Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 more stuff
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

lmaher22

USA
217 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2012 :  1:29:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I hate to keep mentioning the little things that happen while meditating but here I go... One thing I've noticed in the past couple of years is a seeming expansion of my stomach while I'm sitting there, almost like there was some unknown 'volume' pushing it outwards while I sit there. I don't think it happens too much anytime else, unless I eat like a pig or, as used to happen a lot, in the shower. But in the shower I thought it was the water vapor doing it. Dumb, huh? It's probably nothing but I'd just thought I'd throw it out there, mostly because I do get great insight from y'all. Or is it because no one around me loves me? :<(

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2012 :  2:03:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by lmaher22

It's probably nothing but I'd just thought I'd throw it out there,

It's not nothing...

Lesson 379 – Swallowing Air
As ecstatic conductivity advances, occasional automatic swallowing of air may occur. This is not to be confused with intentional ingestion of air, which may not produce an ideal outcome. The role of air in the GI tract is in the higher biochemistry, involving the mixing air, food and sexual essences, leading to the production of a refined product of digestion we call "soma," which rises up to the brain, where it is further processed to become "amrita" (nectar) to come back down through the sinuses and nasal passages into the GI tract, to be recycled again, and so on. This is the "nectar cycle," which leads to the radiation of ecstatic bliss from within the body. The agent of this radiation is called "ojas," which can sometimes be detected on the skin as an oily substance, sweet scent or shining radiance.

Lesson 51 - Pranayama Q&A – Strange gurglings
Q: Pranayama has been going smooth for me, and my breathing gets very slow. But something strange is happening. It feels like air is accumulating in my belly, and my intestines are making strange gurgling noises. That’s not all. I’ve noticed a glowing mint-like sensation there too. What’s happening?

A: This is an excellent sign of progress. It means that prana is being drawn up from your pelvic region into the digestive system, and air is being drawn in to mix with the prana. You have food in there too, of course. Prana, air, and food; these are the three elements that fuel a new process that occurs in our digestive system as our body transforms to a higher state of functioning.

Actually, it is the activation of the belly chakra. In Sanskrit, the language of the ancient wisdom of India, it is called, “manipura,” which means, “city of jewels,” referring to the glowing sensation you described. The Chinese are less romantic about it; in Taoism it is called “the cauldron,” referring to the mixing and cooking that goes on in the belly. By whatever name, it is a tangible process in the body that is stimulated by advancements in pranayama and meditation. As our body and nervous system gradually become purified, breath naturally begins to suspend, and a new kind of biology comes up in us.

Here is a topic on it: http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....OPIC_ID=1544
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2012 :  2:31:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
those 2 lessons (51 and 379) are amazing ...they explain perfectly what is happening over here....personally i experienced spontaneous swallowing of air during normal daily activities.,not only during sitting practices ....also i have noticed this oily bright substance on my skin,especially the face
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2012 :  2:35:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes... those lessons are really helpful...

Here is a link to another lesson that explains the Nectar cycle really well, for anyone interested.
Lesson 304 – Diet, Kundalini, and the Nectar Cycle
Go to Top of Page

lmaher22

USA
217 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2012 :  9:50:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Gee, thank you all. I really didn't think much of it and I for sure didn't think I was getting all that far. I also belive I would have abandoned med and everything else by now if not for this site.
thanks again,
L
Go to Top of Page

Zanyan

USA
54 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2013 :  10:25:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Wow. This site is fantastic. No matter what is going on in meditation practice, I can "Search" and find info on it. I keep having an experience I'm calling "Buddha Belly." When it really gets going, I can end up looking 6 months pregnant. During my second meditation session today, the force pushing my belly outward was so strong, I thought I might pop like a balloon! . At the same time, when I looked at it with inner vision, I saw a bright shining sun. It got to the point, though, that it was difficult to continue sitting. At the point I still had about 5 minutes to go of my 20 minute DM session, I lay down, and that seemed to spread the energy out a bit to a more tolerable level.

Question: Since the sensation was so strong, and my actual abdomen was pushed out to such a degree that I wanted to lay down during meditation( Out of character for me, since I'm a former Zen meditator, and well trained in sitting still as a stone no matter what happens), would this be considered overload? The sensation wasn't painful, really, just intense. I'm not sure if I was uncomfortable with the sensations, or just a bit unnerved by the very physical changes my body was undergoing. Until I lay down, my belly seemed to be pushing out further, further, further.

Edited by - Zanyan on Jun 12 2013 10:55:02 PM
Go to Top of Page

bewell

1275 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2013 :  05:27:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Zanyan
...I thought I might pop like a balloon! .

Question: Since the sensation was so strong, and my actual abdomen was pushed out to such a degree that I wanted to lay down during meditation( Out of character for me, since I'm a former Zen meditator, and well trained in sitting still as a stone no matter what happens), would this be considered overload?

... my belly seemed to be pushing out further, further, further.

Hi Zanyan,

If I had the thought, "my belly might pop like a balloon," I would probably let that thought go with an inward smile, trusting implicitly that the AYP Practices, in cooperation with the natural wisdom of the body, will support physical health and strength. I might lie down too if I were uncomfortable.

Be
Go to Top of Page

Zanyan

USA
54 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2013 :  12:29:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Lovely advice, bewell. Thank you.

Like many others, it seems, I came to this site because of overload symptoms, and I'm still working out in myself when to forge ahead and when to pull back with self-pacing.

I came from a discipline that didn't even acknowledge opening to Kundalini energy and in fact outright discouraged it if it came up naturally, so, though inner silence, emptiness are quite familiar states of being, how to self-pace opening to energy in the body is not familiar. And lying down during meditation? Not familiar at all!

Edited by - Zanyan on Jun 13 2013 12:43:18 PM
Go to Top of Page

lmaher22

USA
217 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2013 :  8:51:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Also try meditating on a totally empty tummy or increase the volume of your mantra to take your mind off it. Just a suggestion.
Good luck.
Go to Top of Page

Zanyan

USA
54 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2013 :  5:02:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thankyou, lmaher22. I'll try your suggestions if the manifestations arise again. Since I posted, I've self-paced back to 15 mins of DM vs. 20 mins, and that has helped. I still noticed my abdomen/solar plexus area pushing outward, but not to the degree it had been. During the last few days, I've not had that particular sensation, but new ones have arisen. Never a dull moment !
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000