Kundalini - AYP Practice-Related
 Question regarding post-meditation hyperactivity
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Eternity

Canada
3 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2013 :  1:01:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi everyone,

This is my first post on this forum, and I wanted to begin by saying thank you to all those who take the time to apply the practices of yoga and report on their experiences. Also a thank you goes out to Yogani for making this whole ayp available to the masses while remaining humble about it.

Because this is my first post I will give a little bit of history about my "spiritual" practices before asking my question, so that those who answer may have a better idea of where I am coming from (skip to last paragraph for question if you wish). I started the journey using plants and fungi (and a brief foray into pranayama), the likes of which I won't go into any details about, approximately 3 years ago. I then began meditation and followed the buddhist map on and off for 1 year, practicing vipassana and eventually training the jhanas. I heard about aypsite from the dharma overground and decided to give it a shot starting the past september. I figured all the talk of bliss was worth investigating. Prior to ayp I had experienced absorption into jhana from time to time, and was meditating regularly for 45 min daily. I made the switch because although I was experiencing some silence, there was no bliss to be found. I have now been doing yoga for 1.5 months and seem to have found my place. I have been feeling very good the past few weeks, and I am noticing significant happiness and joy in the few hours following my session (I am performing the quickie asana routine ~ 3 minutes, followed by 10 minutes pranayama with Sambhavi, full yogic breath, and ujjayi, and 20 minutes deep meditation followed by 10 - 15 minutes rest twice daily).

On to the question! I meditated this morning and expected as usual to be bubbly afterwards. During pranayama I felt some of the usual pleasure in the spine, and, during meditation, I for the first time was winking in and out of absorption with the mantra. Afterwards however, things got weird... In the space of 30 minutes after my rest I went from bubbly to feeling like I took cocaine... or at least 500 espressos - like a infinit storehouse of nervous energy. I had to go for a run to try and "ground" myself, but felt like I could run a marathon. Now, 3 hours later, the crazy energy is subsiding. Can someone please explain to me what happened and If I should be concerned?

Thank you

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2013 :  2:27:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Eternity

Afterwards however, things got weird... In the space of 30 minutes after my rest I went from bubbly to feeling like I took cocaine... or at least 500 espressos - like a infinit storehouse of nervous energy. I had to go for a run to try and "ground" myself, but felt like I could run a marathon. Now, 3 hours later, the crazy energy is subsiding. Can someone please explain to me what happened and If I should be concerned?

Thank you

How did you feel when it was happening?
Did it scare you or upset you or were you mentally OK with it?

You just had a burst of energy and it may or may not happen again...
If you did not like how it made you feel, then..
quote:
(I am performing the quickie asana routine ~ 3 minutes, followed by 10 minutes pranayama with Sambhavi, full yogic breath, and ujjayi, and 20 minutes deep meditation followed by 10 - 15 minutes rest twice daily).

... increase the asana time and decrease the spinal breathing time and if you feel so inclined decrease the DM time by 5 min as well.

Or keep going and see if it happens again. It may not. If it does happen and happens too often then you will experience fatigue (you know how a 500 espressos high will finally be gone and make you crash). So if this happens more than a few sessions... definitely cut back on practices. If it is a one or two times thing and if you don't mind it, I would say let it play itself out as there may be something clearing out.

Use your best judgement.

Hope this helps.

PS: I would skip the evening session as you don't want this high (if it did happen again) to interfere with your night sleep.

PPS: Welcome to the AYP forums!
Go to Top of Page

Eternity

Canada
3 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2013 :  3:26:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hey Shanti,

Thank you for the reply.

In response to whether it scared me or made me upset, it was starting to scare me when I decided to exercise because it took me by surprise and started causing anxiety. I didn't expect to have a rapid pulse and breathing.

I will stay the course for now and see how it plays out. If a storm hits me I will slow down (and seek shelter). In the mean time, I think I will just label it as "scenery" and try not to fight it if it happens again. My chief concern was whether any sort of serious damage can occur ala kundalini something or other, but then I might be getting ahead of myself :D

I can't skip a session as I made an oath to myself to do this twice a day until december to test the waters. Plus sleep was never a priority in these matters :)

Thanks again
Go to Top of Page

pkj

USA
158 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2013 :  4:30:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Few things for grounding I can share which worked for me.

Most important is the surrender, just keep faith in the process and surrender.
Cut down on practices. I also do the Yoga asnans and followed by Samayama/self enquiry. Surya Namaskar asanas are very good for grounding. Especially the cobra posture.

No heavy exercise as i have seen the same as it will charge up more. so lot of walking helps.

One more important piece is just step back see the witness. very very powerful. you are just doing the action in silence it will be little tricky initally but as you bring your attention back to let go you will slip into the silence even while doing any action.

Also cut down on practices just Asanas and some Samayama to see how it does it. Also don't pay attention to the crown just observe the sensations in the body.

All the best

PKJ
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2013 :  6:25:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Eternity

I can't skip a session as I made an oath to myself to do this twice a day until december to test the waters. Plus sleep was never a priority in these matters :)

Thanks again

Being committed is great, but be intelligently committed. If you are into lifting weights and your arms become very sore, you would skip it for a session or two right? Same with practices... listen to what your system is telling you.

Sleep is important, especially if you want to have a handle on this kind of highs. Like I said if there are a few of these you will experience fatigue and if there is no sleep to mitigate this you will get grumpy and/or angry and/or depressed. We don't want a grumpy Eternity () now do we?
Go to Top of Page

Eternity

Canada
3 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2013 :  2:30:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
A quick update for the annals of aypsite's forum.

I had a horrific week. I experienced extreme anger, frustration, and relationship problems, chaotic mind during meditation, not to mention lack of sleep. I felt I was dragging myself to the meditation cushion and I even missed a session. I thought a lot about what Yogani was saying regarding the importance of long-term sustained practice and I decided that it would be in my best interest to drastically reduce my practice time and maintain the schedule versus giving up all together.

I am now doing on average 3 minutes asanas, 5 minutes spinal breathing pranayama followed by 10 minutes of deep meditation, topped off with 5 minutes of rest - half the original practice time. I have had a few sessions where I only managed to get in 5 - 10 minutes total meditation time, but I have diligently kept up the sitting schedule.

I am feeling a bit better now, but I am not nearly as happy and equanimous as before my reduction in practice time. I am still angry at times during the day, but the problems are resolving themselves slowly, hopefully.

Thanks for the advice Shanti & pkj

Edited by - Eternity on Oct 24 2013 2:31:25 PM
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2013 :  2:46:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry about that, Eternity.
Hope you feel much better, soon.
Much Love!
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2013 :  08:28:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Eternity,
Hope you are feeling better this morning.

Something came to me this morning that I would like to run by you. If, what I say, does not feel right, just let it go for now.

The surge of high energy happens when something (block) is let go... all the energy that was tied up in keeping the block in place is now released. This energy is now available to do some more cleaning and will rub against the other blocks and bringing them to light (cause friction in our nervous system to scrub out/bring to our awareness other blocks).

Although, in your case since you are overloading, it is not a good time to do any inquiry or practices to work with anything further, it is a very good time, if you can, to watch your thought patterns. See how the "anger, frustration, and relationship problems" arise, what thought patterns bring them up and keep you looping/tied up to the "anger, frustration, and relationship problems". Just watch. See them. If helpful write them down. Don't act on it yet... when stable if you feel drawn to it you can work on them.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000