Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Suggestion?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Jeanine

USA
14 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2013 :  11:58:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi Folks,

I was wondering if anyone might have a suggestion. I've been doing deep meditation for seven months now and have added pranayama and samyama as Yogani suggests. I would say I'm past the clunky stage and experiencing wonderful effects in daily life.

However, I came into meditation with an anxiety disorder, and while the practices are helping tremendously, I do still encounter anxiety states at times. My question is this: I would like to do a calming practice when I'm feeling anxious. Since deep meditation brings so much peace, my instinct is to want to do it when I'm feeling anxious, but I don't want to deviate from the twice daily routine by adding it as a "go to" when I'm anxious. So my question is, what practice is ok to do "as needed" for relaxing? Thank you.

Pheel

China
318 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2013 :  12:56:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit Pheel's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Jeanine,

Glad to hear that DM and other practices are making it better. Here's a lesson that you might find helpful to read:http://aypsite.org/259.html
As your DM progress, you'll gradually be able to be with your anxiety, observe it until it recedes. If you still can't, then some alternative nostril breathing might bring some relief...that's my two cents.

Phil
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2013 :  08:58:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Jeanine,
The lesson Pheel pointed you to covers, very nicely, what I was going to suggest to you.
Anxiety is a conditioned reaction, and the way to get over any conditioned reaction is to see the stories that keep it in place. So the next time you get anxious, don't push it away, or try to be someplace else (mentally) that will help you calm down, at leaset for a bit try to take a step back and see what stories the mind is spinning/looping in that is making you anxious. Be with it for as long as is comfortable (don't push yourself, just baby steps)... and see if you can pick on thought pattern/s that is causing this discomfort. If you are still comfortable with going on, try to see if those stories are true. If you are looping mentally very strongly and feeling very uncomfortable, let it go and come back to it later... but when you are in a position to be easy with the thought pattern, do some inquiry on it (Byron Katie's Loving What Is is an awesome book to look into). See if you can see if those stories hold any water. If not see how you can see the reality of the situation without the stories and let the stories go.
If what I have written is not too clear, please don't hesitate to ask questions.
Wish you all the best!
Much Love!
Go to Top of Page

Jeanine

USA
14 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2013 :  12:18:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Phil and Shanti

Phil, thank you for the lesson suggestion. As I read it, I remembered having read it before, but I had forgotten many of the details. Also, I haven't tried the alternative nostil breathing yet. I will look into it. Thank you

Shanti, thank you for the suggestions. Yes, I can fall into that "looping mentally very strongly" as you said. I am aware of the thought patterns that cause it, just not when I'm stuck in them! Interestingly, just a day ago, I did the four questions "the work" of Byron Katie, on a fear that was very strong. It removed it so quickly that I made myself a note to remember to do it. In the past, the four questions never seemed to help me. But they really did this time. Its interesting that you brought it up! Thank you.
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2013 :  09:11:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000