Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Performing the I AM Mantra
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

theinfin8

USA
1 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2013 :  1:34:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
A quick question in regards to the I Am Mantra. I've studied a few other schools of thought on meditation, namely zen buddhism. In this area, it mentions focusing on the tanden (area below the navel) as the primary area to focus on because it actually physiologically affects the slowing down of thoughts. However, another sect of zen, discussed in the samurai classic "the Unfettered Mind" mentions that nothing should be focused on or thought of at all during meditation. Kind of like a Chinese riddle, if your mind is somewhere, it will be nowhere, but if it not residing in one place, it will be everywhere.

That being said, what are the thoughts on these teachings compared to using the I Am mantra. Furthermore, I find that sometimes when I use the I Am mantra, it seems to stimulate thoughts more so than if I were to only say the mantra when I notice that I am off in a stream of thoughts. Thus, is the mantra supposed to constantly be repeated, or solely when we notice we are off in thoughts? Any help would be appreciated.

tonightsthenight

846 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2013 :  2:17:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
My understanding is that you focus the mind on the mantra and you don't consciously move your center of awareness. Just let it be.

I will say, however, that the majority of advanced practitioners seem to have their own twists to this, so in a sense it is a baseline practice and you are free to modify it as you wish.

With regard to your second question, mantra meditation means you 'say' the mantra at whatever pace you want. But you don't force it, just let it naturally come up over and over. Don't resist thoughts, simply come back to the mantra.
There will be times with no thought when you lose the mantra. That's fine, but if you notice, just come back to the mantra.
Go to Top of Page

AumNaturel

Canada
687 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2013 :  4:08:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome TheInfin8,
what meditation style you choose is of course up to you, and what resonates with you most. The explanations for Deep Meditation, along with the very specific instructions, are presented throughout the lessons, just as TonightsTheNight summarized, and it goes beyond this mantra steadily and progressively as you build on the practices. A search is also available to look up key words at the top right, which will reveal a number of insightful discussions on the intricacies of deep meditation.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000