Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Initiation and Kriya
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

martydee

USA
3 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2013 :  2:37:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hello All,

I'm happy to have found this site.

I'm brand new to meditation. And brand new to this site as well. I've been looking around for the best method and stumbled across Kriya yoga. But I keep reading that one must be initiated into it in order for it to work its wonders. Is this true? And if it is, is it also necessary to be initiated into the Deep Meditation method as well? There do appear to be some similarities.

Thanks,
Marty

Will Power

Spain
415 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2013 :  04:23:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Dear martydee,

I'd say that there are 3 or 4 options:

1) Get initiated into Kriya Yoga and practise what you are told to. If you do so, avoid organizations, since they have altered greatly the Kriya Yoga techniques (and some techniques aren't taught at all) and the initiations are massive. It is said that in one-to-one Initiations you get guru's energy transfered. Some don't feel it, but they keep practising and succeed. In USA you can get a one-to-one initiation by Ashok Kumar Singh. He keeps contact after the initiation by email and trace your spiritual growth.
http://www.vedickriyayoga.com/
A user of this forum described the state of Consciousness that she experience through following his teachings.

You will have to pay for your travel to visit the Guru or for a Guru's travel, and then a donation (nobody will tell you a fixed quantity, but to give what you can to help Guru with his expenses)

2) Practise Kriya Yoga without getting initiated. For this there are books on the internet describing the techniques, and there is a good manual called Kriya Secrets revealed, by J.C.Stevens (you'll have to buy it). There is no doubt that if you practise the techniques correctly and everyday even without initiation you will succeed. However since you have to read the instructions many times, practise and then read again to make sure that your practice is correct. There are techniques like Talabya Kriya or the milking of the tongue, that help get to Kechari Mudra, which are easy to be practised in a wrong way if your practice is not checked.

Let's see this imaginary scenario: you didn't pass Math in June, the University classes are over, and then you have another exam in September. You can follow the book and study alone or get a private teacher to teach you and check your progress.
The book is the cheapest way and it works if you study and are constant. The teacher is more expensive but will help you, and it will be easier for you to pass. Both alternatives are good, you have to decide the best for you.

3) AYP, starting in this website with lesson 0. The main practice of AYP is Deep Meditation (DM), whereas in Kriya Yoga much more emphasis is placed in Spinal breathing (it is also in AYP where it is taught after DM) and Maha Mudra (in AYP there are other asanas, taught later).

This is for free as well, and you have to self-pace. That is, DM (not only but specially) may bring negative emotions that you have stored in your system to the surface, and if you need it you'll have to slow down the practices or stop for a while, and when ready, resume the practice.
In AYP there is no OM in the chakras while practising Spinal breathing.
You can ask your questions in the forum.

4) Some practise Kriya Yoga and add DM (from AYP) after the Kriyas and before Mental Pranayama or Yoni Mudra.

Peace

Edited:
You don't need initiation for DM.

In AYP to reach Kechari Mudra, snipping the frenulum is recommended (only when it's right for you), where in Kriya it is forbidden. Although AYP is a flexible system and you may use what is good for you to reach the advances stages of Kechari (Talabya Kriya, milking of the tongue...)

Edited by - Will Power on Sep 28 2013 05:58:46 AM
Go to Top of Page

bewell

1275 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2013 :  09:24:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Will Power

3) AYP, starting in this website with lesson 0. The main practice of AYP is Deep Meditation (DM)....

This is for free as well, and you have to self-pace. That is, DM (not only but specially) may bring negative emotions that you have stored in your system to the surface, and if you need it you'll have to slow down the practices or stop for a while, and when ready, resume the practice....

You can ask your questions in the forum.

Hi martydee,

Welcome

I'll put in a plug for Will Power's option 3 and add this: there is an advantage to picking one path and sticking with it exclusively, at least in the initial phase of practice. The AYP practices are an integrated sequence. It is less complicated, simpler.

Best,

Bewell

Edited by - bewell on Sep 28 2013 09:26:51 AM
Go to Top of Page

martydee

USA
3 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2013 :  2:53:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks very much. I must say that when I found this site, it felt like I'd found a new home. So I'll be putting kriya yoga on hold for the time being and begin my AYP journey today.

I don't know what Kechari Mudra is, or what is meant by 'snipping the frenulum.' But I'll do a search and hopefully come up with the answers.

Again, thank you for your thoughtful replies.
Marty
Go to Top of Page

Will Power

Spain
415 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2013 :  5:13:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
oh and by the way, AYP retreats are great
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2013 :  12:22:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by martydee

I don't know what Kechari Mudra is, or what is meant by 'snipping the frenulum.' But I'll do a search and hopefully come up with the answers.

There are definitions in the "Yoga FAQ" link above.
Here is Kechari mudra:

http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....OPIC_ID=2170
Go to Top of Page

Radharani

USA
843 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2013 :  06:07:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit Radharani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Dear Martydee,

I was initiated into Kriya yoga in SRF and Ananda and used that as my core practice for over 30 years before I discovered Heart of Yoga - where I learned the correct way to do the ujjayi breath which SRF recommends with kriya - and a few months later, AYP, where I found that ALL the essential traditional yoga practices are available as an integrated system! While my kriya practice "worked" reasonably well, I wondered how much more progress I would have made, had I found AYP sooner. It is my understanding that AYP spinal breathing is the equivalent of kriya, although IMO the AYP approach is more effective and accessible. The other thing I like about AYP is its balanced perspective on yoga and life in general, including sexuality, which was lacking in the kriya tradition that I initially practiced.

