Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Starting meditation
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

colours

Sweden
108 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2013 :  10:21:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi

My question is if using the IAM mantra for five minutes two times each day is a good starting practice?

colours

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2013 :  10:48:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome to the AYP forums, Colours!

May I ask why you are doing only 5 min?

Did you start with 5 min twice a day or did you start with the recommended 20 min and decided to cut back to 5 min because 20 min was too much?
Or maybe there is a time constraint that allows you only 5 min?
Or you misunderstood the lesson?
Or ?????

Sorry... was just curious, why only 5 min.

Go to Top of Page

colours

Sweden
108 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2013 :  08:11:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I did not meditate for a while because of sickness. That is why I started with five minutes. I feel abit of agression when meditating. Welcome to reply on this matter.
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2013 :  10:28:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Colours,
Thank you for the clarification.

Sorry about your sickness. Hope things are better now.

Do you feel aggression even with 5 min of meditation?

If not, then I am really happy that you had the presence of mind to start with just 5 min. Most people will push and overload, so you taking it slow (without being told to do so) is a very good thing.

If you feel the aggression with even 5 min, then maybe try 5 min once a day and the second session do only breath meditation, or try breath meditation for both sessions.

What kind of aggression do you feel? Do you feel it during practice only, or does it stay with you during the day?

Thanks again.
Go to Top of Page

colours

Sweden
108 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2013 :  5:46:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry for no reply in a while.

Maybe you can help me again. Is it okay to do only meditation and sitting normal at a chair? Not sure if it is a good idea for me to meditate...tried yoga postures but no interest there for me now...but I will maybe do meditation again.
Think I read somewhere that only meditation is fine, but I could not find it in the lessons.

colours
Go to Top of Page

AumNaturel

Canada
687 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2013 :  8:27:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Colours,
"Find a quiet, comfortable place where you can sit, preferably with back support. We want to remove unnecessary distractions. Just sit and relax somewhere where you can close your eyes for twenty minutes without interruptions" Lesson 13.

Meditation is a core practice. If there's any place to begin, continue with, or if it's the only thing possible for the moment, don't hesitate.

I've found the additions call to me to the point where it's hard to cut back on this or that when there's little time. They reveal themselves to be part of the dynamic whole of the practice, just as the lessons outline.
Go to Top of Page

colours

Sweden
108 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2013 :  05:59:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the reply. But I don't think I will meditate or do yoga for now.

colours
Go to Top of Page

mathurs

United Kingdom
197 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2013 :  09:02:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Colours, Just to add to what Aum has said above - sitting in a chair and meditating is perfectly fine.

Warm welcome to the forums!
Go to Top of Page

AumNaturel

Canada
687 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2013 :  09:40:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Colours, nothing wrong with that. Follow what calls to you. Don't be surprised if at some point, maybe soon, you find yourself able to and interested in meditating or doing something energy-related again.
Go to Top of Page

colours

Sweden
108 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2014 :  12:23:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello again

mathurs: Ok, I try to follow the instruction as much as possible. But a chair also work as you say.
AumNaturel: Yes, I've been doing yoga again for some time.

Thanks for your replies
Go to Top of Page

karmic

India
19 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2014 :  02:53:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Colours,

Chairs are perfect and even recommended at beginning. You may continue to use them throughout your life. No issues with it.

Just don't leave your practise.

Go to Top of Page

AumNaturel

Canada
687 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2014 :  1:28:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Colours, wish you the best in adding the instructions to your yoga routine. They certainly have a lot of room for adjusting with existing practices. Like it's often said in the lessons, "nurture the habit" and I am sure soon enough with that the habit will carry through with its own momentum.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000