Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Forum FAQ | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 AYPsite.org Forum
 Discussions on AYP Pranayama, Mudras and Bandhas
 Uddiyana Bandha - length of breath suspension?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Yogaman

USA
295 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2013 :  11:15:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I've recently added the "asana start kit" to my meditation routine. I have a question about the asana for uddiyana bandha. Yogani's instructions say to exhale as much air as possible from the lungs, then do the abdominal lift for 5 seconds, release, then repeat twice more.

I can barely hold my breath through the second one. Is it OK to catch my breath in between and continue, or should I only maintain as long as I can continually hold the breath?

I assume as I practice, I'll gradually increase the length of time I can hold the breath. As it stands I get quite light-headed after the second round :)

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2013 :  09:00:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Yogaman

I've recently added the "asana start kit" to my meditation routine. I have a question about the asana for uddiyana bandha. Yogani's instructions say to exhale as much air as possible from the lungs, then do the abdominal lift for 5 seconds, release, then repeat twice more.

I can barely hold my breath through the second one. Is it OK to catch my breath in between and continue, or should I only maintain as long as I can continually hold the breath?

I assume as I practice, I'll gradually increase the length of time I can hold the breath. As it stands I get quite light-headed after the second round :)

Maintain as long as you can. Don't force it. It may help to hold your breath for a shorter time (maybe just 1 or 2 seconds) in the first round so all 3 rounds of it is comfortable and as even as possible (maybe 1-2 seconds each). You have it right, the over time you will be able to hold your breath longer more comfortable.
Go to Top of Page

Yogaman

USA
295 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2013 :  01:26:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks again Shanti! I was wondering if I should lessen the time so I could get all three sets in with one breath-hold, that clears things up.

I've been making some good progress with SBP & DM, decided to add the "Asana Starter Kit" to my routine a few weeks ago.
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2013 :  09:35:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

Thanks again Shanti! I was wondering if I should lessen the time so I could get all three sets in with one breath-hold, that clears things up.

I've been making some good progress with SBP & DM, decided to add the "Asana Starter Kit" to my routine a few weeks ago.

My yoga teacher in India (this is like 25 years ago) always said doing the practices evenly over the 3 rounds is better than give the first round your all and then not having enough for the next two rounds. So all your asanas, keep a balance and try to be as even as you can in each repeat (be it breath or stretch or how long you can hold a pose).

I too love that "starter kit".
Go to Top of Page

Yogaman

USA
295 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2013 :  12:05:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Makes perfect sense Shanti.

I started doing an asana routine for fitness on my workout "rest days", and noticed an improvement in my meditations around that time. I remembered that I'd not read up on AYP info in some time as I was keeping my addition of new techniques to a minimum. I went back and re-read the Asanas, Mudras & Bandhas book.

The "starter kit" is so easy to do right before my sits, so it's a no-brainer. I am about 7 months in to AYP at this point. I'm just now reaching points of deep stillness during sits (or getting very close), which I take as a good sign and worthy of some additions to the routine.
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2013 :  12:15:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

I am about 7 months in to AYP at this point. I'm just now reaching points of deep stillness during sits (or getting very close), which I take as a good sign and worthy of some additions to the routine.

Sounds great!
More than deep stillness during sits (which can change, you may go through phases of not very deep meditations as well, but that is a good sign.. stuff being dug out) do you feel inner silence touching your everyday living?
Go to Top of Page

Yogaman

USA
295 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2013 :  3:16:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah I have "off" meditations as well. I am sensing inner silence in daily life though. Not always, not everyday, but more often and for longer periods of time.

I've also been exercising and eating more healthily, so it's tough for the skeptic in me to sort out what effects are derived from what practice and habits. I understand the concept of "scenery" in meditation, but without any other obvious milestone unique to meditation I rely on my experiences during sits to give me some sort of feedback.

I'm open to other methods though!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000