practices is effectively working to uncover them. The question of who is it that has lived, is living, and even the notion of time flowing as opposed to past, present, and future already existing while awareness is working with all of it at once and actively choosing the probable outcomes also merit consideration and applied experimentation.

Anima Deorum, are you experiencing overload? Have you tried grounding and cutting back?
Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2013 :  08:59:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
While the firelight's aglow
strange shadows from the flames will grow
'til things we've never seen
seem familiar

Those are some verses from the Grateful Dead tune called "Terrapin Station". I remember when I first heard that song, I was like: "Oh yeah, baby, oh yeah--that's it, that...is...IT!" Ahhh, gotta love the Dead, even though they were buried under a mountian of psychedelia, but!--I digress.

For me, who is you, and for you, who is me, we have lived the whole story together from the beginning, and until the endless end we will be forever connected through varying degrees of separation, like raindrops on spiderwebs, bouncing from one interstitial node to the next.

I remember, oh I remember more and more when I am nestled in the eternal moment of Now, which encompasses all past-present-future time, even though we are confined to an individual story for the time being and keep believing in that story until the tale is told and done.

It's a pretty good deal, I would say, despite the drudgery of sometimes slow-moving evolution. But the timeless, ancient remembrance of Unity shall endure forever.

Thank you, SwamiX!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000