Other Systems and Alternate Approaches
 tonglen
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JosephUK

United Kingdom
212 Posts

Posted - May 14 2013 :  02:01:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
learn tong lenv and you will know your higher selves.

expect to know your higher selves mantra and colour and give it to the colour in your mind.

connect it with the breath and breath in the suffering you feel when things are getting rough.

thats the way

Edited by - AYPforum on May 14 2013 02:29:35 AM

AYPforum

351 Posts

Posted - May 14 2013 :  02:29:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Moderator note: Topic moved for better placement
Go to Top of Page

jeff

USA
971 Posts

Posted - May 14 2013 :  5:59:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Vimala

According to Namkhai Norbu, this is a good practice to shorten your lifespan or at least, get very sick after a while...

Hi Vimala,

Where and why does Namkhai Norbu say that?

Thanks, Jeff
Go to Top of Page

Vimala

France
80 Posts

Posted - May 15 2013 :  08:19:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
According to Namkhai Norbu, this is a good practice to shorten your lifespan or at least, get very sick after a while...
Go to Top of Page

JosephUK

United Kingdom
212 Posts

Posted - May 16 2013 :  08:33:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
hey,

with current events and a large number of people doing very powerful practices such as ayp it is necessary for there to be a push for more compassion.

for as the the most realized people are moving up they are creating lots of karmic instability in the world.

that means there is emotional trauma.

what shortens the life span is karma, when practicing tonglen you breath your buddha mind or higher self through the crown and thus allow your perfect nature to begin transmuting the suffering and creating both happiness and its causes.

it is also know as the wisdom of giving and receiving and recieving again. you ask a question in your mind what do you need. a bit like how thai massage works.

Go to Top of Page

Vimala

France
80 Posts

Posted - May 17 2013 :  05:28:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by jeff

quote:
Originally posted by Vimala

Hi Vimala,

Where and why does Namkhai Norbu say that?

Thanks, Jeff

He said this on a few occasions. I don't remember precisely.
The point is that through tonglen, you train your mind to take the sufferings and illnesses of other people on you.
People usually think that "it's just a visualization, it doesn't affect the body"... but in truth, it does so in time.

So, he strongly advised to cultivate enlightenment first and gain the power to save other sentient beings... and only then act accordingly.

Ok, I've heard of the various theories of transmuting suffering and so on... but for unexplained reasons, this practice seems to produce illnesses.

You can cultivate compassion without giving up your health, in my opinion.

Go to Top of Page

jeff

USA
971 Posts

Posted - May 17 2013 :  08:25:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Vimala,

I would definitely agree that "visualizations" can have a very powerul effect on the body. I guess I can see how if in the practice you are using the mind to focus on the percieved suffering and illness, the mind could become caught up in it all and "bring it" to the body. But, if one works from the heart, I would not think that there would be the same concern.

Thanks, Jeff
Go to Top of Page

Vimala

France
80 Posts

Posted - May 17 2013 :  09:38:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi jeff,

I consider myself an ignorant, especially about tonglen. I just consider that Namkhai Norbu prefers to teach Vajra recitation (in which you take enlightened energy rather than diseases) and NEVER gave instructions on tonglen.

Please, consider that there are dozens of meditation for compassion and loving-kindness: they all work on the same principles from the Brahmavihara Dhamma to the HT's inner smile. This principle is to absorb good energy and -at least- transform your own negative energy.
Tonglen is unique and quite pretentious... it's not that old (no trace in indian yoga nor in any shamanic religion) and many people got trouble. In addition, a great Master like Norbu would never recommend it.

Controversial meditation techniques are quite rare. Why would you bother with one of them?
Go to Top of Page

jeff

USA
971 Posts

Posted - May 17 2013 :  10:14:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Vimala,

I do not practice tonglen or have any plans to start the practice. I was more interested in the concept/theory behind the concern. It seems similar to the concern I have found with many energy/spiritual healers. They tend to create energy shields to protect them from the backlash of negative energies from their patients.

Best Regards, Jeff
Go to Top of Page

JosephUK

United Kingdom
212 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2013 :  5:43:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
its also called lojong
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000