Asanas - Postures and Physical Culture
 Time to be comfortable at siddhasana/padmasana
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Orahmax

India
13 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2013 :  05:19:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
How much time does it take for a beginner to be comfortable with siddhasana. I have been doing pranayama for one year but i did it while sitting in normal cross legged posture.

But now i want to take it further with the sitting asana i.e. either padmasana or siddhasana?

So what shall i choose, siddhasana or padmasana?

How much time will it take to be comfortable with any one of these?

AumNaturel

Canada
687 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2013 :  10:01:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Orahmax,
Padmasana is not directly a part of the baseline practices of AYP, but you can of course use it. What matters more is to be upright and relatively comfortable. I have never been comfortable with siddhasana, and I think the sitting on the heel part is actually suited for a soft bed with back support. I prefer a plain towel or mat on a hard surface, and having the heel there only forces my back to arch backwards. I have also not found it naturally progressive as are ordinary legs crossed, burmese, and half-lotus on the way to padmasana. It is possible to use a hybrid posture where you use any soft object placed appropriately to muladhara with any other sitting style including padmasana. The secondary component to siddhasana can also be improvised to whatever extent. It took me many years of daily or twice daily sittings combined with a bit of stretching to see progress. This is probably normal since it takes that long for different parts of the body involved to alter gradually. The great thing is you can keep meditating in whatever posture, and as long as there is a bit of resistance in your current posture, it progresses on its own to the next one, which you can assume or transition to half-way or towards the end of your sittings. This is using the 'gentle favoring' as instructed in the AYP asanas lessons. If you would like to cut this time down, it might be helpful to consult with a teacher who has experience in doing this. You can find more on siddhasana in lesson 75 and in later ones as well.
Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2242 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2013 :  9:30:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I've found sitting in Thunderbolt astride a bolster, with an old hacky sack (small bean bag) at my perineum very comfortable and effective. It removes pressure from my knees, back, and feet, and allows an erect spine and focussed attention in the practice.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000