AYPsite.org Forum
 Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Samyama while on my back?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

KellyN

75 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2014 :  11:48:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Good morning beautiful people

I was wondering if it is advisable (if after DM) to do samyama while laying down. It feels natural to do it this way but I can revert to the sitting position if it is contraindicated

Thank you!
K

jonesboy

USA
594 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2014 :  12:49:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit jonesboy's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
To be honest KellyN I don't know.

It is part of the sitting practice so sitting sounds right. For me at the moment. Samyama is like my awareness is floating on air. I think I would fall asleep if I tried to do it laying down.

If it is working for you. I don't see why not.
Go to Top of Page

KellyN

75 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2014 :  10:06:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you jonesboy
If it feels natural, it can't be all that bad! I am sitting in samyama most times but sometimes i just lay down :) and all is well.
K
Go to Top of Page

jeff

USA
971 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2014 :  11:07:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Kelly,

Doing samyama (or meditation) while laying on your back is an excellent and powerful way to do it. It can be very helpful, because one is usually more relaxed and not mentally focused on any discomfort from a sitting position. The reason that most don't recommend it for beginners is that it is easy to slip into sleep.

Best wishes,
Jeff
Go to Top of Page

KellyN

75 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2014 :  5:55:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Good to know Jeff! I don't typically fall asleep when i meditate laying down. So, i will continue to sit and then lay for samyama!!
Thanks!!
K
Go to Top of Page

AumNaturel

Canada
687 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2014 :  9:23:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
After a brief search through the books, I haven't found any mention of doing samyama lying down, which seems reserved for cosmic samyama instead. If the idea of DM is going inward, and samyama is bringing the inner outwards, it would seem more in line to do both in the same upright position. Correct me if I'm wrong, but samyama lying down would therefore be a departure from the AYP baseline.

Melting feeling in Samyama topic also touches on this. Samyama in my understanding uses the inner silence of deep meditation to help stimulate further openings and purification, and it would therefore make sense to have consistency in body position as in the energy practices and deep meditation. Samyama, as the the lessons suggest, moves into daily living between practices, but this is different than when following the AYP sutra list as part of practices where the set way to use it is quite specific.
Go to Top of Page

KellyN

75 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2014 :  8:54:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hmmm, Aum, you make a great point. I had read similar information about cosmic samyama. I had said that I f the indication is to maintain continuity and consistency, that i would just go back to sitting samyama. I will just do that to be safe.

Thank you all
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000