If you are already committed to a particular kriya school, probably best to stick with it. If not, you may find AYP very helpful.
Go to Top of Page

catrynn

Ireland
68 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2013 :  12:52:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Dear Marty,
I too took Kryia initiation with the SRF in London. I live far from any SRF center and very far from the annual convention in USA so I found it nearly impossible to get to any meetings, which are important in SRF. I also found I had to wait a long time for communication when I had problems. It all seemed so difficult that I began to wonder about a spiritual way which was self-reliant.

That was when AYP came into my life. I find the clarity of the practices is amazing, together with the openness and helpfulness of the forums. It develops in relatively easy stages that we are in charge of and that works too because everything is integrated and completely clear. It leads to the same place as Kryia yoga does but does it slightly differently.

I suppose it depends if you want to know exactly where you are going and happy to be self-reliant in it which is the AYP approach. If you would like the communal aspect of a spiritual path, with particular directions from those following a particular guru then something like SRF would suit you. I just find AYP suits me better.

I also think it is better to follow one path. There are differences in approach between just these two and I do not think it is possible to mix and match techniques. The good thing is that you can have as much information as you want on this website so you will know if it is for you or not!

As is said with each lesson from Yogani. 'the guru is within you' so take heart
Catherine
Go to Top of Page

teknix

USA
8 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2013 :  01:59:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
What if you want to get out of the country and live somewhere else? Is there a place you can go to practice and work at the same time? Like a place to work for your living expenses and training? I was thinking of going to Thailand, but the job prospects there are extremely limited to foreigners. I would be happy if I could do some chores to earn my keep and spend my extra time learning and practicing.
Go to Top of Page

martydee

USA
3 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2013 :  6:49:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you, Radharani. Thank you, catrynn. I thought this thread was dead so I haven't checked here in a while.

Since last here, I became initiated into Kriya yoga by Ashok Singh. (In southern California). He taught me what appears just the most basic of Kriya which is fine for a start, but I'll soon be needing to look elsewhere, and where better to broaden my horizons than here.

Speak soon.

Marty
Go to Top of Page

illkeepmysol

USA
25 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2013 :  10:05:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
all of these yogas are supposed to arise spontaneously after kundalini awakening.. do you want to reach conciousness of Jesus christ or the buddha? Practice what they taught, love thyself, love thy neigbor, and love god with all thy heart. Bhakti yoga is the highest form of yoga. No need to perform hatha yoga. at all.
Go to Top of Page

parvati9

USA
587 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2013 :  09:34:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by teknix

What if you want to get out of the country and live somewhere else? Is there a place you can go to practice and work at the same time? Like a place to work for your living expenses and training? I was thinking of going to Thailand, but the job prospects there are extremely limited to foreigners. I would be happy if I could do some chores to earn my keep and spend my extra time learning and practicing.

Hi teknix

Excellent idea! There are undoubtedly many others looking for such an opportunity, who would benefit from this kind of enterprise, just like you. Whenever possible spiritually oriented entrepreneurs should be encouraged to create facilities for this monasterial type communal living arrangement. It would be an uplifting experience for everyone involved and a wonderful way to contribute toward getting this planet oriented in a positive direction. Thanks for the post as you've definitely articulated something in which tens of thousands of spiritual aspirants worldwide (at least) would love to participate. It may be helpful to develop this desire of yours a little further, flesh it out so to speak. Meditate frequently upon it, keep looking for opportunities, and visualize exactly, specifically, what you need. You may also express gratitude for the universe meeting that need, as imo this will help to bring it into manifestation.

love
parvati

Edited by - parvati9 on Oct 19 2013 8:31:39 PM
Go to Top of Page

Radharani

USA
843 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2013 :  9:00:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit Radharani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by illkeepmysol

all of these yogas are supposed to arise spontaneously after kundalini awakening.. do you want to reach conciousness of Jesus christ or the buddha? Practice what they taught, love thyself, love thy neigbor, and love god with all thy heart. Bhakti yoga is the highest form of yoga. No need to perform hatha yoga. at all.

It's not necessarily "either/or." Ideally ALL forms of yoga practice including kriya, hatha, tantra, etc. can be done AS a devotional practice, i.e. with bhakti as the motivation. For me personally it's all about bhakti.
Go to Top of Page

NoDogma

USA
123 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2013 :  8:51:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by martydee

Thank you, Radharani. Thank you, catrynn. I thought this thread was dead so I haven't checked here in a while.

Since last here, I became initiated into Kriya yoga by Ashok Singh. (In southern California). He taught me what appears just the most basic of Kriya which is fine for a start, but I'll soon be needing to look elsewhere, and where better to broaden my horizons than here.

Speak soon.

Marty

I too was initiated by Ashok Singh (vedickriyayoga.com) back in 2011. It is only First Kriya but I find that by itself it is a very potent practice. I've only added 2 things from AYP viz., self pacing and meditation after the kriya routine. This practice is not supposed to be 'get it all in 1 year' kind. It is better to let things happen slowly over time before moving to next step (AYP repeatedly talks on 'pacing yourself').

regards,
Savyasachi
Go to Top of Page

Holy

796 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2013 :  09:57:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit Holy's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi martydee and NoDogma,

would you both like to give an experience report about your initiation with Ashok and the results of that kriya practice?

There is a thread, where Will Power had written his experience: http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....&whichpage=1

There are 4-6 different kriya yogas around these days + individual mixtures = endless variants. Some experience reports directly related to the initiator and its practice give the best insight. Ashok's may be among the most orig kriya variants and practice reports of that are pretty lacking on the net :P

Thanks and peace friends :)

Edit: NoDogma had already written about it here http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....PIC_ID=13819, thanks :)

Edited by - Holy on Dec 29 2013 6:04:25 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000