Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Forum FAQ | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 AYPsite.org Forum
 Asanas - Postures and Physical Culture
 Sun Salutations vs regular anaerobic exercises?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

now here

18 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2013 :  12:28:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I keep hearing that doing Sun Salutations can be sufficient strength training for the whole body, while also increasing energy/prana instead of getting you all exhausted. Does anyone here have any experience with this?
(I was surprised that Yogani didn't mention this revered practice in the muscle toning section of his book Asanas Mudras and Bandhas.)

Edited by - now here on Jul 03 2013 12:58:27 PM

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2013 :  5:28:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I love Sun Salutations.. and personally think it is one set of asanas that can give you a full body stretch. The only thing it misses are side bends and spinal twists... so along with sets of the Sun Saulation routine, I add the side bends and spinal twist to get everything I need in my morning stretch to open up channels and get the energy flowing before I sit for my practice.

It has been recommended by others at the forum as an aerobic workout when done at a fast pace (this practice has been discussed before at the forums, search for the words sun salutation or surya namaskar).

I enjoy the way it stretches out every muscle when done slowly, so I prefer it nice and slow, but yes doing it at a fast pace can give you a good workout as well.

Have you been practicing it NH? Do you find it useful?
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4430 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2013 :  6:58:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Now Here,

Welcome to the forum.

Yes, the primary purpose of the sun salutation practice is to open the chakras and awaken prana in the body. The science behind it is quite complex. It is all related to the breathing, the drishti points and the microcosmic orbit. It also has to do with the inversions and the breath retentions.

Practising sun salutations correctly will put you in a state of ecstasy whilst increasing the amount of energy in the body, so it is effective preparation for sitting practices.

Christi
Go to Top of Page

now here

18 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2013 :  10:23:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Shanti

I enjoy the way it stretches out every muscle when done slowly, so I prefer it nice and slow, but yes doing it at a fast pace can give you a good workout as well.

Have you been practicing it NH? Do you find it useful?

I have tried it once. I felt great afterwards and meditation was deeper than usual.

I know that Sun Salutations can be enough aerobic exercise for the day (if done fast), and I know it's an effective spiritual practice. I was just wondering if it's also a sufficient anaerobic exercise (strength training program) for the whole body?

Go to Top of Page

woosa

United Kingdom
382 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2013 :  2:42:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi

Sun salutations will get you so far, but after a while they will become easy as you accustom to them. It depends on how far you want to go with strength and aerobic conditioning.

To take it further you could go along and do the isometrics as stated in the AYP lessons, and do some cardio. Or take it even further and lift weights and do High Intensity cardio. It's entirely up to you.

All the best!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000