Other Systems and Alternate Approaches
 Tai Chi
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ak33

Canada
229 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2013 :  7:17:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hey guys, I was thinking about taking up Tai Chi. I've heard it is good for relaxation and handling stress. Just a few questions. Since it is related to chi (which as I understand, is prana ), would I be overloading if I did this in addition to my daily practices (5 min SBP + 20 min DM). Also, I have borrowed a few books and gotten some DVDs, but I assume its best to learn from a teacher? Has anyone experienced this martial art, if so please share some insights

AumNaturel

Canada
687 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2013 :  8:29:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Ak33, Tai Chi is mentioned a few times (see topic index), and the one that comes to mind is from the support forum postings book http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....D=2718#23743 One of those mentions that it is up to you to determine how you react to it with respect to self-pacing, grounding and the AYP practices.

I don't really have anything to say about it, insight wise. Probably safe to say it too requires daily practice with dedication and perseverance over a long time to begin to see results. I now do yoga for a number of reasons that are personal, one of which is that it fits me and I was suddenly and irresistibly drawn to it, but under different circumstances with more time & energy could imagine also keeping up an experimental routine alongside that core focus.
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2013 :  9:22:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi AK,
I know of a few in AYP who do tai chi regularly and from what I have heard, it is very grounding. Do a search on the word tai chi and you will see many topics on it.
Go to Top of Page

Mykal K

Germany
267 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2013 :  05:29:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mykal K's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Ak33,
I practice kung fu, but my brother in law practices Tai chi, and he has said once how his teacher just gently touches him at certain places, and his stance becomes totally different(better). So, in that respect, it could be better (if you have a good teacher) to study from a teacher, as there are fine points in the art, that is if you wish to learn it truly.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000