Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Difference between Prana and Kundalini
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

muthu

India
9 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2013 :  05:25:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi

What is the Difference between Prana and Kundalini ? Is there any identification method available to differentiate both?

Christi

United Kingdom
4430 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2013 :  06:38:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Muthu,

Prana is subtle energy, or spiritual energy. Everyone has prana in them as it is the life-force which sustains our physical existence. Kundalini, is a particular flow of prana, so it is a word that describes a special movement of prana. Kundalini is when prana begins to flow more powerfully in the body and begins to flow upwards towards the higher centres in a way which purifies and transforms the whole being. When the flow becomes strong there is also a downward current, pouring down around the head, and also down the centre of the body back into the heart.

So "kundalini" is similar to words like "fountain", or "waterfall", describing particular flows of water.

The only real way to know when kundalini is active is when we begin to experience ecstasy in the body during our spiritual practices or during normal waking life. There are other symptoms that can come first- and often do, but flows of ecstasy are really the only sure symptom.

Christi

p.s. here is an article I wrote on the subject a while back:

What is kundalini?

Go to Top of Page

_shakti_

Canada
48 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2013 :  1:37:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi muthu, I can only answer this from my own experience. It's funny you post this now, just the other day I was talking to someone about the differences :)

For me prana is the life force that flows within us all.. that which connects us on a spiritual level. Whereas kundalini is a more concentrated form of that life force.. felt much more powerfully. That which connects the spirit to the body and burns away impurities, to ultimately unite-all. It's almost like the relationship between spirit and soul (respectively).

I may be able to direct the flow of prana in certain ways, but with kundalini.. my best hope is only to influence. She has a definite mind of her own and requires a certain amount of surrender. I would actually call it radical surrender. All of this is just my understanding of the two, and I'm sure it will evolve over time. What are your thoughts on it?

Christi.. great description, and I loved that article. It elucidates much without the usual jargon that often bogs down such explanations. Thanks for sharing :)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000