Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Forum FAQ | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 AYPsite.org Forum
 Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Will it stop me from engaging in competitions?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

fs822

China
4 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2013 :  11:05:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Will the pursuit of inner peace stop me from engaging in competitions and achieving?

Hello everyone:
I'm a high school student from China, about to take the most important exam in my life. My classmates are really working hard, they exert a lot of willpower and work day and night trying to outcompete others, say: my dorm mate studies Mathematics for 12 hours a day, really crazy!
I have practiced meditation for a period of time and had glimpses of inner peace, which is a really nice feeling. But when I exert willpower to do things I don¡¯t enjoy doing, e.g. Math, I feel my inner peace greatly disturbed. So restless do I feel that I find myself suffering. So I stop what I am doing and meditate, telling myself competing causes suffering, and that it¡¯s better to ¡°do nothing¡± (quote from Lao Tzu).

However, I do need to compete with others, I do need to go through all the misery to be an achiever. They tell me taking the pain is the first step to achieving, but when I take the pain, I don¡¯t feel inner peace any more. It seems that the pursuit of ¡°inner peace¡± has become a sanctuary for me where I forgive myself for being lazy and procrastinating. I'm not as intrepid as before.

Will meditation deprive me of the power to compete?

PS. I sometimes view competition as an illusion of separation, unconscious¡­ etc.
You know what I mean I¡¯m a new comer here and thank you all for your help!

Edited by - fs822 on Aug 29 2013 11:14:00 PM

ak33

Canada
229 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2013 :  12:03:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
From my personal experience, meditation does not take away your power to compete. Does it take away your contempt for rivals and other competitors? Yes. The restlessness you feel is your own resistance to the activities, so try observing that for a bit. And see if you can find joy in the activity.
Go to Top of Page

Swan

India
256 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2013 :  01:29:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi fs822, welcome to the forum

Inner peace is real when it is abiding, and when it is present regardless of whether you are doing something that you like or something else you like to do. If the inner peace is not anymore with you when you are doing something particular, then probably it is not the inner peace but just a glimpse or a taste of it (and might be a trap for the mind as well) and the real inner peace is yet to be founded. The approach is to seek inner peace is through meditation, and facing the stuffs that pulls you out of your comfort zone, like mathematics as you say, rather than avoiding these stuffs.

The karma of a revered philosopher monk is different than the karma of a young student, so I would not take the literal meaning of what Lao Tzu’s quote sounds like. Imagine a society where nobody is doing their work – the farmers, doctors, police – what kind of mess it will create in a few days!! I am sure that is not what Lao Tzu meant. Rather I will continue doing my karma and try to realize the deeper essence of the teaching of the philosophers. Because avoiding one’s karma is not a way to go, and could be a road block on the other hand.

Regarding exams, last year I was quite overloaded with spiritual practices and at the same time I had to sit for the final (toughest) level of a professional exam. Among the people I know, only I could clear the exam last year while all the way I was afraid of it being the other way around. So, I would say, ‘pursuit of inner peace’ like meditation will not stop you from doing good in exam, in fact they may help you with increased level of mental calm and better ability to concentrate in whatever you are doing. But if by ‘pursuit of inner peace’ you mean avoiding mathematics, or hardwork, or avoiding your karma, then obviously there will be consequences.

Another thing, you may forget about competing with others and just compete with yourself, and focus on giving your best. That may take away the anxiety you feel.

Love...
Go to Top of Page

fs822

China
4 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2013 :  04:12:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by ak33

From my personal experience, meditation does not take away your power to compete. Does it take away your contempt for rivals and other competitors? Yes. The restlessness you feel is your own resistance to the activities, so try observing that for a bit. And see if you can find joy in the activity.

You are right, now I know that the suffering is caused by my resistance to activities. Since avoiding is not an option, I should face it and observe my feelings. Just as Eckhart Tolle says, surrender to what is, and do what you have to do.
Go to Top of Page

fs822

China
4 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2013 :  04:18:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Swan

Hi fs822, welcome to the forum

Inner peace is real when it is abiding, and when it is present regardless of whether you are doing something that you like or something else you like to do. If the inner peace is not anymore with you when you are doing something particular, then probably it is not the inner peace but just a glimpse or a taste of it (and might be a trap for the mind as well) and the real inner peace is yet to be founded. The approach is to seek inner peace is through meditation, and facing the stuffs that pulls you out of your comfort zone, like mathematics as you say, rather than avoiding these stuffs. ...

