Discussions on AYP Pranayama, Mudras and Bandhas
 Intense spinal breathing vibrations
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

LucidGene

United Kingdom
3 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2013 :  10:00:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I am relatively new to this website but have been in deep meditation and yoga for 2 years now. This website is truly pleasurable to read due to it's simplicity and very powerful practices, thank you Yogani!

I have started the pranayama spinal breathing. I have done other pranayama techniques and do an Egyptian pranayama twice daily. But I have never experienced such vast amounts of prana being flooded into my system with this spinal breathing technique. I have a very violent hayfever this summer and when I do spinal breathing it just dissolves like it was never there! I really enjoy this practice and as I progress and do it for a while my spine just feel absolutely delicious.

My question is about over-intensity when doing spinal breathing. My cells are vibrating so intensely when I'm travelling up and down the spine that my body can starts to shake, and even when I try to let go and relax my whole body the vibrations are intense, but it can also be distracting and overwhelming. Should I let the initial vibrations come in and will this subside eventually or should I try to calm everything down?

Thank you

yogani

USA
5201 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2013 :  11:37:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi LucidGene, and welcome!

If the intensity of the experience becomes too much, it is suggested to back off the procedure of spinal breathing for a minute or two, allowing the attention to rest innocently with the sensations, and see if things ease up enough so you can return to spinal breathing with relative comfort. If not, then consider self-pacing (reducing) the time of your practice to something you can manage until things settle down. Keep in mind that in AYP we use spinal breathing as a preparation for deep meditation, so you should feel settled and relaxed after spinal breathing and before deep meditation. Deep meditation is the most important practice in the AYP system, so we want to make sure we are beginning it with a settled body/mind.

Taking on AYP spinal breathing and deep meditation at the same time can be a bit dicey. Generally, we begin with deep meditation, and then pick up spinal breathing a few weeks or months later. Since you are coming from another system of practice, and perhaps mixing AYP with other practices you have been doing, the path will be even a bit more dicey, but not impossible. Just make sure to self-pace whenever experiences are getting to be too much. You obviously have quite a bit of ecstatic conductivity flowing there, which is a symptom of a lot of purification and opening occurring in the subtle neurobiology. You'll be wise to take it gradually one day at a time, not overdoing too much. These are powerful practices, but Rome was not built in a day. One step at a time...

Others may chime in here with similar experiences they have had, and how they handled it.

Lovely life-changing experience you shared from a few years ago over here.

Thank you, and all the best on your continuing path!

The guru is in you.

PS: If you are doing spinal breathing for more than 5-10 minutes, it is suggested to scale it back to that range, and less if the energy is consistently being too much.

Go to Top of Page

LucidGene

United Kingdom
3 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2013 :  09:44:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Ah yes thank you, I always have to remind myself of self-pacing, I should have slow down! sticky notes all over my house! haha. Thank you very much it's great advice, I will be sure to make wise decisions in choosing when and what practices to do.

All the best to you too
Go to Top of Page

Yonatan

Israel
849 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2013 :  9:47:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi LucidGene,

Welcome to AYP!! Glad to have you here

I can tell that I have been doing AYP for something like 4 years, and right now the most spinal breathing I can do is about 4 cycles of it, because I found out that more is more opening than I can manage and have in day-to-day life. So no rush, and yes, self pacing can be a hard lesson to learn (still learning!) especially when your Bhakti is on fire.

Thanks for sharing and being here.

Love
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000