Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Mantra Or Breath?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Satchillananda

Germany
3 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2013 :  04:27:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hello everyone!

I'm practicing DM for over 2 Months now, 2x20 minutes each with 10 minutes SBP before and 5 minutes resting after. I started out with mantra meditation as recommended. I had some good results I think.

My sitting position in siddhasana became very stable in comparision with when I started: I adjusted my neck and my back a few degrees when some sensation became too strong. Now after time and regular practice this tweaking is almost over. Strong sensations still remain.

I read about over-sensitivity and questioned myself if thats my case. So I tried the recommended breath meditation, yesterday and it was a real pleasure. I perceived this process handling the strong sensations better and in general smoother than matra meditation.

My questions are:

1) Should I go further with breath meditation?

2) Is it okay to go, for example, in the morning with mantra meditation and in the evening with breath meditation? Or should I stick with one kind of meditation for a few months, see how it plays out and change it then, if it's necessary for me?

woosa

United Kingdom
382 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2013 :  06:52:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello

Well you are the one doing the practice, so choose which you are comfortable doing.

I've practised both breath and mantra. For the me mantra meditation is much more powerful (why I need to now do breath only). I scaled back because I was getting pain in my crown and eyes.

If you are experiencing pain, or discomfort then I would recommend breath meditation. However, if you are getting strong sensations without pain and discomfort then I would carry on with the mantra for a few months and see how it goes. The strong sensations will probably mellow out as you progress.

To answer 2) No. I wouldn't mix mantra with breath. You want to be concentrating on one effective method twice a day. Doing two different practices will mean you won't really settle into either. It would be a case of 1 step forward 1 step back.

All the best
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000