Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Awareness of Mantra in Deep Meditation
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Mr.Meditator

USA
13 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2013 :  5:58:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hey everyone,

I've been practicing DM twice a day for the past three days, and I have a question concerning awareness on the "I am" mantra.

When I meditate, I place my attention deeply on the thought of the mantra from moment to moment. In other words, I try to notice the subtle changes that occur in the sound as I repeat the phrase. In the lessons, however, Yogani refers to the meditation process as something that should occur easily, so I'm wondering if I'm forcing my attention too much even though I feel relaxed during my practice.

Should I direct my attention toward noticing every detail of the thought of the mantra in my head (an intense focus), or should I simply focus on thinking the thought and then come back to it when I lose it (a mild focus)?

I hope I was able to explain myself well enough to be understood. Thanks for reading.

jonesboy

USA
594 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2013 :  8:22:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit jonesboy's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Try to let it go. Be casual about it. No need to strain, control or force it.

Welcome to AYP
Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2013 :  10:07:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Mild focus. No deliberate letting go. Easily favoring. Like powder dissolving in water, the mantra refines itself into stillness. There is no end to the depth. There is only gently returning to the mantra and letting the process occur as you become absorbed in deeper levels of samadhi.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.07 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000