Thank you so much for your kindness! It really surprises me to see such a long reply. I¡¯ve read it over, indeed I had misconceptions. First I come to realize that doing the staff which pulls me out of my comfort zone is doing my karma, exerting willpower to learn and to compete is nothing bad but rather, a road to growth. Second I searched the internet for Lao Tzu¡¯s Doing Noting and found out it doesn¡¯t mean to literally do nothing, but to discern and follow the natural forces, to follow and shape the flow of events and not to pit oneself against the natural order of things.
I also like your idea of just compete with yourself, it¡¯s wise to always do your best. Now what I need is better self-regulation to overcome procrastination, I¡¯m sure meditation can teach me that.
Go to Top of Page

bewell

1275 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2013 :  06:06:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by fs822
Now what I need is better self-regulation to overcome procrastination, I¡¯m sure meditation can teach me that.

Hi,

Thanks for your question. I enjoyed the conversation that followed. I agree that we each need to do our best in the tasks that are put before us through karma or the natural flow.

As to how to overcome procrastination, in my opinion, the best strategy is to form functional habits. As Yogani has said somewhere, "We are creatures of habit, and we can use that to our advantage." This is true for forming a regular meditation practice, and it is true for forming a practice of academic study. If you have a habit of going to class, you go to class without worrying about it, or having an internal debate about it each time. If you have a habit of doing your assignments, it is the same: you just do it! Likewise, if your dorm mate studies math twelve hours a day habitually, he will not hesitate to continue tomorrow doing what he did yesterday. So in this way of overcoming procrastination, we get into a functional habit, and the structure helps us do what needs to be done.

Namaste,

Go to Top of Page

kami

USA
920 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2013 :  07:04:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi fs822,

It is delightful to see youngsters with so much insight and wisdom!!

Great responses from others already. I'll just add a bit - inner peace does not preclude engagement in the world. Now you are a student, soon you will be contributing to society as a working member. I can say from personal experience that as we grow spiritually, there are periods of time when we might crave solitude. But as a friend said recently, there is always more wood to chop. You might notice the futility of insane competition and rivalry due to your broadening perception. With that, you can continue to engage, but not be so emotionally invested in the outcome. You can do your best, and be happy with whatever comes. That is the first principle of karma yoga.

There is much confusion about "doing nothing". It does not literally mean sitting around and not acting. That is impossible. What it means is that when there is loss of the "I-ness" or ego identification, the sage or yogi continues to be totally active but yet "does" nothing. There is total loss of attachment to the action and the outcome because there is loss of attachment to the one doing or acting. In the Gita, this is called "inaction in action".

Love.
Go to Top of Page

fs822

China
4 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2013 :  08:24:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for all the information and advices!
It's actually the first time I hear of Karma Yoga but I think that's all I need, answers my questions
Go to Top of Page

arti

Christmas Island
18 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2013 :  07:32:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
There is total loss of attachment to the action and the outcome because there is loss of attachment to the one doing or acting.

Then how human can go to shop for example? :) Often its I want to eat I go to shop I buy food I eat. Where is attachment there? By attachment you mean desire? For example I want to look sexy visually I go by new jeans :)

Without desire based on need how is action performed?
Go to Top of Page

Will Power

Spain
415 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2013 :  4:13:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Dear fs822,

I was a student until not long ago and I understand your situation.
Good advices have been written here.

My advice is to get far away from Advaita, Jnana and Neoadvaita readings, it may lower your will power, or perhaps better said, your desire to do the necessary things you must do to get a job and then be in a stable position that will help you to do spiritual practices and experience Union.

Some people just take the easy path, don't make the effort of studying or get trained in the skill that they need to get a job, and then they don't find a job. Your job now is studying. Do it the best you can. Try to have everyday some minutes for spiritual practices. When you think you are ready, remember spinal breathing (before meditation)and some asanas like Maha Mudra at the end of the session to reactivate your circulation and get ready for the next meal or round of study.

The best book in my opinion for you is BHAGAVAD GITA,it will help you work towards your goal while remaining free. Yogananda has a nice translation of the book.

The film "The Secret" will help you to make the necessary effort to achieve your goal, while being calmer in the exam and thus, making less mistakes.

You may also find useful Silva Method of autohypnosis for studying.

With Peace,

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.07 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000