Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 New here - hello and a couple of questions
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

MelodyM

United Kingdom
2 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2013 :  5:30:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi everybody, I am new to DM having recently discovered Yogani's wonderful book and have begun on my journey of daily meditation practice.

One of the reasons I searched and found this wonderful book is that I was looking for something to help with stress in my life, and something to help me feel more at peace in myself. Already I feel some small benefits, and I know it is only early days but I look forward to discovering more.

I wonder if you could help me with a question I have - I am learning how to not fight it when thoughts come up during meditation, how to allow them without struggle against them, and when I notice I am not on the mantra, to return to the mantra easily (sometimes it is easier than others, so when it is not easy, I do not struggle, but return again when it is easy again).

A few times now in my daily life outside of meditation, I have found myself thinking distressing or irritable thoughts and automatically found a part of myself naturally stopping - noticing what I am doing - and then, internally, saying the mantra. It has happened almost subconsciously. My question is - is this ok? And is it actually something I should encourage? I don't mean that I plan to go into DM every time I have a troubling thought I want to release, but is this even possibly a benefit showing up in my life from my practice of DM? That I am able to notice and stop troubling thoughts before they can 'take hold' and cause a spiral of stress?

My other question is about whether, at this early stage, I should read the Pranayama book and add that into my daily practice - or if I should wait a while?

I very much appreciate your thoughts and suggestions, thank you

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2013 :  5:43:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome to the AYP forums MelodyM!

Thank you for joining us and sharing here!

We don't recommend using the 'I am' mantra outside of sitting practice. What you do with, A few times now in my daily life outside of meditation, I have found myself thinking distressing or irritable thoughts and automatically found a part of myself naturally stopping - noticing what I am doing - and then, internally, saying the mantra. It has happened almost subconsciously. My question is - is this ok? And is it actually something I should encourage? I don't mean that I plan to go into DM every time I have a troubling thought I want to release, but is this even possibly a benefit showing up in my life from my practice of DM? That I am able to notice and stop troubling thoughts before they can 'take hold' and cause a spiral of stress? is perfect, just don't say or repeat 'I am'. Leave 'i am' for meditation only. The mantra will do a lot more than just de-stress you, so if you condition yourself to use it only for de-stressing, by using it outside of practice, then you are limiting the scope of the mantra in meditation.
Catching oneself before we spiral into the thoughts that bring us down is not an easy practice, and the fact that you can do it is huge! Wonderful!

How long have you been practicing DM? There is no harm in reading spinal breathing book, but wait till you feel stable in deep meditation before you add it. If you feel you are ready, then go for it.
Wish you all the best!
Much love!
Go to Top of Page

MelodyM

United Kingdom
2 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2013 :  6:01:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Shanti, thankyou for your welcome and your helpful reply

You have confirmed something for me that I thought also - I had a feeling it was 'good' or useful to notice my negative thought and release it, but wasn't sure if it was a good idea to then say 'I Am' internally.

It happened kind of automatically each time, so took me a little by surprise! But next time I will avoid the mantra in this situation, and just say 'Peace' or 'All is well' internally, or something like that.

It has really only been a few days, less than a week that i have been practising DM - some days 20 minutes twice daily, other days only one session. I have done other meditation before, but not a regular, daily practice. This method appeals so much to me, it's simplicity especially, though from what I read the effects are anything but simple

I will read Pranayama then and wait to introduce it when I feel ready and secure in my DM practice.

Go to Top of Page

cosmic

USA
821 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2013 :  10:47:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello and welcome
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2013 :  08:44:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi MelodyM,
I wanted to suggest a book to you, that many here have found helpful... Loving What Is by Byron Katie.

Hope things are going well.
Go to Top of Page

rce

USA
50 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2013 :  12:58:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit rce's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Just saying hi, Melody. Welcome to AYP!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.2 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000