Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Rollback
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ak33

Canada
229 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2013 :  7:30:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hey guys,

I've been practicing DM for 7 months now. Twice a day for 20 mins, consistently. Now that summer break has begun, I no longer have any outlet like school to ground myself and test my progress. I still try to ground through lifting weights, playing sports, hanging out with friends etc. But its not the same. And I've started thinking and identifying with those thoughts A LOT more. Basically I feel a rollback of process. Extremely depressing, as I feel all my hard work has gone to waste. I was starting to feel divine love also, but now I have become more self-centered than ever. Can someone please help me out

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2013 :  8:18:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Karma yoga. Find a way to be of service that moves beyond your self-contained ideas of enlightenment. If you can't give it away or share it in some form, it's not real. Spiritual practices aren't like working hard so you can fill up a bank account and spend money on your private pleasures. It's more like becoming an instrument and channel for the outpouring of divine love--without expectation of return. The end result is service...not self-contained trances.

This came up for me early on, and it's still very much an ongoing process. I wanted to covet and possess certain shades of bliss and ecstasy. I even e-mailed Yogani and asked him: Why am I not having more 3rd eye visions!?! He replied: An open third eye is not for personal use, Bodhi Tree. Boom!--that was a friendly slap in the face. I realized: Ohhh...I've got to go out in the world and be of use for reasons other than my own personal profit (material or spiritual). But the good news is that we become functional bliss-a-holics when engaged in a modality of service. That is stillness in action.

Godspeed. Follow your dream (ishta). It sounds like you're well on your way.
Go to Top of Page

mathurs

United Kingdom
197 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2013 :  09:29:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Bodhi Tree: Your post made me laugh - but exactly what I needed to hear as well! So thanks!
Go to Top of Page

AumNaturel

Canada
687 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2013 :  5:32:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Made me laugh as well, Bodhi Tree. I like how you said it.
to you.
Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2013 :  5:58:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Today I was chairing an AA meeting and leading a roundtable discussion about the power of prayer and meditation. I told a story about how a while ago (pre-sobriety and pre-AYP) I was in danger of losing my job, and I prayed to God: "Please God, let me keep this job and I promise I'll stop drinking." Everyone laughed hysterically because the AA old-timers are well-aware of the absurdity of praying for specific outcomes, not to mention the foolishness of trying to barter with God, as if it was a business exchange. To finish the story, I explained how my manager finally told me that I wouldn't lose my job, and so that same night I bought a 6 pack of beer to celebrate. That got even more laughter. So long to my sincere promises. Such is the mind of an addict. LOL.

Now I've learned to pick up the sutra and let it go...the letting go comprising the bulk of the practice. If things go my way, that's splendid. If things don't go my way, that's equally splendid. I'll take unshakable, unconditional stillness over a string of luck or constant gratification of self-centered desires.
Go to Top of Page

winovy

USA
4 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2013 :  9:20:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Bodhi Tree, your previous post is very enlightened. Thank you for sharing.
Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2013 :  9:56:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Glad the words resonate...thank you...mathurs, AumNaturel,and winovy. Unity. Strength. Wisdom.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000