AYPsite.org Forum
 Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Rest / Silent Observing
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

now here

18 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2013 :  11:12:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
What is "Rest / Silent Observing"? I can't find an explanation of this practice.

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2013 :  12:05:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome to the AYP forums now here!

Where did you read/encounter the words "Rest / Silent Observing"?
In the AYP lessons/forums or somewhere else?

In AYP the "rest" period is after our practice session where we lie down or sit and relax for a few min, which helps us smoothly transition out of the meditative state into our every day living.

The rest period is mentioned in many lessons, there is no specific lesson for it... but here is one of the lessons that coves it.

http://www.aypsite.org/15.html
If the purification process is a little out of balance, some discomfort can happen -- Restlessness. Irritability. Unpleasant physical sensations. Fidgeting. Unpleasant thoughts. Things like that. Fortunately, there are ways to balance the process of meditation if there is some discomfort. The first thing to do is take plenty of time coming out of meditation. Remember that during meditation a process of inner cleansing is going on. You might not feel much is happening, but if you jump up from meditation without resting first, you could feel irritable for some time afterwards – maybe even all day. Don't take it out on your loved ones, friends and coworkers. See it for what it is, an imbalance in your practice. Always take at least a few minutes of doing nothing (relaxing, not thinking the mantra) at the end of meditation. This allows stresses and strains being released from the nervous system during meditation to dissipate harmlessly. Then, when you get up, you will feel light and refreshed. If you don't, you are probably not resting long enough. So rest at the end as long as necessary to enable a smooth transition from meditation to activity. You may even wish to lie down for a while at the end of meditation. Everyone is different. Find what is the best for you coming out of meditation.
Go to Top of Page

now here

18 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2013 :  12:15:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
It's in the AYP solo retreat schedule:
www.aypsite.org/AYPsoloRETREATschedule.doc

Two hours of "Rest / Silent Observing" per day.
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2013 :  12:22:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Gotcha!

Maybe this will help...
http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....D=6194#55873
quote:
Originally posted by mimirom

quote:
Originally posted by miguel

"Rest / Silent Observing
(One Hour)
"

I dont understand this point. How should i do this...only lying on the bed? what if i fall asleep? Must i be sit down?
Sorry,dont know very well...

Hi miguel,

this is often on schedule during Buddhist meditation retreats. I think it's what has been also called "simple resting in the present moment," for instance. I'd say it's basically relaxing while being present and wakeful, in a relaxed mode, as best you can. Not judging yourself for not being sharper then you simply are naturally. It means not reading a book or newspapers, or watching TV, or doing needlework or whatever we usually do to avoid the present moment. You can sit outside in the sun, or have a relaxed walk, or lay down a bit and watch all the things that enter the mind - sounds, emotions, thoughts (memories, speech, planing, judgment), likes, dislikes, seeing, smelling, touching, etc. Basically just not doing anything particular. Only being in the moment in a relaxed, non-judging way.
When you fall asleep, then you're taking rest - no problem, it's not zen meditation...

Hope this helps,

Roman

Go to Top of Page

now here

18 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2013 :  12:36:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks!
So it's basically the same as the rest period after meditation but not necessarily with closed eyes?
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2013 :  12:39:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah, sounds like that.
It is seems like it is doing nothing and being with it.
Sounds hard to do.

PS: If I am wrong someone will correct me I am sure.
Go to Top of Page

now here

18 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2013 :  2:46:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Perhaps "Rest / Innocent Observing" would be a better name for it?

Edited by - now here on Jun 27 2013 2:47:52 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000