Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Rushing through DM and Samyama
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sunyata

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2013 :  2:17:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi All,

This is my 10th month of practicing AYP- I feel that I'm rushing through my practice. My practice is very minimal- 2-5 min of SB, 15 mins of DM and 5 minutes Samyama and rest.

I always end up opening my eyes after 10 mins of DM and then continue the rest after. Most days I'm done with Samyama in 3 to 4 minutes. I feel like I'm jumping from one sutra to another.

Samyama and DM used to be deeper in the past months. I feel I'm back to my beginning days of practices.

As always thank you so much for your help in advance.

Sunyata

kami

USA
920 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2013 :  7:16:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Sunyata,

Is there restlessness to end the practice session, or do you feel it is boredom?

It is not uncommon to go through such phases.. How are you feeling during daily activities?

Go to Top of Page

sunyata

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2013 :  7:29:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Kami,

It's more of boredom than restlessness. Unlike in the past, it's more like I'm just repeating my routine. Everyday life is calm- somedays I question what's the point of all this. But then again I would much rather feel this peace than the constant noise.Somedays I feel like I'm floating through life. Questions like- if everything is the SELF- then why this everyday drama. Sometimes I just laugh looking/living the creativity of the SELF.

Yes, there is also restlessness to end the practice. However, I don't feel I'm overdoing the practice. If I miss few sessions, I lose the peace.
Sunyata

Edited by - sunyata on Jul 04 2013 9:15:58 PM
Go to Top of Page

kami

USA
920 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2013 :  07:20:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Sunyata,

If it is boredom and you are stable in your current practices, it might help to add another practice. What is your routine now?

Yes, everything is the Self. But that experiential understanding comes over time.. Even after an initial awakening experience (satori), it is the norm to fall back into identification as the limited ego-self, because vasanas are that powerful. Continued practices aid with attenuating vasanas so that the intellectual knowledge of "all is Self" becomes a vivid reality. Very, very rarely does someone have an initial awakening and is never pulled back - they've done this work before in previous lifetimes, and completion of this last vasana is why they took birth again...

The rest of us plod on, practicing-purifying-opening in ever expanding ways..

Much love.
Go to Top of Page

sunyata

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2013 :  8:33:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
My routine

3-5 min-SB
15 mins- DM
5 mins- Samyama
Rest

Which routine should I add? I don't enjoy spinal breathing. It feels exhausting.

Love,
Sunyata
Go to Top of Page

kami

USA
920 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2013 :  07:00:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Sunyata,

Quick question - do you use a timer? If you don't, I'd suggest using one... There are very good timer apps available for smartphones if a separate gadget is not desirable.. Using a timer takes away the impulse to look at the time or end a particular practice prematurely.. I find that people relax more into a practice when they know there is nowhere to go and nothing t do until the timer chimes..

If you already do use a timer, you might want to try adding 1-2 rounds of chin pump after SB and before DM.. Alternately, increase samyama to 10 min with two repetitions of each sutra (but since the issue seems to be boredom, adding more time to an existing practice may not help..)

Go to Top of Page

AumNaturel

Canada
687 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2013 :  10:10:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
what about some energy related practice if you're stable? mulabandha, asvini, ujjayi, sambhavi, siddhasana, asanas. those I've always found very rewarding and enjoyable. (one at a time, in a self paced way)

Also, when I first started with guiding the breath and intention, it felt constrictive and tiring, but then learned to relax and let the attention flow on it's own. Maybe it is part of the clunky stage, but it should gradually become better if you're easy about it. Let us know how the pranayama works out.

Edited by - AumNaturel on Jul 06 2013 1:52:10 PM
Go to Top of Page

sunyata

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2013 :  08:49:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Kami,

Yes, I do use the timer from my iPhone. I just discovered that I hit a huge blockage that I had been suspecting for weeks. The dream last night confirmed- I was going down a tunnel when suddenly I hit a road block and was stuck. But was surprised to find a big door on the side. I went in the door but was woken up from the dream. I'm trying to see if I am overloading. This week I've been practicing once a day meditation. How do I deal with this blockage? Is there a way to remove this?

Aum- Your description of spinal breathing has made the process easier. Thank You. I've read this plenty of times before. But I'm the type who has to hear it for the 100th time before I finally get it

Love,
Sunyata

Edited by - sunyata on Jul 10 2013 4:40:17 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000